• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Anyway. One of the guys on the Colorado trip brough a work sharp.
    It took nearly 20 minutes, but I finally got a good edge on the kabar with it.
    Probably would have taken several more hpurs by hand.
    Hard steel for sure. Work sharp handled kershaws and gerbers easily.

I'm gonna get me one.
    I would advise to get the Ken Onion one
    DK Firearms

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Using a set of stones to sharpen a knife is a skill all men should know!
    Agreed! But once learned doesn't mean you have to take the time to do it. It's like changing oil. You should know how, but I haven't changed my own in many years.

TheKnifeHobbyist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2015
    I have a shop in cypress. I do custom Knifes and Leatherwork. I use the work sharp to sharpen all my knifes it works well and you can sharpen many different degrees quickly for different blade styles. Not good for forming or changing the degree the belts are thin and fragile. Now if I could only get them to sponsor me.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    WorkSharp-Ken Onion saved me and my pup this morning.
    Thank gawd for a sharp knife.

Walking her, one of her turds somehow stuck fast to the long hair on her tail.
    Poor baby, three blocks from home and she wasn't going anywhere with that damned thing following her.

And I damned sure didn't want to pick her up ...

Red78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    San Antonio
    Can anyone recommend a strop from somewhere like Amazon for finishing the blades? I keep reading about strops but know nothing.

I bought the 12" strop mounted on the board, plus the green stropping compound from this site:
    http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Strops-C11.aspx

They also sell the Work Sharp. I have been using the Work Sharp for about 3 years now, and I'll never use anything else again. I finish with the strop with the compound on it. My knives are the sharpest they've ever been, it's actually fun to sharpen them, and best of all, it's fast.

A few things I've learned having used one for a while now.
    * Depending on the blade, it can and often does leave "rub marks" above the edge. They come from drawing the knife through the guide. Not an issue for me, but something to think about if you are considering using it on an expensive collector knife.
    * On a very dull knife, and sometimes even on a new knife, I'll start with the coarse belt, just to get the angle set quicker. Then, the medium, then the fine.
    * The strop with the compound works wonders. If you are happy with what the Work Sharp does for your knives, you'll really be happy with the strop. I had never owned one prior to this one, so it took a little experimenting. But I finally got it down.
    * It's already been said, but the Work Sharp works great on scissors & serrated blades.

And with that, I hope to upgrade to the Ken Onion - it'll be on my Christmas list.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    WorkSharp-Ken Onion saved me and my pup this morning.
    Thank gawd for a sharp knife.

Walking her, one of her turds somehow stuck fast to the long hair on her tail.
    Poor baby, three blocks from home and she wasn't going anywhere with that damned thing following her.

And I damned sure didn't want to pick her up ...

What an endorsement!

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    What an endorsement!

Welp, it was indeed a true life story. ;)

I do have the Ken Onion version, and I also own the full monte version, the WS3000, that I've used in the shop to sharpen plane irons and chisels for a number of years.

I'm sold on WorkSharp's products. In sixty plus years of woodworking I've used every available sharpening system, from Arkansas stones, to wet stones, to the Scary Sharp method, and nothing yet beats WorkSharp.

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    Like I said earlier, almost all of my knives are high end, and I am only going with what I have been told by experts that actually make knives and are what they would call themselves "knife nerds".

They say if you are using this on a $25 dollar pocket knife, fine. I am pretty sure I will not be using one of these on any of my $300-$1000 Busse Knives.
    Thanks but no, stone may take a bit longer on really good steel, but really good steel deserves the time.

You... you do realize one end is a tiny slack belt, right?

Top Bottom