• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    .... You need to improve your reading comprehension.

Here we go again with the I can't read thing.

Your post implied to me, and very possibly others, that the Alvarado to Itasca stretch was in the 75 mph zone. And houses on FM67 South of the Johnson county line off I35, still have a Grandview address even though they are technically outside the official city limits, so I, and may others who live in the area still refer to it as Grandview, or just outside Grandview.

Sorry I'm not as technically specific as you, although I doubt all your posts would hold up 100% to scrutiny if you want to nitpick.

Again, it's all my fault though. My reading comprehension is pathetic.:cool:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    As if 70 is so much safer than 75.

I won't argue that point, although I do find it strange that when you get into the metromess, when the speed limit was 55, everyone seemed to drive 70. When they raised the speed limits back to 65 or 70, too many folks are still driving 55.

Perhaps people stay with the speed they learned to drive at? I don't understand it, but it's frustrating to be on a 3 or 4 lane road and have cars lined up shoulder to shoulder all driving 7- 10 mph below the speed limit when you can see the clearing up ahead where everyone could go if someone would just get out of the way.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    download (1).jpeg

oldag and F350-6

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    No response. They must be somewhere outside Grandview making out.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Here we go again with the I can't read thing.

Your post implied to me, and very possibly others, that the Alvarado to Itasca stretch was in the 75 mph zone. And houses on FM67 South of the Johnson county line off I35, still have a Grandview address even though they are technically outside the official city limits, so I, and may others who live in the area still refer to it as Grandview, or just outside Grandview.

Sorry I'm not as technically specific as you, although I doubt all your posts would hold up 100% to scrutiny if you want to nitpick.

Again, it's all my fault though. My reading comprehension is pathetic.:cool:

You read it that way. That is not what it said. And even if it was implied, was it really worth your sniping?

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    You read it that way. That is not what it said. And even if it was implied, was it really worth your sniping?

My apologies. I forgot you were so thin skinned (quick to cast stones at even a possible hint of being slighted). I'll pay more attention before I quote someone in the future.

I just thought it was prudent to point out where the speed limit change was when talking about speed traps since you covered both sides of the line in your post.

Me and my poor reading comprehension are going to enjoy a cold one now.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Well, Im the new guy here, and wouldnt ya know it....I live in Teague.

Not only am I a supporter of our PD but I have also been instrumental in building said organization by serving on City Council for a number of years (albeit around 10 years ago) Also do the FD and the Medic thing so I have a fair idea of what happens around here

Its a pretty good group, or has been in the past. Honestly there has been significant turnover of all city personnel in recent years (myself
    included:argue: ) and Im not so familiar with anyone nowadays.

Never could get pay scales up to a reasonable level to dictate top flight people therefore the dept. has always been used as a stepping stone to the Sheriffs dept or DPS. Yes we have our ups and downs/goods and bads like anyone else would.

As far as a small town not having a dept. I dont understand that line of thought. If you yourself lived out here in a rural city you would probably feel differently. You can get anywhere in our town in two minutes but to wait on Sheriff or DPS it could be 30 min to an hour depending on what end of the county they are on. Not too acceptable.

Never really ran speed traps to increase city coffers although the temptation is always there and could be easily exploited as it is in other towns. Days of old Jersey Village just north of Houston is the one that came to my mind. In todays world its Palmer/Wilmer/Hutchins corridor on I-45. Its my understanding that they run traffic court in the high school gymnasium.

Anyways....I like my little town OK

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Well, Im the new guy here, and wouldnt ya know it....I live in Teague.

Not only am I a supporter of our PD but I have also been instrumental in building said organization by serving on City Council for a number of years (albeit around 10 years ago) Also do the FD and the Medic thing so I have a fair idea of what happens around here

Its a pretty good group, or has been in the past. Honestly there has been significant turnover of all city personnel in recent years (myself
    included:argue: ) and Im not so familiar with anyone nowadays.

Never could get pay scales up to a reasonable level to dictate top flight people therefore the dept. has always been used as a stepping stone to the Sheriffs dept or DPS. Yes we have our ups and downs/goods and bads like anyone else would.

As far as a small town not having a dept. I dont understand that line of thought. If you yourself lived out here in a rural city you would probably feel differently. You can get anywhere in our town in two minutes but to wait on Sheriff or DPS it could be 30 min to an hour depending on what end of the county they are on. Not too acceptable.

Never really ran speed traps to increase city coffers although the temptation is always there and could be easily exploited as it is in other towns. Days of old Jersey Village just north of Houston is the one that came to my mind. In todays world its Palmer/Wilmer/Hutchins corridor on I-45. Its my understanding that they run traffic court in the high school gymnasium.

Anyways....I like my little town OK
    No, I wouldn’t. Small town police departments are all about revenue generation. I live in a small fairly rural town. If you call our PD for an actual crime, they tell you to call the county.

Disband. Them. All.
    There is really nothing I can think of that would require me to call the local police to my residence. My neighbors all feel the same way.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I think I'd like to see two things happen....

1. Dissolve the local PD and fold it into the Sheriff's Department. They can use the current PD offices as a substation for the SD.

2. Operate the SD like the Fire Department.... https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7871434

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Speaking of folding some departments into others, the ones that make no sense to me are constables. When you see them pulling someone over for a traffic violation that seems rather odd. Brazos County has two Constable precincts, two police departments for Bryan and College Station, a Sheriff's office and Texas A&M PD. Holy redundancy batman! How much do we pay for administrative costs for each of these all doing the same things but separately.

I have no problem with officers out driving around but let's take a look at primary vs secondary offenses. Tint, seat belts, texting, burned out headlight, etc should not be primary offenses.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Off-Topic Warning
    I have no problem with officers out driving around but let's take a look at primary vs secondary offenses. Tint, seat belts, texting, burned out headlight, etc should not be primary offenses.
    I've always felt that what you call secondary offenses should never be used pre-emptively for revenue generation. IOW, I don't think noncommercial vehicles should be subjected to safety inspections by private entities that have a profit motive to find problems whether they exist or not.

In states (Are there any left?) where there were no vehicle inspections, poor people could drive crap cars, enabling them to get to jobs. If people got pulled over for moving violations, the LEO would perform a roadside safety check and write more tickets, if warranted. The system was workable and eliminated a whole layer of bureaucracy.

To go mildly back on topic - I think the same principle should be applied to redundant local LEAs, too. Yes, I know that Constables do all sorts of good things. In my particular location, for example, I'd call the local Constable substation before I called 911 because I know they'd be here in 2 minutes. But if that same substation were staffed by the county Sheriff, if could work just as well.

In addition, I've also had too much contact with small local PDs whose conduct was often less than helpful. Their communities would have been better served by their dissolution.

We have to be careful, though, to not take this line of thought to its ultimate conclusion. There are plenty of countries who have a standard, nationwide set of laws that don't adapt to local conditions and where local LEOs are organizationally just a part of the national police force. When you get to that point, you have a single point of failure. When that LEA goes bad, the whole country suffers.

Some redundancy is needed. As long as we have separate states, we'll have that. And we'll also have to remember if our pocket knives just became illegal because we crossed a state line.

Alas, no system is perfect.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    What I like about the Sheriff is I get a say in the department’s performance.

I’d rather have all law enforcement done in a county be performed by the Sheriff.

Constables, also elected officials, should solely be responsible for, and limited to, serving summonses.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    In states (Are there any left?) where there were no vehicle inspections, poor people could drive crap cars, enabling them to get to jobs.

Arkansas, no annual inspections at all. See a few crap pickups driven my old tie died hippies, but it's not a noticeable problem.

Top Bottom