• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Alright. Let's hear them. Accidental discharges, shooting towards people, and the likes. Everyone has a story so let's reminisce on how we were once dumb and how we have become smarter.

The first one that pops into my mind was shooting spray paint cans at my dad's house in high school. I didn't think ahead enough to realize there would be paint everywhere... Man I'm surprised I didn't get my ass whooped that day. Who knew my dad couldn't take a joke.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    When I was 16 me and several friends in Nevada were out shooting cottontails with .22's. We were standing in a group and I said "My gun is empty, see?" I pointed it towards the ground and pulled the trigger. I shot the toe of a friends' shoe missing his toes by millimeters. They wouldn't let me shoot the rest of the night, no sense of humor.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    My brother in law was shooting with his friend out in the desert once. He shot a 22 which ricochet and hit his friend in the shin. Bro in law guilt tripped his friend and told him "I drove you all the way out here to shoot and now you want me to take you all the way to the hospital". His friend sucked it up and finished shooting with a bandana tied around his leg. Glad I missed that trip.

One night drinking and smoking pot (school day habits of the past) with friends in high school a guy was going to shoot a beer can with a hipoint carbine. He just scored with the hick I was chasing and I wasn't exactly his friend at that time (became great friends later). I told him to put the muzzle right against the can because "the muzzle blast would blow all the beer forward", knowing full well it wouldn't. He got soaked in beer and had to go home smelling like beer that night. He chased me for a few minutes before calming down. I don't know why he didn't just shoot me.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I was about 14 or so and was using my Benjamin pump .22 air rifle in the front yard. I decided to shoot a Coke bottle. I knew I wasn't supposed to shoot glass but I put it in an area where the cleanup would be easy and all evidence would be gone before my parents got home.

Standing on the front porch, shooting offhand at the bottle about 15-20 yards away, I let fly. I swear I watched the pellet go out, hit the bottle dead center, then come straight back. The pellet struck me right in the center of the sternum, breaking skin but bouncing off.

The bottle was barely marked. I had to spend a week making sure I kept my chest covered so that no one would see the minor wound.

To this day, I retain two bits of learning from the incident -
    1. I am wary of shooting at resilient backgrounds of any sort, and
    2. Coke bottles sure were thick back then!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Was using an old worn Remington 870 12ga.
    Had a double feed where the bolt is closed on a live round with another live round pushed back out of the mag tube jammng up under the bolt.
    Requires very careful trigger removal to clear.
    Laid the gun in the back of my truck on one of those hard plastic carrying cases.
    As i was wriggling the trigger mechanism out of the receiver BOOM!
    Shot blasted the end of the plastic case apart and slammed into the back wall of the truck bed. Made a big dent but didn't puncture the metal.
    Loose shot splattered back at me but thankfully it was spent and just lightly struck me.
    Yeah, I had to change my pants.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I was about 14 or so and was using my Benjamin pump .22 air rifle in the front yard. I decided to shoot a Coke bottle. I knew I wasn't supposed to shoot glass but I put it in an area where the cleanup would be easy and all evidence would be gone before my parents got home.

Standing on the front porch, shooting offhand at the bottle about 15-20 yards away, I let fly. I swear I watched the pellet go out, hit the bottle dead center, then come straight back. The pellet struck me right in the center of the sternum, breaking skin but bouncing off.

The bottle was barely marked. I had to spend a week making sure I kept my chest covered so that no one would see the minor wound.

Glad I'm not the only one... Except mine was a jelly jar. Watched it come straight back and hit me just off center where my nose meets my forehead. This all just minutes after I got my first BB gun and my mom telling me not to shoot any glass with it. I barely had a scrape but it bled for a little bit. Nowhere near as powerful as what you were shooting g though.

Moonpie, glad you survived that one!

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Ahh, BB guns count?
    At ~ age 10 (5th or 6th grade) hunting sparrows at my g'mothers house. Shot into a vine on the side of the house. BB came back & hit me in the corner of the eye. Dried up my tear duct on that side for awhile. I told NO ONE!

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

And the score is in, Coke:1 Ben:0

Reactions: rp-

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Ahh, BB guns count?
    At ~ age 10 (5th or 6th grade) hunting sparrows at my g'mothers house. Shot into a vine on the side of the house. BB came back & hit me in the corner of the eye. Dried up my tear duct on that side for awhile. I told NO ONE!
    That's ok, it's on Facebook now.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    When i was 8 with my new bb gun, i got bored shooting inanimare objects, and figured out if you shot a chicken in the ass they would jump straight up in the air, squawk, and run like hell. Oh what fun that was. Until a few days later and all the chickens started dying for no reason. My dad had no sense of humor after he found the bb's in the dead ones.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    In the late 90's we were out at the local range and we had some steel plate targets set up. A 45 would knock them over, but a 9mm wouldn't. One of my friends showed up with his newly tactarded mini 14. He kept nagging me to try it out on the course we had set up with those plates, and see how fast I could clear it. I noticed that when I shot those plates the bullet would ricochet off and into the side berms, so i took out all the targets to the sides first and worked my way towards the middle. He stayed right behind me the whole time, making every step I did. When I got to the last target straight ahead of me, I was about to pull the trigger when I realized if the bullet ricoched it would come straight at me, so I took a few steps to my left and took out the last target. Which was followed by a blood curdling scream, and then someone yelling " you shot me". When I moved to the side before shooting the last target, he stood where he was. Luckily the bullet hit the ground first, and expelled most of its energy. Then bounced up, went through his pants leg, and came to a stop between his jeans and his thigh. The hot bullet did give him a pretty good burn on his thigh though.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Out on the Ranch with my Dad in his station wagon, looking for Hawks and whatever we could find to shoot. Two people in the back seat, the older kid behind me was Ranch family.
    Driving along and all of the sudden, BOOM.
    The individual behind me touched off a .243 through the floor pan right behind me.
    We were stopped for a while, lol.

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    Shooting an old clutch plate for a steel gong from about 75 yards away. Broke out the M44 and loaded up some surplus stuff and hit it twice. First time I hit it I heard the zip of the ricochet but didn't think anything of it. Second shot came straight back at me. I heard the loud tearing denim sound and thought "I need to move behind something" about the time it felt like someone hit me in the arm with a baseball bat. Called it quits on the clutch plate and went to take a look at it. Huge divots where the x54R dug into it. Guess it sent one back at me. Next day I had a fist sized purple bruise on my shoulder. Was always skittish around steel after that until the AR steel targets started coming out and being more and more available.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    When we were kids, me and my brother got mad at each other. Mom took the BBs away when she caught us loading the Daisy rifles.
    Toothpicks also work well at beroom range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I was at a range sighting in an AK one time. A bird landed on the top of the berm while I was reloading. Nobody else was around. A puff of feathers later and only one of us went home to our family. Poor range etiquette.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    When we were kids, me and my brother got mad at each other. Mom took the BBs away when she caught us loading the Daisy rifles.
    Toothpicks also work well at beroom range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    We used to use Guinea pig food pellets in pellet pistols and have gunfights. They don't hurt quite as much as real pellets.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I more or less did the same thing, only with a thin rock and a bb gun. The nice big welt on my neck taught me about ricochets.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    My brothers and I used to shoot those big old white tipped kitchen matches out of the Benjamin pellet gun.
    They would light up when they hit.
    Do not do this around grassy areas.
    Please do not ask me how i know this.

Top Bottom