Texas CHL - Track the Status

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by Shorts, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Starker

Starker Active Member

navyguy said he thought it took 2-3 weeks for his status to change, and that was before the current era of longer wait times. He said he thought the status didn't change until they actually started working on it.

I feel your pain. I am several weeks behind you. :banghead:

Let me know when it changes.

2. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    It's been several years, but as I recall it takes a while to go from "packet mailed", to "processing". I don't think they have the tracking system very well tuned, and I'm pretty sure it's a manual entry by the people reviewing the applications. Mine took I think 2-3 weeks to move to "Processing" They must change status when it finally works it's way to someones desk to actually open it and start checking things. Back when I took mine it was 5 weeks, from the day of the course, to actually having the license in hand. My wife took the course the same day, and hers was two weeks later to arrive. (I guess hers got on some slow guy's desk) But that was back in the good ol days, when they turned them around pretty quickly. I don't know what the average wait is these days, but figure several months.

3. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

Thanks for the replies.....I will just be :banghead: until it changes.

4. wcollier

wcollier New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Buda, Texas
    Same here!

FYI - I'm at about 6 weeks... and I still have the "Packet Mailed to Applicant" status...

They're way behind.

:hammerhead:

5. brownjessea

brownjessea New Member

May 18, 2009
    They are waaaaaaaaaay behind indeed. I took the CHL course on February 21st, mailed the material on the 23rd and finally just today the texasonline website shows "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active". Close to 3 months altogether. The Obama election caused a lot of scare in the gun community. Many people figured that if they hurry up and get their CHL now, they won't have to deal with a more rigorous, less appealing CHL course that Obama may impose in the future. That is yet to be seen. The unfortunate side is that Austin is flooded with CHL requests and they are extremely undermanned. Hence, the wait!

6. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

Thanks, this is the confirmation I was looking for, I was unsure if mine should still say "Packet Mailed to Applicant" or if something was wrong.

7. Texas Solo

Texas Solo Active Member

May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    That's not fair! DPS received mine on 2/20/09 and it still says "processing".

8. hoggie96

hoggie96 New Member

Mar 27, 2009
    brownjessea,

What part of the state are you from? 60-90 days is pretty standard from what I've read. It's the Gulf Coast areas that are way behind due to the local background checks. Specifically, Harris and surrounding counties.

If you're from one of these area I'm calling DPS to find out what going on as I'm at almost 120 days (since mailing) now and my application is still "processing".

9. wcollier

wcollier New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Buda, Texas
    FYI - Just because I really wanted to confirm they received the packet at DPS, I did send them an email simply asking if they had it in their hands.

A few days later, I did get an email simply stating they really did have it, and it was in the "normal stage of processing".

That's really all I wanted to know. It would have killed me if I waited three months to simply find out they never got it :headscratch:

All is well.

10. hoggie96

hoggie96 New Member

Mar 27, 2009
    I received some interesting information yesterday.

I talked to a friend of mine that works for TDPS in Houston. He told me that the "local background check holdup" is the CHL Division's favorite excuse for delays in the wait times. He told me the truth is that they are SERIOUSLY understaffed and have a HUGE backlog since the elections. Apparently, they use this excuse to get people to hassle the local authorities and take the pressure off themselves.

Since I just hit 120 days I think I'll make some calls next week. Maybe if we get enough complaints to the right people they'll fix their staffing issue. I doubt it, but it's worth a shot.

Have a great weekend everybody.