• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is a "gun cabinet" sufficient for gun storage?

• No. You need a safe. Period.

Votes: 10 20.4%
    • Yes and no. Cabinets are a stop-gap to be used only until you can afford a real safe.

Votes: 14 28.6%
    • Yes. Quality "gun cabinets", properly installed, with other security layers are enough protection.

Votes: 4 8.2%
    • It depends on the circumstances.

Votes: 24 49.0%
    • I'll post in the thread to tell you what other choice you should have included in the poll.

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Executive Summary:

Some gun cabinet makers say that gun safes (until you're spending idiotic money) are basically a scam.

Is there any validity to the "gun safes aren't worth it; just get decent cabinets and bolt 'em down" argument?

Long version:

When looking at gun safes I've always had a difficult-to-define unease, as in: "I can't help feeling like this is a ripoff but I don't exactly know why." Everyone knows that safe companies lie their asses off about how many long guns will fit in a safe. Where else are they less than forthcoming?

I found a series of videos in support of the idea that you might as well just buy a decent storage cabinet because "gun safes" aren't worth the investment until you're spending insane amounts of money.

For folks who don't want to sit through long videos (example below), here are their high points -
    • The overwhelming majority of gun safes aren't safes. They are "residential security containers" (RSC) with a completely different sort of UL rating than is provided for safes. As merely an RSC, they don't actually provide much protection against a decent cutter, assuming the thief can bypass the door and get to the side of the safe to attack it.
    • Fire protection is a lie. UL won't give a fire rating to an RSC. Safe fire ratings are based on standards the industry sets for itself. The "independently tested and certified" stickers on safes just mean they passed tests designed by the manufacturer and administered by a separate legal entity set up and controlled by the manufacturers. IOW, the "certifications" are meaningless.
    • Corrosion inside safes is a serious problem. The only reason that safe companies sell so many anti-corrosion products is because the materials used to create (false) fire resistance tend to outgass chemicals that corrode metal. A plain wood or metal box would actually perform better.
    • Capacity claims are always insanely exaggerated.
    Given these points, they feel that until you're spending $7K+ on a safe, you're just wasting money on something that isn't actually a safe, doesn't provide reliable fire protection, and promotes rust.

They feel that you should just buy small, affordable, sturdy security cabinets. When you fill one, buy another. You can scatter them around the house (forcing thieves to waste time looking for them all) or just bolt them all together, side-by-side and stacked, until you build a whole wall of them, if need be.

Of course, "small, affordable, sturdy security cabinets" are exactly the product they purport to sell. (Yes, the videos are self-serving. You expected anything else?) I have no affiliation, haven't bought from them, and am not trying to talk them up or down. However, I did find that their videos caused me to think.

The presenter isn't very good but this video (one of many the company has produced) hits the high points if you're willing to sit through 20+ minutes of sales pitch. I think it's worth the time but YMMV, of course.

What does the TGT population think?

Is there any validity to the "gun safes aren't worth it; just get decent cabinets and bolt 'em down" argument?

Personally, I just want the biggest safe Graffunder makes. :)

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Mine is intended more for protecting important documents from a fire and keeping things out of the hands of my kids than it is protecting my firearms from theft. The long and short of it, for me, is there just isn't enough money in guns in my house for me to justify spending 5-10x their value on a safe to protect them. The take-away here? I own cheap guns lol.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    I'd say fire protection is #1, slowing thieves is #2, and keeping away from kids is above all if applicable.

they always say, if the thieves want it, they'll get it.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I think Coupled with an insurance policy and a decent alarm system with instant notification works well with the $500 to $1000 range "safes".
    For me the motion detectors go off well before anyone is even at the safe, at which time for me at least, I am probably around the corner when they start cutting into it. Of course that may not be the case for everyone in which case a traditional safe is probably the best bet.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I bought a really nice fire lined steel box to put my guns in. I don't think I spent that much and it holds plenty of guns for the price and level of attractiveness. Someone is always going to talk down what you have, try to make you second guess yourself and be a jerk in the hopes they can sell you their product.

Life is too short. Practice and train more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    All depends on what your major concern is. If it's to keep children from your guns a locking cabinet will probably suffice. If it's to discourage your average thief, most thefts are the get in and grab what you can and get out type, then a strong metal locking cabinet or cheaper safe would probably suffice. If you have a very nice house, usually the type of house which many criminals will stake out, and you and/or family are gone a lot, then a much more expensive safe may be what you need. Of course with most of them if they are bolted down, the better. Basically the more time and resources a thief has, the more protection you need.

Personally I would worry more about having good insurance than the best safe out there.

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    I'm ok with solid cabinets (not wooden ones with windows the metal/steel ones) my main concern is keeping kiddos away from them, secondary concern is slowing down any thieves a little bit. I know anyone that's determined will get in there anyway.

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    There are deals from time to time for safes that offer reasonable fire protection and safety. Check out Harbor Freight and Tractor Supply, both offer a lot better prices than you find an gun shows/gun shops.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Academy also has huge sales a couple times a year. My safe was originally $1,600, and I got it for $585 a few years ago. Of course it's packed plumb full and I need a bigger one now.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I want to build me own walk-in vault with everything out and easily accessible.

Which has nothing to do with the OP.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I've always noticed the same shortfalls with the big expensive "safes"....yet I still want one. The door is way harder for that prybar that can get into your house and then into your locker. Whenever I finally get a big safe, I would like to cinder block the sides and rear once it's in place. I may put up additional 1/4" steel either on the outside or inside of the cinder block wall. This will provide more protection vs fire and thieves.

For now, I have other things I need to spend money on, so I've got a good insurance policy with a gun cabinet, and am planning on calling for some home security quotes.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Also, something nobody has brought up yet. Buy a bigger safe than you think you will ever need. When I first bought mine, all my long guns fit into just half of it, with room to spare. I had shelves on the other half for all my ammo and gun related stuff. Now my safe is nothing but guns and plumb full. I wish I had bought a bigger one.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I want to build me own walk-in vault with everything out and easily accessible.

Which has nothing to do with the OP.
    I've been wanting to do that with a small room/large closet! Yea, gonna use cinder block for that too. Maybe a cage door behind the standard door so from the outside, it looks like a normal room.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    A safe is only one part of a security plan.......

30 seconds and a good pry bar can defeat a lot of gun cabinets....but if that is all you can afford for the time being, they are better than just sticking your firearms in the closet....while RSC's are not technically a "safe", they are a better option, imho.......

Real safes are serious $$$$, but if you can afford one...the best solution.....

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I'm not going to get in a debate about the fire issue, because many that claim to be fire proof have been found not to be, maybe fire resistant.

On the other hand, if theft is the issue you may, for the price, have a cabinet made. I would probably build my own out of 3/16 steel welded to my own specifications with a lock box welded to it.
    Most safes are made with light gauge steel often riveted.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Gun cabinets are fine for keeping honest people honest, and keeping kids away from your guns. They're great for ammo storage too. I would not trust them to protect against a criminal of any level though unless they were doing a very quick smash and grab. You can forget about fire protection too. A good safe will protect against most criminals (unless they come prepared to break into a safe) as long as it's bolted down, and it will offer protection against fire.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom