• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Older, worn A5's can be extremely dangerous. They can fire while on safety without touching the trigger. After an accident, almost a disaster, about 45 years ago; we looked into this and found it to be not uncommon. I got rid of all mine.
    Target Sports

Darryle

Crazy old Coot
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Re: The best shotgun on a budget (>$400)

Older, worn A5's can be extremely dangerous. They can fire while on safety without touching the trigger. After an accident, almost a disaster, about 45 years ago; we looked into this and found it to be not uncommon. I got rid of all mine.

Horse shit, I have a few and the only danger is the idiot with his finger on the bang switch and not the safety. I have seen plenty of negligent discharges in those guns with the safety located inside the trigger guard, but to say they just go ahead off at will is utter bullshit. The way the trigger is designed prevents it. I guess next you'll be railing on 1911s.

duns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    I bought a Mossberg 590A1 and wished I had bought a Rem. 870. Why? I fitted a collapsible stock and pistol grip and found I have to take these off to remove the trigger group - with the 870 you don't have to do that. Also, the Mossberg safety proved unreliable, working loose and losing the detente ball bearing on the first day of shooting. Fnally, I think rapid shooting with the Mossberg is less intuitive - you have to pull on the pistol grip and push on the foreend before pulling the foreend back to chamber the next round otherwise the action binds.

Last edited:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Remington 870. If you want to build it out, get a NEF Pardner Pump. It's made in China, but it's an 870 clone to the point it'll take 870 parts. The only part that I've found that won't interchange is the barrel.

IMO the 870 (including the NEF) is quite a bit better shotgun than the Mossbergs.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX

Remington 870. If you want to build it out, get a NEF Pardner Pump. It's made in China, but it's an 870 clone to the point it'll take 870 parts. The only part that I've found that won't interchange is the barrel.

IMO the 870 (including the NEF) is quite a bit better shotgun than the Mossbergs.

a lot of the chinese shotgun clones are quality. im surprised more people havent talked about them. on another forum i used to be on calguns, it was well touted.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    a lot of the chinese shotgun clones are quality. im surprised more people havent talked about them. on another forum i used to be on calguns, it was well touted.

The Chinese build quality guns in general. Their 1911 copies were high quality, and so were the Polytech M14s. Their SKS and AK rifles are pretty nice, too!

IIRC, the NEF shotgun is made by Hawk, which supplies the same shotgun to some arms of the Chinese government.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX

Why buy a clone when a brand new 870 is 300 bucks?

i hear this arguement a lot when it comes to chicom.clones. the chicom clones usually come with a lot of features for the money. besides, who says you cant buy a real one as well? i buy quality, doesnt matter who makes em but if someone can make the same shit for cheaper why not?

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    The best shotgun on a budget (>$400)

i hear this arguement a lot when it comes to chicom.clones. the chicom clones usually come with a lot of features for the money. besides, who says you cant buy a real one as well? i buy quality, doesnt matter who makes em but if someone can make the same shit for cheaper why not?

Well if you buy quality, and the clone is quality, then that's a perfectly good reason.

Quite frankly I'd be scared of the metal.

I've worked with people who buy ALOT of steel. And they're cheapskates, they don't care where it comes from as long as they can get it, and it's cheap. And they won't touch chicom steel...

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX

Well if you buy quality, and the clone is quality, then that's a perfectly good reason.

Quite frankly I'd be scared of the metal.

I've worked with people who buy ALOT of steel. And they're cheapskates, they don't care where it comes from as long as they can get it, and it's cheap. And they won't touch chicom steel...

chicom structural steel is different. ive built federal buildings using chicom steel on a contract that was supposed to be buy american act, they had bolt heads still unmelted in it also the tensile and shear strength was very weak. however, firearms built chicom have been quality.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    The best shotgun on a budget (>$400)

chicom structural steel is different. ive built federal buildings using chicom steel on a contract that was supposed to be buy american act, they had bolt heads still unmelted in it also the tensile and shear strength was very weak. however, firearms built chicom have been quality.

Never seen a bolt head in their steel. Lol.

But not surprised...

Last edited:

erratadata

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    NW SAN Antonio
    Mossberg 500. I just bought one at Walmart for $209. You can always find other barrels and pistol grips etc., online or at the shows. I had to shoot the Rem 870 in the Navy and never liked the feel of it as much as the Mossberg. My other favorite was the Ithaca 12, but they are hard to find and nowhere near as versatile.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX

Mossberg 500. I just bought one at Walmart for $209. You can always find other barrels and pistol grips etc., online or at the shows. I had to shoot the Rem 870 in the Navy and never liked the feel of it as much as the Mossberg. My other favorite was the Ithaca 12, but they are hard to find and nowhere near as versatile.

i use the mossberg 500 in the army. its alright lol.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My favorites are the 1100 and 870 Remington shotguns. Those are followed by the Mossberg 88 Maverick and the Mossberg 500. I switch stocks and barrels and keep a supply of barrels on hand. Of the Mossbergs, I like the trigger guard mounted safety on the 88 better. Barrels interchange between them and the barrels are inexpensive. I've had both of them apart and see no difference. I'm also at a loss to understand why there's a $100 difference in price between them.

Given only ONE firearm, mine would be a 12 gauge shotgun with a nice selection of barrels and wide range of shotgun shells from slugs to #8 field loads.

Flash

Top Bottom