Venture Surplus ad

Texas House passes bill that reduces penalties for Texans caught with small amounts of marijuana

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So, are we talking pot smokers that only smoke pot and don't do other drugs, or pot smokers which graduated to the hard stuff but still smoke pot too?

Consider this.....

In Texas if you want a little pot you, by definition, have to associate with law breakers and associate with people who just might be into other drugs.

I have a place in Colorado and if you want a little pot you go into a dispensary, not unlike entering a liquor store, and buy a little pot or other THC product. You pay. You leave. No lawbreakers or other drugs anywhere in sight.

I suspect "other drugs" become much less associated with pot when it's legal.

Pot makes me feel stupid whilst ethanol makes me brilliant.
    I prefer brilliant.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Consider this.....

I have a place in Colorado and if you want a little pot you go into a dispensary, not unlike entering a liquor store, and buy a little pot or other THC product. You pay. You leave. No lawbreakers or other drugs anywhere in sight.

By nowhere in sight, does that mean not holding a sign stating that they are a drug dealer?

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    By nowhere in sight, does that mean not holding a sign stating that they are a drug dealer?
    I think what he meant was that the person you're buying from in a dispensary is just some guy selling pot and making slightly above min wage. They're basically just a cashier.

The guy on the street is probably more likely to try to talk you into trying harder, more addictive drugs because he can make a lot of money by getting you hooked on those harder drugs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've seen countless numbers of stories about fast food dispensers getting busted selling drugs.

That fact alone kind of makes it a moot point. If you're going to sell illegal drugs, you're going to do it regardless of where you work. Who says that your doctor or pharmacist isn't doing the same thing on the side? How about the cashier at Walmart?

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    That fact alone kind of makes it a moot point. If you're going to sell illegal drugs, you're going to do it regardless of where you work. Who says that your doctor or pharmacist isn't doing the same thing on the side? How about the cashier at Walmart?

I agree.
    Why would you think a salesperson at a legal dispensary can't sell illegal drugs?
    That's my point.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I agree.
    Why would you think a salesperson at a legal dispensary can't sell illegal drugs?
    That's my point.

And the point of that point is?

If you're trying to say that the guy at the dispensary is just as likely to push hard drugs as the drug dealer out in the ghetto is, then I strongly disagree with that. A few isolated cases are bound to happen, but as HK said, you're more than likely going to see a reduction in the association between marijuana and hard drugs because the source that people are using to get Marijuana is going be less likely to have anything to do with those other kinds of drugs.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    And the point of that point is?

If you're trying to say that the guy at the dispensary is just as likely to push hard drugs as the drug dealer out in the ghetto is, then I strongly disagree with that. A few isolated cases are bound to happen, but as HK said, you're more than likely going to see a reduction in the association between marijuana and hard drugs because the source that people are using to get Marijuana is going be less likely to have anything to do with those other kinds of drugs.

Okay.
    All I know is that when I was young and dumb, everybody that I knew who smoked pot did other stuff as well.
    Don't know why things would be any different now.

ETA: Except the pot is better...

ETA2: This was in the 70s, a town of 30,000 people.

Last edited:

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Okay.
    All I know is that when I was young and dumb, everybody that I knew who smoked pot did other stuff as well.
    Don't know why things would be any different now.

ETA: Except the pot is better...

ETA2: This was in the 70s, a town of 30,000 people.

Is that because the other stuff was made available to them when they got their pot, or because of some other reason?

As posted earlier, 52% of adults in the US have at least tried marijuana at least once. What percentage of them have also tried harder drugs? Surely not all of them, or even half of them.

Also, you're talking about 50 years ago. Why couldn't things be different? What else has changed drastically in 50 years?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    What else has changed drastically in 50 years?

The general public has gotten fatter, lazier, and stupider.

As you mentioned earlier, you believe the ability to purchase, possess, and consume marijuana is a right.

Is that belief supported as a fundamental right or is it a protection?

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The general public has gotten fatter, lazier, and stupider.

As you mentioned earlier, you believe the ability to purchase, possess, and consume marijuana is a right.

Is that belief supported as a fundamental right or is it a protection?

Actually, the average IQ is increasing for the most part.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-03-06/humanity-keeps-getting-smarter

I believe it's a fundamental right that you should be able to do what you want within the confines of your own home without government interference unless your actives directly effects someone else in a meaningful and negative way. That is not restricted solely to marijuana usage.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    I wonder what percentage of pot smokers don't do other drugs too?

Hey, I have had several pot heads tell me MJ is NOT a gateway drug.

I heard Seth Rogan on Stern this week. He actually had some decent things to say about MJ like it is not for everyone and that most should just be taking a hit and not smoking the whole joint at one time.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Hey, I have had several pot heads tell me MJ is NOT a gateway drug.

I heard Seth Rogan on Stern this week. He actually had some decent things to say about MJ like it is not for everyone and that most should just be taking a hit and not smoking the whole joint at one time.

I believed that too when I first started.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Actually, the average IQ is increasing for the most part.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-03-06/humanity-keeps-getting-smarter

I believe it's a fundamental right that you should be able to do what you want within the confines of your own home without government interference unless your actives directly effects someone else in a meaningful and negative way. That is not restricted solely to marijuana usage.

IQ tests arent necessarily a sign of intelligence. They are a sign of test taking ability.

As for fundamental rights, Constitutional scholars disagree.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/fundamental_right

Generally speaking, I’m pretty libertarian; however the constitution assumes lawfulness. Liberty without lawfulness results in anarchy.

But, as has been mentioned several times, decriminalization ain’t happening in Texas this session.

But, there’s plenty of places in America you can go to exercise that privilege. Just don’t take a gun with you, because despite state laws, marijuana continues to be an unlawful substance. Users of unlawful substances are prohibited persons when it comes to firearms.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    IQ tests arent necessarily a sign of intelligence. They are a sign of test taking ability.

And your own opinion on the intelligence of younger generations is a more appropriate test of actual intelligence, right?

As for fundamental rights, Constitutional scholars disagree.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/fundamental_right

You seem to have this nasty habit of posting sources that do not prove your points despite your claims that they do. You might want to do something about that. Nothing in that link specifically says that you do not have a fundamental right to do what you will in your own homes as long as it does not effect others.

Generally speaking, I’m pretty libertarian; however the constitution assumes lawfulness. Liberty without lawfulness results in anarchy.

Lawfulness can change on the whim of the government. What is lawful today could be lawless tomorrow. The Constitution assumes lawfulness based on it's OWN laws. None of those laws address drug usage.

I don't intend to get pulled back into this debate like before because it's just not worth the time or the headache that comes with it. I doubt I could change your mind or anyone else's anyways. If I see something that peaks my interest, I might pop back in. For now, I'm going to go talk about guns.

See ya.

Last edited:

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I along with my group of 5 close friends smoked pot from about 13-20 and to my knowledge none of us did anything harder than pot and I am sure they would have talked about it if they tried it.

Now granted it was 30 years ago so pot was not near what it is now. Pot just made us laugh at stupid stupid stuff and we all survived and hold decent jobs none of us have spent time in jail.

I think peer pressure is more of a influence over what kind of drugs you try than if you smoke weed.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    zw150202
    Top Bottom