• ...and so much more!
  • Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Interesting.

I tend to not believe much of what's in the news, including this article. They're all selling a product. Also, does anyone think that those professionals with the level of commitment necessary to be involved operationally are going to blab anything to a reporter? I think they have a little more discipline than that.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    interesting, i sorta question the motive behind the SEAL coming forward....

I agree.

...According to a former Navy SEAL who claims to have the inside track,..

There's actually quite a few SEALs, and most aren't DEVGRU. This sounds to me like some guy who once made it through and became a "SEAL" who has a buddy there who knows someone who might have been in a support capacity who heard from another communications guy talk about what happened...or he might have read it online

$1,000,000 says it wasn't anyone directly related to the operation. But, if I'm a reporter and can quote a "SEAL" then I look to have the inside track, my editor now loves me and most normal human Americans will believe me.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    my other question would be - what does it matter? if the operation happened the way we were led to believe or the way this guy is saying - who cares? they went in - they killed him and took his body and dumped it in the Indian Ocean

i guess i'm at a loss as to what his point really is.......i can see the whole intell farming aspect of it - keeping it on the down low for awhile but this was too big a story to keep under wraps....for any president...my opinion anyway

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    my other question would be - what does it matter?
    I would think mainly to show this was not a "shoot on sight" mission, as stated by some, but a raid of the compound that led to his killing as he was trying to get to a weapon. That and to make money selling the book.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i think most americans would be ok with a "shoot on sight" mission - maybe i'm wrong but i dont need the daily drama of a trial for OBL - what a freaking sideshow circus that would have been

i think - if he reached for a weapon or not - Obama is glad "he did"

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    This rendition is more believable in my opinion, especially the part about the political vs. intel gain. Had the Obama administration kept a lid on the raid, we could have easily increased the damage done to al Qaida tenfold; but rushing to announce it had occurred negated the usefulness of the intelligence gained from the compound (almost worth as much as whacking bin Laden himself!).

Honestly, it would have likely served Obama better if he waited a year or so to make the announcement; even if the actual kill happened the previous May he still would have benefitted greatly from the news (many feel it has been the highpoint on his presidency). It would have been smarter to save it until the election was heating up, but without getting into a political debate I believe he wanted the boost to his image now. I wonder how much he will taut this success during his reelection bid?

Still, there are only a handful of individuals who really know what happened that night in Abbottabad; and I am sure it’s one helluva story! Unfortunately, most of us (including those of us with some access to the details) will never get the full story. That’s a shame, but understandable…

Cheers! M2

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i think the backlash from keeping this under wraps for a year would have been horrible - people would have seen it as a ploy to get re-elected, and demanded to know sooner

i also dont think you can send in elite troops like that - and leave a helicopter behind - in a foreign country -and keep it a secret......did we think Pakistan was going to play along and remain quiet on the issue? Doubtful

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    i also dont think you can send in elite troops like that - and leave a helicopter behind - in a foreign country -and keep it a secret......did we think Pakistan was going to play along and remain quiet on the issue? Doubtful

You'd be surprised, very surprised, at what's been done in this effort...and how if this went unannounced by the administration how little media attention it would have garnered...

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    You'd be surprised, very surprised, at what's been done in this effort...and how if this went unannounced by the administration how little media attention it would have garnered...

pakistan hasnt exactly been a role model when it comes to "friendly nation" - they'll take our money but they've publicly stabbed us in the back/front on a number of occasions

if there was a benefit for them - they'd spill the info

just my opinion

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    This rendition is more believable in my opinion, especially the part about the political vs. intel gain. Had the Obama administration kept a lid on the raid, we could have easily increased the damage done to al Qaida tenfold; but rushing to announce it had occurred negated the usefulness of the intelligence gained from the compound (almost worth as much as whacking bin Laden himself!).

Honestly, it would have likely served Obama better if he waited a year or so to make the announcement; even if the actual kill happened the previous May he still would have benefitted greatly from the news (many feel it has been the highpoint on his presidency). It would have been smarter to save it until the election was heating up, but without getting into a political debate I believe he wanted the boost to his image now. I wonder how much he will taut this success during his reelection bid?

Still, there are only a handful of individuals who really know what happened that night in Abbottabad; and I am sure it’s one helluva story! Unfortunately, most of us (including those of us with some access to the details) will never get the full story. That’s a shame, but understandable…

Cheers! M2
    Isn't it nice when stories like this come out and you can speak up a little more about it.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I hope that if there's a book deal a good chunk of the money goes to the guys that put in the years of commitment to get him, regardless of the story that gets printed. They get paid peanuts for the services they provide.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I really don't see Pakistan keeping this under wraps at all: therefore, their argument about the intel is losing.

There are numerous reasons why it would be in Pakistan's best interests to keep a lid on this. They are also battling an Islamic-based insurgency, both internally and externally, and this "event" didn't do their government any favors.

While I am not a big fan of Pakistan, I do understand their situation and if you put the shoe on the other foot, I am sure we'd try to shape things to suit our best interests as well.

You can't judge another country's actions on what our goals and desires are, we don't always take that into account when formulating our foreign policy which is why we end up in some of the messes we're in. But, as someone who works in the defense sector, I have to admit that our poor diplomatic decisions have given us some job security over the years...

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I have my doubts about any of the SEALS involved in the operation sharing significant details with somebody who would go write a book about it.

Regardless of which stories haveany accuracy ......
    Somewhere out there is a crew of warriors who did the job. They probably dont give a shit what the line in the media is. But in case any of them are ever websearchin gun sites and happen upon our thread.... Thank you very much!!!

Top Bottom