The FFL Process

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by texas_teacher, Sep 13, 2009.

1. texas_teacher

texas_teacher Well-Known

Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    My girlfriend and I are interested in going through the process of acquiring our FFL license and would like any advice from anybody else that has underwent acquiring their license...

When I googled it I found this site http://www.fflkit.com/ has anyone used them?

What's the general wait time?

Thanks for any help...

2. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Self Appointed Board Chauvinist TGT Supporter

May 12, 2009
    good question ill be wathcingt his thread as an ffl is in my once distant and now not as distant plans.

3. hkusp1

hkusp1 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    im getting ready to buy my first house and i will be doing the same, i to will be watching this thread.:icon_popcorn:

4. Gpz1100

Gpz1100 Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Warren, TX
    easiest thing to do is go to http://www.atf.gov/index.htm look around and you'll find a request for forms, (it's free) order the application from them. they will explain how to fill it out but it doesn't hurt to ask questions. i'm pretty sure they'll send you everything you need. from the day they cashed my check to the interview i believe it was about 2-3 months. it's not hard. just a little nerve racking if your like me and just a little impatient. remember...ask questions. don't guess.

ps...it's form #5310.12

+ beware of unauthorized versions of ATF forms

5. pheet17

pheet17 Active Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Baytown, Texas
    What kind of questions do they ask in the interview???

6. texas_teacher

texas_teacher Well-Known

Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Thanks everyone for the updates so far... The information is very useful...

7. baboon

baboon Well-Known

I got mine when I turned 21. Kept it until Klintoon made it a bit harder to have. Did not want a democrat A.G. vist me like they did Randy Weaver & David Koresh.

8. Gpz1100

Gpz1100 Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Warren, TX
    the agent i had asked basic questions...what my "plan" is, will i be selling at gunshows or on the internet...mostly he and i just discussed the laws, he wanted to make sure i understood them and where to find answers if'n something came up. nothing i would consider "private" or political

9. pheet17

pheet17 Active Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Baytown, Texas
    So, it was kind of an informative conversation with questions, and not an interrogation? That's good to know.

10. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I have an FFL app sitting on the shelf, unopened. It took them a good while to get it to me, so long I began to question whether I even requested it or not! lol

I haven't been further through the process so I can't offer much info except what I've done. Go to the ATF site and request the packet from them. Its free and relatively easy.