• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Like I said earlier, almost all of my knives are high end, and I am only going with what I have been told by experts that actually make knives and are what they would call themselves "knife nerds".

They say if you are using this on a $25 dollar pocket knife, fine. I am pretty sure I will not be using one of these on any of my $300-$1000 Busse Knives.
    Thanks but no, stone may take a bit longer on really good steel, but really good steel deserves the time.
    Sounds like a LOT of ELITISM talking more than anything else. If those knives are so good then they were tempered at well beyond 400 degrees.

Here is a knife, given to me Christmas '66, took it to Vietnam, Korea, German and a lot of other places across the world, its hunted from the Arctic Circle to Russia and S Texas and S America. Held meat over a fire to cook been sharpened on rocks, diamonds and a belt sander many times, the serrations have all but been sharpened off and the real Stag scales are worn smooth, blood has stained it till its almost black. Its gutted and skinned more animals than a half dozen zoos from Musk Ox to Black and Brown Bears x7, you name it that knife has done it.

I finally retired it about a couple of years ago and bought the same one as shown on the right and it will still sharpen to the point I can cut the tops of my fingerprints off and trust me, it has not lost its temper.

And...It cost $40 bucks new!

20112009115.jpg
    Guns International

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I just saw on youtube that ranchers are using the work sharp to heat up their branding irons with now. It's also handy to heat your blade up to cauterize wounds. Heck, last night, our heat went out and I just duct taped a cheap Chinese knife on mine and it kept the whole house toasty all night.

it's a handy little machine for sure

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Thank you OC. You won a bet for me. I knew you would bring up Vietnam in this discussion. Are you sure you are not John Kerry?;)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Sounds like a LOT of ELITISM talking more than anything else. If those knives are so good then they were tempered at well beyond 400 degrees.

Here is a knife, given to me Christmas '66, took it to Vietnam, Korea, German and a lot of other places across the world, its hunted from the Arctic Circle to Russia and S Texas and S America. Held meat over a fire to cook been sharpened on rocks, diamonds and a belt sander many times, the serrations have all but been sharpened off and the real Stag scales are worn smooth, blood has stained it till its almost black. Its gutted and skinned more animals than a half dozen zoos from Musk Ox to Black and Brown Bears x7, you name it that knife has done it.

I finally retired it about a couple of years ago and bought the same one as shown on the right and it will still sharpen to the point I can cut the tops of my fingerprints off and trust me, it has not lost its temper.

And...It cost $40 bucks new!

View attachment 31253

Uhhh, 40 bucks huh. That's a hell of a discount.

239046bd2cf2bb8f5c5b43f9f63da1fb.jpg

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Y'all stop bitching at each other.

I like my WorkSharp. The only criticism I have is that it does appear to put a rounded tip on the blades. Others have confirmed this as well. I'm not sure if that's a design problem or a user error, but it's common.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Y'all stop bitching at each other.

I like my WorkSharp. The only criticism I have is that it does appear to put a rounded tip on the blades. Others have confirmed this as well. I'm not sure if that's a design problem or a user error, but it's common.
    in the video that came with mine they teach you how to avoid doing that
    You do not pull the tip fully through instead stop the machine with the tip still on it

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You seem to be bent on convincing everyone they might as well be putting their knife on the belt sander in the wood shop.
    Nevermind the fact that the vast majority of knives including ones from custom makers were sharpened on a belt sander before being put in the box:laughing:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    don't flatter yourself, if I read them its by accident, not on purpose. I guess every forum like every class has to have a clown...

Suuuurree;)

To the pout though, you said Hoji was being an elitist after he mentioned having expensive knives. Then you go on talking about how awesome your old knife was and when needed, you replaced it with another of the same make and model. and it only cost $40!

That gives a pretty dishonest impression considering that in reality and today's market, it is NOT a $40 knife. And you know as well as anybody that the value of $40 is not the same today as it was in '66.

You tried to call him out on his elitism by being intellectually dishonest about your cheap $40 knife. You knew it was not really a $40 knife by any current standards.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    OC, that's a cool knife. Where'd you get it if you don't mind saying?
    Dave it was a gift to me in Christmas of '66, I had got my draft notice and was going in 25 jan '67, so my buddies got together and bought me this knife at a local sporting goods store. They are great knives. Its a basic knife, nothing exotic about the steel, scales, but its the design of the blade that sets it apart. Chopping, hammering, skinning, cutting tendons/rope, slicing meat on a plate, anything you do out there this knife will be a valuable tool to accomplish the task. I know a lot of serious hunters that carry it for that reason. Sat around a campfire with many of them and we all laugh that its just a basic tool...yea, be cool to have it made from UnObtainium, hardended to Rocknut 1756 and scales made from the scrotum sack of a Sasquatch. But if you use your knife and functionality is more important than it being designed by the world famous knife designer Joe Chit D'Ragman who has won numerous awards at the Butter knife and can opener show then you would buy one of these...

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Anyway. One of the guys on the Colorado trip brough a work sharp.
    It took nearly 20 minutes, but I finally got a good edge on the kabar with it.
    Probably would have taken several more hpurs by hand.
    Hard steel for sure. Work sharp handled kershaws and gerbers easily.

I'm gonna get me one.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Anyway. One of the guys on the Colorado trip brough a work sharp.
    It took nearly 20 minutes, but I finally got a good edge on the kabar with it.
    Probably would have taken several more hpurs by hand.
    Hard steel for sure. Work sharp handled kershaws and gerbers easily.

I'm gonna get me one.
    I will have one some day. Got to use one at a demo at a gun show. I was sold instantly.

Top Bottom