• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Not everyone could get to God's country as fast as some. Spill your story.

I grew up in Austin, as a second generation Austinite. My dad was born in the house in Hyde Park that his dad built. It still stands. 408 W 40thth in Hyde Park. My paternal grandmother grew up in Dale. Maternal family migrated from Germany and Switzerland through Galveston. Grew up in Taylor, Rockdale, and Thrall. They, being country folk, got me into my love of firearms. Some of my best memories of childhood was going to my uncle's in Thrall and shooting my dad's pump action .22 Winchester.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Dad’s side of the family emigrated to Texas from various areas of Germany in the late 1840’s/early 1850’s.
    Almost all of them were farmers.
    The lands they farmed are now under I-35/1604
    on the NE side of S.A.
    They had all sold out and become city folk by the 1950’s.

Mother’s people came in the 1880’s.
    They were railroaders. Lived in various areas around the state. Mostly west of S.A.
    One branch emigrated here in 1842.
    A few came in at Galveston but most arrived at Indianola.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Dad’s side of the family emigrated to Texas from various areas of Germany in the late 1840’s/early 1850’s.
    Almost all of them were farmers.
    The lands they farmed are now under I-35/1604
    on the NE side of S.A.
    They had all sold out and become city folk by the 1950’s.

Mother’s people came in the 1880’s.
    They were railroaders. Lived in various areas around the state. Mostly west of S.A.
    One branch emigrated here in 1842.
    A few came in at Galveston but most arrived at Indianola.

We desend from the same people. Same here, German settlement of Texas. Same years reaching as far back as 1830. The Republic of Texas.

I bet your a$$ has me on ignore. I know why now. I'd do the same.

Hello Brother.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I moved to Texas in 2009. Left for a couple of years and then came back. I have no plans nor desire to leave the state again. Both of my kids can claim to be native born.

My dad's side of the family hails from New Mexico. My only other tie to Texas is that I had a several greats grandfather who was a Colonel in the US Army during the Civil War. He fought the Texans in West Texas. Sorry about that. I had nothing to do with it.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I moved to Texas in 2009. Left for a couple of years and then came back. I have no plans nor desire to leave the state again. Both of my kids can claim to be native born.

My dad's side of the family hails from New Mexico. My only other tie to Texas is that I had a several greats grandfather who was a Colonel in the US Army during the Civil War. He fought the Texans in West Texas. Sorry about that. I had nothing to do with it.

No need to say sorry.
    That war was crazy for families.
    Had two great great uncles(brothers)who joined opposite sides in the War of Northern Aggression.
    One enlisted in the 7th TX Mounted Rifles(Confederate).
    This guy made it out to New Mexico and took part in the battles of Val Verde and Glorieta Pass. Made it back after the terrible retreat. Later saw action in Louisana.
    The other joined the 1st TX Cavalry(Union). He spent most of the war up and down the TX coast harrassing the Rebs. Later he too saw action in Louisana.
    They literally could of been shooting at each other.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    Maternal great-grandparents ended up in the panhandle, Plainview. I heard stories of them traveling through Indian territory in Oklahoma. Paternal great-grandparents migrated to Ellis county from Missouri. Grandfather went to medical school, then returned to Italy TX and was the only doctor around there for decades. He only left for 2 days a year to deer hunt in Llano.

And thanks Robert for starting this thread, it's a good one and should be very interesting.

Last edited:

Jarine88

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    Tomball
    My mother’s family have been Texans since before 1850. My maternal 3rd great-grandparents are in the 1850 Census. Her father’s family settled in Caldwell by 1860. Her mother’s family settled in Beaumont.

My father’s family had settled in MS (some before and some right after the War Between the States).

But my mom’s family moved to Louisiana when she was in HS. My father ended up moving to LA in HS as well. With that said, I was born in Baton Rouge. My parents and siblings all live in the Cypress area now.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    This guy made it out to New Mexico and took part in the battles of Val Verde and Glorieta Pass.

I know he also spent time in New Mexico during the war. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he were in those battles. I know very little, only that there was a newspaper article from the time mentioning his involvement in the war in that area.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Paternal GF moved to Texas from Pennsylvania. My dad was born near Detroit, Texas. Road block in getting back further than GF. Very odd. Grandmother's side was mostly from the East and Missouri. Most of dad's family lived in OK, but born in Texas. But many ended up in Texas as adults.

Maternal side, one of my ancestors immigrated from Ireland with his seven sons. They all fought in the Revolutionary War. He was a commander at the Battle of Kings Mountain. Colonel James Reed. I think all 8 of them survived the war.

Both sides of that tree settled in Georgia and Tennessee. Great grandfather was first one born in Texas. So I'm a 4th generation Texan from that side.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    My dad's side of the family ran though the south since the early 1800's. Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Arkansas. Most of the nine kids of my dad's grandparents were born in Oklahoma, grandpa also had a first marriage in Arkansas. The family left Oklahoma for Idaho around '36.

Mom's family took the northern route through the snow belt.

All three of us kids were born in Idaho.

My wife and I first visited Texas in November of 2013. We were going to do it about a year earlier but had to delay it to deal with my prostate cancer. From the first day we visited Texas it felt like home to us. The purpose of our visit was to scope out the lay of the land.

We came down again the end of January 2014 to look at the house we currently live in. At the time I was undergoing 5X a week radiation treatments for the cancer so we could only manage a weekend.

We arrived in Texas March 30, 2014. It's home. I have no intention of leaving.

Long live Texas.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well... this thread has reminded me just how much I don't know about certain family history.

The only one I really know is my late GP (dads dad). Him and his brothers came across on a boat from Yugoslavia. His brothers got heavily involved in the mob. GP joined the military (jarhead drill sergeant) and served in the Korean War and settled in Cali. My dad always kept us isolated from the rest of the family from the East due to their ties to the mob.

Dad & Mom came from Cali. Had me in Denison,TX a few years after. Grayson county was my stomping grounds most of my childhood. Spent 5yrs in Bullhead City, AZ. Found a good woman and moved back home to marry her. In-laws gave us 10 acres for wedding gift. At the time my job was pushing me closer and closer to Dallas. I didn't wanna live that life. So, here we are in West Texas.

Top Bottom