• Status
    Not open for further replies.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    If they used rats, would you be as upset?

Well, try to think of them as winged-rats ('cause that's pretty much what they are).

Yes I would. There is a difference between killing rats in your house (survival) and taking them to the range and pointlessly making them suffer. Also, pigeons aren't nearly as likely to infest your house, so we're kinda talking apples and oranges here. If you are refferring to the diseases they both supposedly carry, like I said, from my research pigeons are approximately as filthy as any other wild bird (carrion-eating animals excluded).

I may remain in the minority but the NRA will never see another dime from me. And call me crazy, but if I ever personally witnessed someone kill an animal solely for fun and no other productive purpose, things would get ugly quick. I know many of you will refuse to believe this but those animals have the same feelings and survival insticts the rest of us have, and it is my belief pointlessly killing one is at least as bad as killing a person- after all, when it comes down to it we're nothing but self-over-glorified animals.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Do you eat fast food? Do you at places that don't sell Organic/Cage-free/Pasture roaming animals? If so, then don't talk to me about animal cruelty.

I clarified several times I support killing animals for survival purposes. Do what you gotta do, but I'm still not seeing anyone give any explanations for pointlessly killing animals that don't make them sound like they have mental hygeine issues. I'm paraphrasing here, but "There is nothing wrong with killing animals for fun and no other purpose" is a fairly sociopathic statement.

And yes, a few people who work in slaughter-houses are cruel. They are in the minority and with all the animal-rights people infiltrating the industry their numbers get smaller and smaller as time goes by. It is an unfortunate reality that live thrives on death and some people make that death needlessly unpleasant, but the system is getting better as time go on. For now it is a neccessary evil.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Yes I would. There is a difference between killing rats in your house (survival) and taking them to the range and pointlessly making them suffer. Also, pigeons aren't nearly as likely to infest your house, so we're kinda talking apples and oranges here. If you are refferring to the diseases they both supposedly carry, like I said, from my research pigeons are approximately as filthy as any other wild bird (carrion-eating animals excluded).

I may remain in the minority but the NRA will never see another dime from me. And call me crazy, but if I ever personally witnessed someone kill an animal solely for fun and no other productive purpose, things would get ugly quick. I know many of you will refuse to believe this but those animals have the same feelings and survival insticts the rest of us have, and it is my belief pointlessly killing one is at least as bad as killing a person- after all, when it comes down to it we're nothing but self-over-glorified animals.
    1. Where do you get the idea that these birds are "suffering"?
    2. Animals have the same feelings we do??? Really????!!!!
    3. If you stumbled on one of these events "things would get ugly"? How so? Are you going to confront a legal group of sportsman? and do what? I think you may end up just getting yourself hurt. Dial back the rhetoric a bit London, we get it, you arent a fan of shooting birds, point made. No one else here has an issue with it.

I think PETA has a pretty active website. You should check it out.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    ... but if I ever personally witnessed someone kill an animal solely for fun and no other productive purpose, things would get ugly quick.
    Your arguement/position lost a lot of credibility with me on that comment.

As others have said, nothing is perfect. The good the NRA does outweighs the bad IMO. I'm a life'r as well.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    It's called hunting.

I don't think it's very sporting the way they do it, but they're shooting birds. Of course, those birds have more of a chance than the chickens at the Tyson factory.

If I was going to point out things I don't like about the NRA this wouldn't even make the list.

I abhor torture of animals, but a clean kill is a clean kill.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    it is my belief pointlessly killing one is at least as bad as killing a person- after all, when it comes down to it we're nothing but self-over-glorified animals.

Wow...oh, just wow. Full of ourselves, are we?

Dude - pigeon shooting is a LEGAL SPORT. DEAL WITH IT. Shooting hogs as a control measure - many of 'em are wounded and left to die. Would I do it? Not if I could get to 'em to give 'em a finishing shot - but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, either.

Tell ya what....I'm going to find a pigeon shoot and tell you when and where it is. You bring yourself on out there and let "things get ugly".... I don't think you're gonna like the results, but you can damned well bet that you're going to be the center of attention!

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    , when it comes down to it we're nothing but self-over-glorified animals.

God disagrees with you.

Genesis 1:28
    God blessed them, saying to them, 'Be fruitful, multiply, fill the earth and subdue it. Be masters of the fish of the sea, the birds of heaven and all the living creatures that move on earth.'

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

So catching the rats in a live trap, going to the range and ending their life with a well placed shot to the head from a .22 is somehow more crule than letting them suffer on a glue trap, poisoning, or being caught in a spring trap wrong and dying hours later, the later versions just make you feel better for not '''pulling the trigger'', you are still causing the animal to suffer by varying degrees depending on your method and probably more so than if it were shot.

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    I was just simply saying, if you don't support a legal sporting event b/c you think its animal cruelty, then you shouldn't support businesses that condone it as well so you can get your 50 piece nugget for $4.99. It's gotta go both ways. Its ok b/c its being made into food? and its not ok b/c those guys aren't eating the birds? Who cares, you eat meat from birds that suffer a lot more than that!

I used to shoot birds for fun with my BB gun when I was little.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Your argument seems to be that because they don't use hunting as their sole source of sustenance then survival is not a factor.

No, my argument is their hunting has nothing to do with survival. If they did not hunt, they would still survive; quite well in fact.

It is really silly for me to argue with a man who presents an ill-conceived and not well considered argument, then when presented with facts and shown his flaws in logic either does not have the common sense or lacks the integrity to change his position or even consided other ideas.

I will say I am not surprised.

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    I am surprised that he owns a gun or eats meat i am a life member of the NRA i hunt and i shoot and i don't wine about birds rights because i hunt them as well but then i never drank the left side coolaid or hugged a tree either.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I am surprised that he owns a gun or eats meat i am a life member of the NRA i hunt and i shoot and i don't wine about birds rights because i hunt them as well but then i never drank the left side coolaid or hugged a tree either.

I never hugged a tree either, but I sure do love bush!

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Obama has turned many a gay man back to Bush.

Where is it written that when you kill vermin you must hold a candlelight vigil and mourn for three days? Vermin are vermin. If we can organize a hunt and actually enjoy killing the rats, what's the problem? You're going to think this is sick, but when I was a kid we lived in a 100 year old house... with rats. For fun, I'd sit in the attic and wait to take out a rat with my BB gun. The alternative was a trap or poison. They're going to die either way. Shooting them is usually quick and humane; certainly more humane than poisons or some of the other methods.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    When my daughter was much younger, she was a bit of a bleeding heart, as children tend to be. I found that I had a mouse in my house, so I bought a glue trap. One morning, I heard squealing and found that I'd caught the sucker. Of course, my daughter was appalled and insisted I take the little guy outside and let him go. Who can argue with their little girl????

So, I take the mouse outside and carefully pry him out of the glue, being very careful not to hurt him. I drop him on the grass, he scampers across the lawn and into the street, where a huge Blue Jay swoops down, grabs him and flies off. My daughter was devastated, but I had to explain to her that this is life. Remember that "Circle of Life" thing from that movie? This is it!

Now, I'm sure that mouse would have rather been shot than ripped apart and eaten alive.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    yup its called the food chain. Guess what were near the top cuz our brains. Thats the way it works dude. I eat meat, and I'm not for one second ashamed of it.

I believe in animal rights.

Every animal has the right to be served with mashed potatoes.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Might not be relevant, and it might be. Anyone remember or heard of rabbit drives?
    Population control out on the plains back in the mid and early 1900s.
    Google

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom