• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Sigh, again, for those who have actually used HK customer service, and not just joined the hate parade, their CS is very very good, not on par with LWRC
    (who based on personal experience and reviews have been top class) but still very good.
    Hurley's Gold

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Smith and wesson did ...

Good for you. I have had the same experience with several companies, but IMO, getting a replacement part after visual inspection is good CS. That's the way I would run my company, otherwise you wind up with dirtbags taking advantage of you.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Why not to buy anything from HK, by Larry Correia

Warning: do not click on that link if you are eating/drinking, unless you want to clean your screen and keyboard.

That is a lot of hate for just one article!

I will disagree on his opinion of the G3/91, I own one and love it. If I had to leave my house with only one weapon it would be the HK91. This is primarily my desire to own a MR556A1. I am hoping it is will have the same rock solid reliability.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Do you know this for sure?

From the HK website:
    Unlike earlier prototypes, major subassemblies, including the MR556A1 upper receiver/barrel assembly, are fully interchangeable with other high quality AR-style firearms. MR556A1 upper receiver kits can be used to retrofit competing legacy AR systems.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    HK customer service got way better after that guy coined the phrase "hk because you suck and we hate you" because he coined it right in front of the guy who owns HK and some firearms trade show. The owner invited the guy to the plant and asked why he had come up with that phrase and what they could do to improve upon it. To stay on topic, I'm not paying 3k for a gun that isn't any better than a colt 6920.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Frisco, TX
    I'm an HK fan, but do not see a 300%+ premium over my my Colt 6920.

^^^ This. Does the HK offer 3x more benefit/performance over a tier 1 AR? IMO, hell freaking no.

If you want a piston gun, then get one that was designed ground up to be a piston rifle like the SCAR or even ACR.

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    Its hard to compare mass product guns versus more individualized guns. A bulk gun will always be cheaper. Colt 6920 is a fine weapon but doesnt have full ambi controls, quad rail, di, etc.

Now I think there is a premium on HK products, and the are not focused on commercial market place as others. But its OK.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    ^^^ This. Does the HK offer 3x more benefit/performance over a tier 1 AR? IMO, hell freaking no.

If you want a piston gun, then get one that was designed ground up to be a piston rifle like the SCAR or even ACR.

I already have a SCAR and ACR... Both are fine examples of a piston rifle. The HK is heavier than either one. I hope the added weight is being used in an effective manner and not as just ballast... When you hold an MR556A1 it feels like there is nothing you can do to accidentally break it. It feels like a substantial weapon. To me the SCAR feels like a toy. Of course I will probably only shoot it at a range, and not have to hump it over a couple of clicks with a full loadout...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think if i went HK i would want something different, maybe a G36, not sure about a civilian version but they are different. Unless it shoots better than any other piston ar platform i don't see a reason to go HK for an AR.

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    When you hold an MR556A1 it feels like there is nothing you can do to accidentally break it. It feels like a substantial weapon.
    That is H&K love making you feel that way. In no way is the H&K any stronger than any other AR. It is substantial because it has an overweight free float handguard and overweight gas piston system. You can get a lighter rifle from Daniel Defense that can take as much abuse as an H&K.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    Sometimes it just comes down to wanting something even if it isn't the cheapest or most rational choice. Cars, houses, motorcycles, guns and many other purchases fall within that category. If you want it and can afford it, go for it! My mother still claims I could get by with a Corolla for much cheaper. She's right, I could, but I can afford something more to my liking.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I love the HK91 as a battle rifle, but even it has it's issues. A $3000 AR? No thanks... HK's are nice in general, but they aren't THAT nice.

As far as piston guns go, you still have to clean them. It's not a magic cure for lazy maintenance. If you skip cleaning the piston, after 2k rounds or so you'll start to see issues. Hell, even AK's need to be cleaned every once in a while.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Frisco, TX
    You're absolutely right, and I agree. If I got an HK416/MR556, it's mostly, if not all, out of desire.

Having said that, would you pay 2-3x more for a car that looks like a Corolla, drives like a Corolla, and feels like a Corolla, but with the only difference being oil changes on this more expensive Corolla are much less frequent?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Just my opinion, and I am biased. The MR556 is a nice gun. It does nothing that a $1k Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM, M&P15, or other high quality base model AR won't do. Here's my recommendation:

-Buy a $1k high quality AR, a dozen extra mags, a good sling, and a sight adjustment tool
    -Buy a few cases of ammo
    -Go browse the Training Section of this forum
    -Sign up for a training course or 2 from Grey Group with the remaining money

I PROMISE you, the experience you'll get taking a training course or two from some of the former tier 1 BTDT types will be worth far more in the long run than the looks you might get having the "cool" gun on the range. I can't reinforce this point enough.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    I would disagree that the HK is no better than some of the rifles named here. I would not risk my life on a Bushy or some of the other rifles mentioned.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Just my opinion, and I am biased. The MR556 is a nice gun. It does nothing that a $1k Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM, M&P15, or other high quality base model AR won't do. Here's my recommendation:

-Buy a $1k high quality AR, a dozen extra mags, a good sling, and a sight adjustment tool
    -Buy a few cases of ammo
    -Go browse the Training Section of this forum
    -Sign up for a training course or 2 from Grey Group with the remaining money

I PROMISE you, the experience you'll get taking a training course or two from some of the former tier 1 BTDT types will be worth far more in the long run than the looks you might get having the "cool" gun on the range. I can't reinforce this point enough.

I am sure that the training course is an excellent investment in time, for those with enough time to spare to enjoy it. For me, it is never about the coolest gun at the range. If you are paying $500 or more for a weapon, it should be considered an investment. Owning a desirable gun inherently makes it more valuable. It is the same with a car, or house, or land. If you spend a little more money up front, you may see a dividend on the back side. I have made made some good investment decisions and some bad ones. Trouble is, you never know up front which way it is going to be.

Top Bottom