• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    If you were to read the paper MLK held in his original "I have a Dream" speech, you would not see anything that says "I have a dream."

That part was completely spontaneous.
    Guns International

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Fax machines are less commonly used since email came along but it wasn't that long ago that facsimile transmission was cutting edge technology, right?

Nope.

The first crude fax was invented in 1837. The first commercial facsimile transmission service (i.e., the technology had become good enough you could charge money for it) opened in 1865 with a dedicated line between Paris and Lyon, France.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    There's a pit bull, which was shot by the Belton police, underneath an Asian church located on HWY 195.

He's buried below the church's foundation. Dug with a backhoe and buried with the same.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    "The Beach Boys didn’t win a Grammy until their lifetime achievement award in (I believe) 2003. Does that surprise anyone?"
    "In 1965, the best-selling record was Satisfaction; the Beatles recorded Help!; Motown was tearing up the charts. Who won the Grammy for Best Vocal Group? The Anita Kerr Quartet, for their immortal album We Dig Mancini." R&R single of the year?- Roger Miller's King of the Road.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8th_Annual_Grammy_Awards

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I want to know how much of this phone info was known, and how much came from people looking for obscure phone info, lol....

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    My Dad was a telephone lineman when he came back from WW2. He told me the barbed wire telephone line story over 45 years ago.

And I have the 116 year old newspaper article to back it up:

33WPzQH.png

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    This paragraph annoys me. Party lines have been a thing since before 1897. For outgoing calls, you picked up the speaker, listened to see if the lines was not being used (no other people talking), gave the phone a good, long crank to contact the operator who made a connection for you.
    For incoming calls, if you were on a party line, each member of the party line had their own ring. Two short, one long; two long; one long, two short, and such. If any member of the party line got a call, all phones on that line rang, but with the assigned ring so the intended recipient of the call knew he oughta pick up the phone.
    You could also call other members of your party by cranking out their ring.
    And obviously any time a call was made on that party line, any other member could listen in.

Hey, sorry if my incomplete knowledge of telephone systems in the decades before I was born annoys you. So it was a party line, sure. But not like the party lines that were available through the '80s that I was familiar with, since there was no direct dial available. The point is, before I was born, my grandmother was a switchboard operator, and she was the last one in Texas to receive the call from Southwestern Bell asking if all her lines were clear. On giving the affirmative answer, she was thanked and her job ended.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Hey, sorry if my incomplete knowledge of telephone systems in the decades before I was born annoys you. So it was a party line, sure. But not like the party lines that were available through the '80s that I was familiar with, since there was no direct dial available. The point is, before I was born, my grandmother was a switchboard operator, and she was the last one in Texas to receive the call from Southwestern Bell asking if all her lines were clear. On giving the affirmative answer, she was thanked and her job ended.

You know what annoys me?

hnuwPW3.png

:P

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    They do Longmire days in the town they filmed Longmire in and Longmire shows up.

Negative Ghost Rider.

It's filmed around Las Vegas, NM. Longmire days are held in Buffalo, WY, which is where the Longmire books are based on, and where the author lives. Though it's called Absaroka County, which is also fictitious.

My niece was in the episode with the bachelorette party in Season 2 or 3.

I went to a Craig Johnson book signing and he said Walt and the other characters were based on his dad and uncle who were sheriffs around Buffalo.

Was hoping to make the trip. Could be the last one, but didn't make it. It was this last weekend.

Top Bottom