• SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Can the shockwave be considered a handgun under Texas Law?

46.01(5) “Handgun” means any firearm that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one hand.

"Or adapted" you can make an argument that the pistol grip is designed to be held and fired with one hand

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Heard today Remington is coming out with a model to compete with the Mossberg Shockwave.....

Anyone else hear this rumor?

kotetu

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2013
    Houston
    kotetu,

I trust NOTHING that the BATFE says/claims, as they are as changeable as the Summer breeze.
    (I once bought a 9mm Lugar caliber carbine that BATFE decided was a MG. - Luckily I had NOT paid for or "taken possession" of it when the policy changed. = Had I bought it a week later, it would have required a tax stamp.)

yours, satx
    Your experience is a perfect illustration of the dangers of pushing the edge with them. For example, they had decided that shouldering the ar pistols with arm braces redefined pistols as sbrs; they just reversed that decision, but how long till they reverse it again?

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I would almost bet they were threatened with litigation from an arm brace company and reversed the statement over losing in a court battle.

Your experience is a perfect illustration of the dangers of pushing the edge with them. For example, they had decided that shouldering the ar pistols with arm braces redefined pistols as sbrs; they just reversed that decision, but how long till they reverse it again?

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Shady,

Likely CORRECT.
    It could also be that the "cowboys" at BATFE are so "empty between the ears" and/or lack self-awareness that they cannot make up their feeble minds??

ImVho, President trump should ABOLISH the BATFE & replace the few functions that are NECESSARY & replace the rest of their "functions" with NOTHING.
    (The USA needs over 80 federal police agencies like we all need rectal cancer.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    I would almost bet they were threatened with litigation from an arm brace company and reversed the statement over losing in a court battle.
    This is what I referenced earlier with my Dentists comment.
    If something that is technically illegal becomes so commonplace that everyone's used to it, that's a good thing.

The people who rush into these threads shrieking "DON'T DO THAT IT'S ILLEGAL. I WOULDNT BET ON IT. YOULL SPEND LOTS OF MONEY ON A TRIAL!" are problematic.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    From the TSRA email sent to me today.

Last night, Friday, May 19th, at 8:55 p.m. the Texas House Passed HB 1819, authored by Rep. Drew Springer (R-Muenster) with senate sponsor, Sen. Charles Perry (R-Lubbock) plus an amendment by Sen. Craig Estes (R-Wichita Falls).

It was brought to our attention by TSRA members that the Mossberg 590 Shockwave cannot be purchased in two states: Texas and Ohio.

With the problem in mind, Senator Craig Estes (R-Wichita Falls) offered a senate amendment to the House bill which corrects existing state law. The addition of the senate amendment caused HB1819 to be returned to the House for concurrence and at 8:55 last night HB1819 with the amendment was accepted! The amendment will allow Texans to purchase this defensive shotgun.

bob

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I apologize, Hoji.
    I didn't think you would be so hurt by my post that you'd feel the need to fabricate a fictional caricature that you don't feel inferior to.
    If anything about my posts makes you feel inferior, please let me know via PM and I'll do my best to adjust to be more sensitive.
    I'm not sure why you feel superior to people who wear flat brim hats and those style of sunglasses. Maybe a bully in your past?

Either way, I'm sorry I triggered whatever caused you to create that character.

On topic:

I think it's *good* to push the envelope with loophole items like these.

Look at the profession of dentistry.
    They're famous for doing legally questionable things, and after long enough it just becomes common practice & legalized.

For example: there are dentists who run "sleep apnea clinics". Outside of creating a dental apparatus to help air flow and referring a patient to an M.D., a dentist has no business treating sleep apnea.
    However, there are plenty of dentists overstepping their bounds and prescribing meds for sleep apnea.

Why?
    Because they can get away with it.

Good on sig, mossberg, and other companies thumbing their noses at the ATF.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

so... what meds are dentist prescribing for OSA?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The gun is made in Texas, so apparently Mossberg thinks it is illegal. What a shitstorm that would result if it is ruled illegal in Texas.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    The gun is made in Texas, so apparently Mossberg thinks it is illegal. What a shitstorm that would result if it is ruled illegal in Texas.

It was brought to our attention by TSRA members that the Mossberg 590 Shockwave cannot be purchased in two states: Texas and Ohio.

With the problem in mind, Senator Craig Estes (R-Wichita Falls) offered a senate amendment to the House bill which corrects existing state law. The addition of the senate amendment caused HB1819 to be returned to the House for concurrence and at 8:55 last night HB1819 with the amendment was accepted! The amendment will allow Texans to purchase this defensive shotgun.

I posted this info (see above post #112)
    bob

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    There are plenty examples of manufacturers who produce firearms that happen to be "illegal" for sale in their own state--take LWRC as an example. Most all of their AR rifles can't be sold in Maryland, the state in which they are produced. Aside from that, Mossberg (and whoever brought the Legislature's attention to the possible hole in the TX penal code) is just merely covering their bases in seeking to have had Texas law made clearer in regard to firearms such as the Shockwave, in order that the ordinary citizen of this state can benefit from the clarity and harmony with the federal law/definitions.

Mossberg may very well NOT have considered the Shockwave to be illegal in Texas . . . but saw that there needed to be more clarity. No shitstorm that I can see.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    There are plenty examples of manufacturers who produce firearms that happen to be "illegal" for sale in their own state--take LWRC as an example. Most all of their AR rifles can't be sold in Maryland, the state in which they are produced.

Don't care about other states. Only Texas. And Texas does not have exemption for FFL MFG.

No shitstorm that I can see.

Well a request for ruling was submitted to If AG Paxton last month. If he rules it is illegal, there will be a shitstorm. Or if a court rules it illegal before HB1819 passes, there will be a shitstorm.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Well a request for ruling was submitted to If AG Paxton last month. If he rules it is illegal, there will be a shitstorm. Or if a court rules it illegal before HB1819 passes, there will be a shitstorm.
    I don't think so--especially now that the Texas Legislature has acted in this regard and the Governor is going to sign. I think Paxton will see that the issue (if ever there was one) is now mooted. No one can know what a Court would do, cuz they're like that.

That was my point. IF Mossberg is making it in Texas, they have already decided it is legal.
    The only reason there is any difficulty purchasing a Shockwave in Texas is that there are individual FFL dealers who refuse to proceed due to the fact that THEY believe that the Shockwave is not legal in Texas. There are MANY FFLs who will proceed. As for me, I've never viewed it as illegal--regardless of what Texas Law Shield may profess. :meh:

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I don't think so--especially now that the Texas Legislature has acted in this regard and the Governor is going to sign. I think Paxton will see that the issue (if ever there was one) is now mooted. No one can know what a Court would do, cuz they're like that.

I do not think so either hence why I said "if".

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom