• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    That's a pretty big price difference between the ken onion edition and the original edition. Please let us know if you think it's worth the extra money.

I thought it was worth it. 5 belts vs 3. With more belts you get smaller differences in grits as you move from coarse to fine. And more control over speed and angles. Depends on what matters to you.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I thought it was worth it. 5 belts vs 3. With more belts you get smaller differences in grits as you move from coarse to fine. And more control over speed and angles. Depends on what matters to you.
    Belts are cheap and they all fit, want 5 then buy them.

I just looked at these yesterday: Diff between ken onion and the regular model :

More powerful motor
    built overall sturdier
    designed with ability to sharpen tools, shovels, hoes, large heavy cutting surfaces

As the guy as Cabela's said if you are not sharpening shovels and big tools then get the smaller one and or if you are just using it to sharpen your house knives and hunting knives from time to time the regular one will do.

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    The other difference is the guide that has variable angle settings. I think the original had slip on guard with a set angle. The KO has a knob that'll dial up an angle.

As for the belts, I don't think the belts between the two are interchangeable

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Belts are cheap and they all fit, want 5 then buy them.

I just looked at these yesterday: Diff between ken onion and the regular model :

More powerful motor
    built overall sturdier
    designed with ability to sharpen tools, shovels, hoes, large heavy cutting surfaces

As the guy as Cabela's said if you are not sharpening shovels and big tools then get the smaller one and or if you are just using it to sharpen your house knives and hunting knives from time to time the regular one will do.

My regular version sharpens tools just fine. Already did a shovel, ax, mower blade, machete, and a few more.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I have expensive knives for the most part. Not sure I would want to sharpen them on what is basically a belt sander. I'll stick to stones and doing by hand.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I got it in yesterday and after about an hour of learning curve I have it mastered and I am very happy. All of my pocket knives are shaving sharp again. For the first time all of my serrated blades are factory sharp again also. I have never been able to re-sharpen those serrations with flat stones.
    After I was finished with my hunting and pocket knives, I took to the kitchen and touched up several large and small knives also.

The instructions were very detailed and when you follow them you get outstanding results.
    I think the extra money spent on the KO edition was worth it.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    You guys that use this do realize that if you screw up and super heat your blade on what is essentially a belt sander you will ruin the temper of the steel and thus ruin your knife, right?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lots of tools can cause damage when not used correctly.

Have you actually use one of these to have an idea of how long it would take to get the blade too hot?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You guys that use this do realize that if you screw up and super heat your blade on what is essentially a belt sander you will ruin the temper of the steel and thus ruin your knife, right?
    This thing is really just for resharpening the edge, which shouldn't generate that much heat. If you're trying to re-profile with it then that is a concern. You could always re-harden it if you have to, tho. I don't really know enough about the fancy tool steels, but good ole high carbon can be re-hardened with a rosebud tipped acetylene torch and tempered in any oven.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    To affect the temper you will need to achieve about 400 - 1000 F degrees and leave it there long enough to heat the blade.The sanding belt is only about 1/2 - 3/4 of an in wide to begin with, paper backed and were it to hit the temps needed to affect the temper it would have long since disintegrated.

Remember the blade is metal and that in itself is a heat sink, so just getting the edge a little hot for a few seconds will not affect the temper, nor will putting it in boiling water, another old myth...if your steal is that poor then that is a knife you should not waste your time carrying...

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    To affect the temper you will need to achieve about 400 - 1000 F degrees and leave it there long enough to heat the blade.The sanding belt is only about 1/2 - 3/4 of an in wide to begin with, paper backed and were it to hit the temps needed to affect the temper it would have long since disintegrated.

Remember the blade is metal and that in itself is a heat sink, so just getting the edge a little hot for a few seconds will not affect the temper, nor will putting it in boiling water, another old myth...if your steal is that poor then that is a knife you should not waste your time carrying...
    Like I said earlier, almost all of my knives are high end, and I am only going with what I have been told by experts that actually make knives and are what they would call themselves "knife nerds".

They say if you are using this on a $25 dollar pocket knife, fine. I am pretty sure I will not be using one of these on any of my $300-$1000 Busse Knives.
    Thanks but no, stone may take a bit longer on really good steel, but really good steel deserves the time.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013

I guess you have never seen one of these used or even read the instructions on one of these.

The machine has a variable speed control and there is a matrix in the instructions about what speed to use on different blades.
    The belts that come with the machine have been engineered for the job they are designed to do.

Why don't you tell me what temperature "super heat" is for my knives and I will do everything I can to avoid ruining my knives on this untested, unproven, knife ruining, mad max, Rube Goldberg, new fangled, machine.

I'm sure that Ken Onion and Work Sharp not waking up worried today at your insightful observation and stern warning.

You don't have to fear new things, nobody is telling you to stop using what you want to.:green:

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Yeah, the guys on the various knife forums and the local guys I have spoken to are all full of shit. You have convinced me.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you don't like it, don't use it.

I've yet to see any evidence e that this little gadget damages knives when used correctly and I'm seeing a lot of evidence that it puts a pretty good edge on them.

You seem to be bent on convincing everyone they might as well be putting their knife on the belt sander in the wood shop.

We get it, you prefer stones. That's just fine, don't buy the Work sharp. Or at least use one and have a shrewd of experience with it to back up your unfounded assumption that it will destroy knives.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Hey, I told you I was convinced! The people who do this for a living that say it is very easy to damage your blade on one of these are wrong.I defer to the wisdom of something that was written on the box of the product.

Top Bottom