• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    The NRA transformed from a excellent pro-gun rights organization into The Cult of Wayne. Somewhere along that transition then became a net negative as the corruption at the top destroys the credibility of the message. They put maximizing marketing revenue over message relevance and effectiveness over a decade ago. Since then, they are dead to me until Wayne and his cronies are gone.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    The NRA transformed from a excellent pro-gun rights organization into The Cult of Wayne. Somewhere along that transition then became a net negative as the corruption at the top destroys the credibility of the message. They put maximizing marketing revenue over message relevance and effectiveness over a decade ago. Since then, they are dead to me until Wayne and his cronies are gone.
    <>

AMEN !

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

For the FO NRA Austin banquet back around 1993, they announced that an extremely important surprise speaker would appear.

We expected Ronald Reagan, or maybe Charlton Heston.

The speakers blarred “Hail to the Chief”, & our into the spotlight strode WlP, in a $5000 suit. . . .

Right then & there, I knew there was a really big PROBLEM.

<>

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    And because Wayne is a useful milquetoast. The other corrupt members of the Cabal want to keep him in power. Ackerman McQueen used him to bilk members out of a lot of their hard earned cash.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    And because Wayne is a useful milquetoast. The other corrupt members of the Cabal want to keep him in power. Ackerman McQueen used him to bilk members out of a lot of their hard earned cash.
    Oh yes this organization Ackerman McQuuen. The only good thing came of them was Dana Loesch who was an employee for this organization.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    The NRA is the reason why the 1934 NFA, 68 GCA, and 86 Closure of the MG registry, and the 93 AWB happened.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The NRA is the reason why the 1934 NFA, 68 GCA, and 86 Closure of the MG registry, and the 93 AWB happened.
    Yeah, but...

For the GCA and the 93 AWB, some form of gun control was going to pass. The NRA managed to limit the damage. The sunset provision of the AWB and the lessening of many of the bad parts of the GCA were things they got. I remember being a kid and having to sign a register whenever I bought a box of .22s.

The closing of the machine gun registry was a poison pill thrown at FOPA by the Dems in an attempt to kill it. The NRA made a choice to accept the bad amendment(s) in order to solve other problems that, at the time, were acute. They may have made the wrong choice when they gave Reagan the go-ahead to sign but that's something about which reasonable people may differ.

As for the NFA, yes, the NRA was absolutely on the wrong side.

Conclusion? You're oversimplifying. The things you cite are a mixed bag. The NRA wasn't consistently right but they weren't always wrong.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Yeah, but...

For the GCA and the 93 AWB, some form of gun control was going to pass. The NRA managed to limit the damage. The sunset provision of the AWB and the lessening of many of the bad parts of the GCA were things they got. I remember being a kid and having to sign a register whenever I bought a box of .22s.

The closing of the machine gun registry was a poison pill thrown at FOPA by the Dems in an attempt to kill it. The NRA made a choice to accept the bad amendment(s) in order to solve other problems that, at the time, were acute. They may have made the wrong choice when they gave Reagan the go-ahead to sign but that's something about which reasonable people may differ.

As for the NFA, yes, the NRA was absolutely on the wrong side.

Conclusion? You're oversimplifying. The things you cite are a mixed bag. The NRA wasn't consistently right but they weren't always wrong.

Well if the NRA had to capitulate on 68 & 93 what good are they really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    From the NRA's American's 1st Freedom blog

In a commentary titled “New York State Can’t Be Allowed to Stifle the NRA’s Political Speech,” the ACLU’s legal director, David Cole, wrote, “If the NRA’s charges are true, the state’s actions would clearly violate the First Amendment. Public officials are, of course, free to criticize groups with which they disagree. But they cannot use their regulatory authority to penalize advocacy groups by threatening companies that do business with those groups. And here the state has admitted, in its own words,at that it focused on the NRA and other groups not because of any illegal conduct, but because they engage in ‘gun promotion’—in other words, because they advocate a lawful activity....

The ACLU also wrote, “You may have your own opinions about the NRA, but all Americans should be concerned about this sort of overreach. If the New York attorney general can do this to the NRA, why couldn’t the attorney general of a red state take similar action against the ACLU, the AFL-CIO, Common Cause, or Everytown for Gun Safety?”

The ACLU observed that America’s democracy is premised on the right of association.
    [BTW: ACLU is a very left-wing organization but on occasion they some things right]

In other words government trying to stifle free speech of an advocacy group. If they succeed against the NRA which 2A group will be next. Or any other civic, political, business, religious, social, cultural might government try to shut down. It's a slippery slope we all go down.

Yes, I know there not just a few who have very important and significant gripes about the NRA and the current leadership. The NRA is the really big target for leftist anti-gun officials. Take the down the big guy on the block and who is left to defend our 2A.

Attachments

• silencing3.jpg
      silencing3.jpg
      58 KB · Views: 55
    • silencing.jpg
      silencing.jpg
      85.7 KB · Views: 52
    • silencing1.jpg
      silencing1.jpg
      522.3 KB · Views: 53
    • silencing2.jpg
      silencing2.jpg
      39.4 KB · Views: 56

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    , back in 1992 or ’93, @ the Austin NRA Sponsors meeting/banquet; we were told of an incipient “VIP” Visitor that night.

We expected Heston, President GH Bush or Reagan.

Entering to impressive music was Wayne LaPierre, striding to the microphone like as if he were a combo of Julius Caesar & Elvis.

At that very moment I realized that something was very, very wrong with both Wayne and the NRA.
    I was slapped in the face with the fact that something was wrong in the mid 1980s. I was coordinating an Olympic team qualifier in Houston. Back then, the NRA was still the National Governing Body for Olympic shooting sports. The NRA sent me a grizzled old veteran of competitive pistol shooting to assist. I learned a hell of a lot from him and we had a good meet.

On the second day of competition, though, a brand new Buick Grand National pulled in right behind the spectators area, a place that was strictly forbidden except for the medical teams. Out gets a real sight, a middle aged man with his sweater tied across his shoulders and his sunglasses on top of his head, looking like an insufferable character from an '80s college sex comedy. He strutted around like he owned the place, all the while ostentatiously displaying his Playboy model-looking trophy wife. Lucky for me, the guy from the NRA went over to deal with him.

Then he left. The NRA guy explained to me that he was one of the new breed of executives at the NRA who "know everything and don't listen to anyone. But they're making enough money to lord it over everyone and wear their glasses on top of their heads." (That's paraphrasing but accurately embodies the gist of it.). The look of utter disgust on his face communicated volumes.

I didn't know exactly what was going on but it was clear that the inside-out rot at the NRA had started.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    On the second day of competition, though, a brand new Buick Grand National pulled in right behind the spectators area, a place that was strictly forbidden except for the medical teams. Out gets a real sight, a middle aged man with his sweater tied across his shoulders and his sunglasses on top of his head, looking like an insufferable character from an '80s college sex comedy. He strutted around like he owned the place, all the while ostentatiously displaying his Playboy model-looking trophy wife.
    No joke, I think that was my cousin once removed. Only met him a few times, but was always memorable :laughing:

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I was slapped in the face with the fact that something was wrong in the mid 1980s. I was coordinating an Olympic team qualifier in Houston. Back then, the NRA was still the National Governing Body for Olympic shooting sports. The NRA sent me a grizzled old veteran of competitive pistol shooting to assist. I learned a hell of a lot from him and we had a good meet.

On the second day of competition, though, a brand new Buick Grand National pulled in right behind the spectators area, a place that was strictly forbidden except for the medical teams. Out gets a real sight, a middle aged man with his sweater tied across his shoulders and his sunglasses on top of his head, looking like an insufferable character from an '80s college sex comedy. He strutted around like he owned the place, all the while ostentatiously displaying his Playboy model-looking trophy wife. Lucky for me, the guy from the NRA went over to deal with him.

Then he left. The NRA guy explained to me that he was one of the new breed of executives at the NRA who "know everything and don't listen to anyone. But they're making enough money to lord it over everyone and wear their glasses on top of their heads." (That's paraphrasing but accurately embodies the gist of it.). The look of utter disgust on his face communicated volumes.

I didn't know exactly what was going on but it was clear that the inside-out rot at the NRA had started.
    I remember in the 80s the NRA had a very powerful influence with the Boy Scouts shooting team at the time plus they attended every hunter safety courses where they were providing membership to NRA packets and a huge discount if you joined. My first true encounter with an NRA instructor occurred after May 1995 I was a victim to a crime and I did not have faith with court system so I went back to the ranges and I met two NRA instructors who taught me and empowered me again. These guys came across as ex military and LEO types who were very proficient with their handguns and after several months of training with them I started to become even a better marksmanship shooter thanks to them. I credit these guys to not only training but convincing me to pursue a career rather than a job and gave me their advice. If just a good portion of my money went to kids training and victim empowerment I am satisfied. I understand Wayne has done some crap and yes we all have nodded our heads in disappointed and hoping this can be resolved soon but I cannot forget what they have done for me and others with similar experiences.

Top Bottom