• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    We moved our dogs to a raw diet several years back... no exaggeration it changed my oldest dog's life so positively! He reverted to a young man; energy x1000; smooth coat; got rid of his smoker's cough (really it was from too much fat around his trachea). Best decision we've ever made. Buy all our food from Texas Tripe!

ETA: spelling

My 11 lb pit bull wannabe is a bundle of allergies.

Turned 10 in August, she's done well so far on a commercial, frozen, raw beef diet (Nature's Variety Instinct), along with Angus beef finger steak strips I cook (sous vide, without seasoning) for her, then mix together with the gravy for an evening meal.

She also has a Stella & Chewy's freeze dried raw beef patty each morning, or not (free choice).
    Hurley's Gold

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    Care to say how much a 40# package (or whatever you have experience with) is delivered to your house?
    I don't want to create an account to see the cost.
    I purchase 80#, twice a year. Apologies but I go and pick up the order on the "route" driven by the company. They drive all over Texas and Oklahoma, and in some of the larger population areas they also run a weekend route. Below is a copy of my most recent invoice for 80#. Incurring this cost 2x/year averages about $38.37/month to feed my two small dogs.
    31a9ee980c60ea983cf9bf8d47858064.jpg

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I purchase 80#, twice a year. Apologies but I go and pick up the order on the "route" driven by the company. They drive all over Texas and Oklahoma, and in some of the larger population areas they also run a weekend route. Below is a copy of my most recent invoice for 80#. Incurring this cost 2x/year averages about $38.37/month to feed my two small dogs.
    Thanks for posting that. It's better than I would have guessed.

Our HEB is helpful enough to put the dry dog food prices in cost/ounce. We have to do grain-free for our lab mixes and it runs .22/oz most of the time. That's crazy! We can do a bit better, buying in bulk at our nearest feed store, but still pushing nearly what you paid for your protein.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    SURVIVOR619,

My local vet, when I lived in VA, told me to put my adopted/kid sister's ROTTIE & my "good 'ole girl" (my spayed/"antique" Rottie bitch) on pressure cooked chicken & plain steamed brown rice with vitamins/minerals added.

I've come to the conclusion that Dr. Dix knew "what he was about". - When I get another dog, I'll put her on chicken/brown rice/vitamin mix, too.

yours, satx

satx78247, you found yourself a vet who IMHO, is a bit of a rare gem. My experience with vets has been similar to human Dr.'s....in bed with the companies who grease their palms to pimp products to us. My dog's most recent vet (while I was living in Canada) literally admonished me for the state of my oldest dog who was just plain fat. The vet's Rx was some kind of Hills Science Diet weight maintenance dry food that cost 150% of any other dry food. We tried it of course b/c we love our dogs like our human kids (sometimes more haha).

Anyway, the "science" food did nothing but drain our wallet. The fact your vet at the time suggested the chicken/rice/vitamin mix is awesome! If a person can't or doesn't want to place their dogs on a raw diet, the mix suggested by your vet is definitely a step up from bagged, dry (DEAD) food.

I'd humbly suggest anyone consider doing the research about raw food, even compared to the cooked chicken/rice/vitamin mix. In the wild and before humans severely reduced the quality and lifespan of canine lives by introducing them to food that sits on shelves, they are animals and various fruits and greens they found in the wild. These foods were not cooked and included the organs, bones, etc.

The wild dog never ate cooked meat, never ate rice, wheat, or any other grains until humans fudged it all up for them. Their probiotics came from the tripe. Vitamins from the meat and bones.

I left out one other benefit of the raw diet. My dogs' poops.... they literally turn to dust. Their bodies are truly eliminating waste and not just passing a bunch of product that served little purpose other than to elicit a sense of being full and adding unneeded fat and artery clogging toxins.

Try watching a documentary called "Pet Fooled" for some interesting perspective

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    Another note, after very rapid improvement, a file up visit with the vet in Canada was met with his utter surprise.

Chico's teeth were spotless; his weight was perfect; he had no more 'reverse cough'. The vet knew from his records were stopped buying the science dry food.

While basking in our glory of his praise that we were now good parents, he asked what we were doing. The vet could not sponsor our choice for a raw diet, despite the very clear results.

Note about the teeth, chewing on the raw bones has been the best for our dogs' dental hygiene. We regularly replace one of their daily meals with a raw chicken wing, a raw pork rib, or a raw ox tail.

Never feed your dog a cooked bone that it can splinter. This could cause internal problems. Granted, growing up my great pyrenees or dobermans ate anything everything, including giant cooked bones and seemed to live a fine life. They did not live to be very old. My oldest dog on the raw diet is now 16 and he runs, plays, smiles like the youngest of pups.

ETA: Spelling... using my cellphone to write these long winded missives and a few errors are likely.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Chicken is often on sale for $1/lb at the grocery store.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    Indeed and it's a good source for raw treats. I pay the price to get a good mix of meat (80%), bones (10%), and organs (10%). I'm ok paying for something that hasn't been processed or in the case of most store-bought chicken, injected with saline. I also am ok paying for the probiotics gained from the tripe and lastly, the ability to get other meats like rabbit and bison.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    And supposedly uncooked chicken bones are OK for dogs. Its the cooked ones that shred their stomachs.

deemus,

THROUGHLY PRESSURE COOKER CHICKEN with bones is OK for dogs.

As I said earlier my local VET in VA said that our 2 old Rotties would do better on BROWN RICE & PRESSURE COOKED CHICKEN with MINERALS/VITAMINS.
    (BOTH lived, in decent health, FAR longer than MOST Rottweilers do.)

Fwiw, the chicken/brown rice/Health Pack#4 "diet" was less money than the premium dog food that Sara had been buying at PETSMART & not much trouble to cook for the 2 dogs.
    (Dog food cooking became MY job each evening. Further, I often cooked supper for Sara, "the little princess" & me at the same time.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

The Dan,

Much of the time our local HEB has 10# bags of dark meat of chicken for 4.95. = The REGULAR price seems to be 79 cents per pound.

Recently, I bought TWO 10# bags of chicken leg quarters for 25% off the 4.95 price.
    (One bag was almost immediately BBQed & the other went into the freezer.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    The thing to check on when buying chicken for pets is if its enhanced chicken products. Enhanced generally means injected with 3% salt water.

baboon,

HOW would a person KNOW if the chicken, that they are buying, has salt water added?
    (I've NOT seen any chicken that was so labeled.)

yours, satx

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom