• Status
    Not open for further replies.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The NRA tends to focus on 2A, not legally organized bird hunts.

That's probably why you did not get the response you hoped for.

I also deplore wanton killing (other than the two-legged kind who would deprive us of our liberties), but will not terminate my NRA membership because they will not condemn the killing of pigeons.

Also consider that pigeons are not native to North America. Some believe they were brought to Europe from the Mid-East by returning Crusaders. Colonists then brought them to our shores where, by and large, they have today become an invasive and nuisance species.

According to: Pigeons | AgNIC Wildlife Damage Management | Libraries | Colorado State University (USDA National Wildlife Research Center)

Robbins (1995) stated that the single, most serious pest bird in the United States is the common pigeon, an invasive species. Pigeons have been reported as being responsible for damages in every state and territory except the Virgin Islands. Pigeons cause damage to property and agriculture, and are a threat to human health and safety. Pigeons are a reservoir and vector for more than 50 human and livestock diseases ...

Perhaps Pennsylvania figured out an effective method for vector control.

Be well.
    Lynx Defense

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Good post, but these bird-shoots sure as Hell aren't going to solve the problem, or probably even do anything to slow it. I do sympathize with the problems caused by invasive species, but this is still just plain cruel. I don't know what the solution is but this sure isn't it.

By the way, I'm no ornithologist, but if what I've read is true, pigeons really don't carry any more disease than the average bird.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Shoot those dirty birds for fun or whatever other reason you like. I have shot prairie dogs for fun as have tens of thousands of others, I have shot hogs for fun, and while I have ate or gave away the meat, I shot deer for the fun of it. I have shot snakes, killed roaches and mice, trapped and killed moles and gophers....damn now that I think about it I am a one man wrecking machine!
    to call the killing of these birds cruel is not remotely accurate.

I see nothing wrong with shooting them.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Shoot those dirty birds for fun or whatever other reason you like. I have shot prairie dogs for fun as have tens of thousands of others, I have shot hogs for fun, and while I have ate or gave away the meat, I shot deer for the fun of it. I have shot snakes, killed roaches and mice, trapped and killed moles and gophers....damn now that I think about it I am a one man wrecking machine!

+1

I forgot to mention the lowly prairie dog in my previous list. They're fun to shoot with an ought six.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio

I completely agree. At the same time I don't for one second believe in letting an animal suffer for amusement. If you shoot hogs, deer, prarie dogs, rabbit, ducks, pigeons, bear, sheep, snakes etc for sport, food or defense it is your responsibility to make sure that creature is dead. If that means you have to run 100 yds to do that than so be it. If you can't handle a 100 yd chase of a wounded animal then you shouldn't be hunting. If the meat on the animal is worth a crap weather it be nuisance, game or predator than it should be taken for eating.

It's really easy to be judgmental of the guy that draws in the video. Think of this. What would you do if a group of strangers surrounded you with a video camera in a parking lot. Could be a beat down on tape for all you know. If anybody random approaches me chest forward, especially more than one person in a parking lot, believe you me I'm going for the sidearm. Think and say what you will. Many people have been robbed,rapped or murdered because they didn't stay vigilant when being approached by their attacker/s.

My problem with the NRA is their becoming more and more pushy in the last few years. I grow very tired of the Obama bashing letters and the hysterical crap they throw at us for the donations. I'm not the biggest obama fan or anything but I cant stand the repeated bombarding of the guy, quit the beating of the dead horse. We all know he sucks, get over it. Vote in 2012, problem solved. Another thing quit trying to force me into donating money for something or another. The membership and stuff they sell off the online store should be enough. Their store is awesome, btw. If they want my full support they need to quit screaming bloody murder like the anti's and take a step away from the hysterics and a step into the court room. Not that they dont but I think the NRA-ILA is much more valuable than the once a week anti obama letters and panhandling.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It looked like the so called "live pigeon" in the pile had no head and it seemed like the downed birds were quickly retrieved. I have hunted for food and did alot of varmint hunting when i was younger, i would like to say I have matured and grown out of it but really just have more responsibility and less time. Don't agree with caging animals for to shoot, doesn't seem sporting to me, but it doesn't seem all that horrible, after all, i have been crow hunting a couple of times and shot coons i had no intention of eating.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Richardson
    heres how i see the NRA, they got my support and donation. But some stuff they support or dont support makes me re-think why the NRA. But then again they sure do more of the pro 2nd amendment of any other interest group I've seen in my 20yrs being alive. They in my eyes do more good than bad.

My dos Centavos.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    If they used rats, would you be as upset?

Well, try to think of them as winged-rats ('cause that's pretty much what they are).

I've never seen this before, so I have to assume that this is a pretty limited activity. I don't think I'd enjoy it, but I'm also not going to lose sleep over it. Besides, them Yankees ain't right in the head.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    If they used rats, would you be as upset?

There's a whole lot of truth to that statement. This is the same thought process behind Congress banning the sale of horse meat for consumption across America because it's a cute, adorable animal, and yet they're more than happy to slaughter every ugly cow and pig in the country. It makes you wonder sometimes.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Pigeons are rats with wings. They're electrocuted, poisoned and otherwise unceremoniously terminated in order to control their population. What's wrong with getting a little sport out of it? In Texas, we recently legalized hog hunting from helicopters. Same principle. Hogs are vermin. Very few killed are eaten, and none are killed for survival purposes.

I'm not wild about the NRA, but I fail to see why we'd get all upset over this issue when there are so many other real gun-rights issues on which we should be concentrating. Pigeons aside, the NRA is the single strongest voice in guaranteeing our continued gun rights. They aren't perfect.

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Do you eat fast food? Do you at places that don't sell Organic/Cage-free/Pasture roaming animals? If so, then don't talk to me about animal cruelty.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    We're screwed without the NRA. And yes, they're relentless emails and junk mail are annoying, but I view it as weighing pros and cons.
    As far as the animals go, if they are considered by mass population as nuisance animals, I've got no problem with killing them for sport. Just try to avoid their suffering.
    Espy59lc - I'm not a bleeding heart type, but that video makes think I need to eat at Chipotles a little more often when I'm out. Pretty disturbing. Not that I'd support laws to stop it, but my personal spending should support businesses that shy away from that.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well now....let's see....I don't like killing deer because some are wounded and allowed to suffer agonizing deaths - what group should I stop being a member of?

The NRA is the single strongest voice that we have in ensuring our continued gun rights. Are they perfect? Last time I looked I sure as hell ain't - so why should I expect it of them? Who WILL you become a member of that will have as large an impact as the NRA legislatively? Huh? Excuse me? Who?

I'm now a Benefactor member - 2 of my 3 kids are Life Members, and the 3rd will be one next year. We give one their membership each year, because as I reached the "max" on my upgrades, I still wanted to help strengthen the organization - even though over the years they've done things I didn't care for. I don't regret it for a second, and would do it all again given the chance. The kids know that I expect them to pay for their kids membership when they can, because it IS about numbers in Washington.

As to all the mail solicitation...oh, man - TELL me about it! I can be an "Ambasador" to all KINDS of NRA-related things. But, that's cool - I understand that it takes $$$ to keep the organization afloat. So I'll send a li'l something in here and there....unless it's for the Friends of NRA events. THEN we're talking $$$!<G> This past year was a good one for my side business, and since I find it incredibly interesting to give my money to a group I DO like rather than the government, let's just say that we dropped in the low 5-figures at the two events we attended. Yeah....I DO believe in the NRA - with all its' warts.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom