• cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    What did they say?
    I gave up.
    Basically the feds know argument on 2A grounds will lose so they are arguing a can isnt a firearm and therefore taxable and since you cannot receive injunctive relief for taxes the suit is moot.

I think we have a really good chance of it succeeding and a chance the court will find any taxation is infringement and open the door to the NFA/GCA going away

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Basically the feds know argument on 2A grounds will lose so they are arguing a can isnt a firearm and therefore taxable and since you cannot receive injunctive relief for taxes the suit is moot.

I think we have a really good chance of it succeeding and a chance the court will find any taxation is infringement and open the door to the NFA/GCA going away

In particular I like where they argued the suppressor isn't a firearm and can be taxed, but the document they use to justify taxing it declares it IS a firearm...

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    In particular I like where they argued the suppressor isn't a firearm and can be taxed, but the document they use to justify taxing it declares it IS a firearm...

Yep the gov isn’t going to give up that easily. What I see happening is that they may change the definition of it to no longer being a firearm, therefore no more 4473; which best case makes it so they can be purchased over the counter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Yep the gov isn’t going to give up that easily. What I see happening is that they may change the definition of it to no longer being a firearm, therefore no more 4473; which best case makes it so they can be purchased over the counter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The 4473 and tax stamp should be removed. If it isn't a firearm there should be no form or approval required to purchase or sell.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    The 4473 and tax stamp should be removed. If it isn't a firearm there should be no form or approval required to purchase or sell.
    Except, not protected by 2A, they could be regulated/banned like lawn darts or 3-wheelers...

Probably wouldn't even require an act of congress, being administratively decided under chevron deference since it wouldnt involve a right.

Edit: I guess no law against owning lawn darts or 3-wheelers, just a ban on manufacture, but if not arms, it would still be easier for Fed to find a way to ban/regulate them.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I'll be looking forward to hear the SCOTUS ruling on this. It should be a slam dunk with Bruin decision, not to mention you can't tax a right.

Imagine if you had to pay a tax to cuss :beat:

Nowhere in the Constitution does it say you cannot tax a right.

Media, gun companies and many others exercising 1st and 2nd amendment rights pay taxes. Consumers pay sales taxes to buy a gun, etc.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Nowhere in the Constitution does it say you cannot tax a right.

Media, gun companies and many others exercising 1st and 2nd amendment rights pay taxes. Consumers pay sales taxes to buy a gun, etc.
    Would taxing voting be considered an infringement of that unenumerated right?

If I must pay for permission it isnt a right.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

Paying for a right in any way makes it a privilege. and no longer a right.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Voting per se is not a Federal right.

In fact, for decades state legislatures determined who would serve in Congress, not the voters.

If a state does allow voting, then 26 amendment guarantees 18 year old the right to vote. And the 15th says you cannot deny it based on race etc., 19th on sex.

Today, only voting for Senators is a Federal right via the 17th.

eta

added some more context

Last edited:

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Voting per se is not a Federal right.

In fact, for decades state legislatures determined who would serve in Congress, not the voters.

If a state does allow voting, then 26 amendment guarantees 18 year old the right to vote. And the 15th says you cannot deny it based on race etc., 19th on sex.

Today, only voting for Senators is a Federal right via the 17th.

eta

added some more context
    Oh I hear ya.

I think the Senate should be elected by the legislature of the States they represent.

I am just saying a tax is by its nature and infringement (and not wrongly at times) and therefore a tax on a right is wrong.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Oh I hear ya.

I think the Senate should be elected by the legislature of the States they represent.

I am just saying a tax is by its nature and infringement (and not wrongly at times) and therefore a tax on a right is wrong.

IIRC, polling taxes were ruled to be unconstitutional in regards to voting.

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    A bit of an encouraging update. I find him difficult to listen to because of his repetitive cadence when he speaks but encouraging information never the less.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    A bit of an encouraging update. I find him difficult to listen to because of his repetitive cadence when he speaks but encouraging information never the less.

The expansion of powers under the Commerce Clause is so deeply rooted in the way this country works that rooting it out, if it happens, isn't something I'll live to see. He's being too positive when, at the end, he uses a basic throwaway line about how some justices want to see the Commerce Clause scaled back in effect.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    OK, so what happens now if Paxton is removed from office?
    Will his replacement drop the the whole thing against the F-ing atf?
    Is the case against Paxton a ploy to get him out of office just because of this whole suppressor deal?

Top Bottom