• SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I am sure that the training course is an excellent investment in time, for those with enough time to spare to enjoy it. For me, it is never about the coolest gun at the range. If you are paying $500 or more for a weapon, it should be considered an investment. Owning a desirable gun inherently makes it more valuable. It is the same with a car, or house, or land. If you spend a little more money up front, you may see a dividend on the back side. I have made made some good investment decisions and some bad ones. Trouble is, you never know up front which way it is going to be.

I would not look at firearms as an investment, UNLESS you're talking about some sort of rare ones, machineguns, or extremely old and/or collectable firearms (say 100+y/o fine side by sides for example). The MR556 is never going to fetch more money than it is currently going for. There's nothing particularly special about it to achieve some sort of rare status, and production was not extremely limited. Maybe it might maintain it's value, but it is not going to appreciate, I can pretty much guarantee you that. Personally, I look at these as bullet launchers for killing stuff, and that they should be treated accordingly. I might feel differently if we were talking about a 110yr old side by side.
    Venture Surplus ad

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I would not look at firearms as an investment, UNLESS you're talking about some sort of rare ones, machineguns, or extremely old and/or collectable firearms (say 100+y/o fine side by sides for example). The MR556 is never going to fetch more money than it is currently going for. There's nothing particularly special about it to achieve some sort of rare status, and production was not extremely limited. Maybe it might maintain it's value, but it is not going to appreciate, I can pretty much guarantee you that. Personally, I look at these as bullet launchers for killing stuff, and that they should be treated accordingly. I might feel differently if we were talking about a 110yr old side by side.

Several common firearms that I purchased in the 90's appreciated significantly. I do not think a run of the mill black gun will ever increase in value. But by the responses I see on here, not many people are buying MR556's, fewer available means higher cost. I use the online Gun Blue Book which shows the historical value of common firearms. Even since 2005 it is amazing how much more premium guns cost now. I think a gun could be compared to gold, in that it has intrinsic value. It may not appreciate, but I would rather hold it than paper money.

Top Bottom