• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I bought a house in an area that is rated as having no to very low risk of flooding and as such was told that there were no NFIP policies available for the area. So with the storms over the last two days we have gotten so much water that it is seeping into my house through the foundation and has now soaked the carpet in multiple rooms of my house. Called my homeowners insurance agent and was told that since the water was a result of a storm it was considered rising flood waters and as such not covered by my policy. So now im going to need to find a way to pay to have my slab sealed and the flooring replaced in my house. This is not going to be cheap and as a disabled vet on a fixed income its going to be even harder to get taken care of. Anyone have any advice on how to start going about doing this.
    Texas SOT

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Damn man that sucks. I know there used to be concrete sealers you could get at the lumber yards but no idea what they cost. Not gonna be cheap or easy I would imagine. Good luck.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I can buy one now but it is too late. But at the time that I bought my house (9 months ago) there were no policies available because this wasnt a NFIP community.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Directly from NFIP and FEMA.
    " In order to qualify for flood insurance, the home or business must be in a community that has joined the NFIP and agreed to enforce sound floodplain management standards."

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    After some google searching i would be looking at about $7000-9000 to seal the foundation to stop water from getting in (labor included). Then there is rebuilding the deck and sidewalks that would have to be torn out to do it and then replacing the floors. And who knows what kind of damage will be found during all of that.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I bought a house in an area that is rated as having no to very low risk of flooding and as such was told that there were no NFIP policies available for the area. So with the storms over the last two days we have gotten so much water that it is seeping into my house through the foundation and has now soaked the carpet in multiple rooms of my house.
    I am really uneducated about construction...how does water seep through concrete? Is it through cracks?

This is not going to be cheap and as a disabled vet on a fixed income its going to be even harder to get taken care of. Anyone have any advice on how to start going about doing this.

Yeah, without a savings that would suck. We are on a fixed income too. My wife and I are on a set salary each.

I hope you can figure out an inexpensive fix.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Power has been out here since 8pm last night.
    Had a pretty sporty storm come thru.
    Trees down all over.
    Looks like a hurricane.
    Arrrr

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    The soil here is very different from where I used to live and I know that it creates some unique challenges, but almost all water issues back home were caused by improper grading and lack of gutters on the home. Next time it rains put on a rain coat go outside and see if water is flowing away from the home. If it's not some grading will probably fix you up.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    Just a thought but, if this was a known issue to the seller when you bought the house, could there be some legal recourse to explore? It might be worth talking to a real estate lawyer???? I don't know.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    James,

First.....it's great to hear from you!

I had the exact problem when I got my place. The problem is with porosity of the bricks. I insisted that my Farmers agent give me the scoop on this and they know EXACTLY how much those bricks and/or concrete near the ground will seep. The contractor that built the houses in my subdivision used the same low quality Mexican bricks to build all of the 26 homes that we have here. They all have the same problem! Been here for 22 years.

Get a 5 gallon can of Thompsons Water Seal, a heavy Knapp roller and a long roller extension. My extension slides out to about 15 feet. Coat the bricks/concrete with the water sealer. It covers very quickly and you don't even need to be real neat about it. I started on one corner and went all the way around the house. There was some left over, so I started around once again. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Price on the 5 gallons of TWS was about $75.

Flash

Last edited:

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    It's best to disclose any defects that are material or important enough to affect the decision to buy your house. Disclosure laws and forms cover these major home systems and conditions:

• Plumbing and sewage issues
    • Water leakage of any type, including in basements
    • Termites or other insect infestations
    • Roof defects
    • Heating or air conditioning system issues
    • Property drainage problems
    • Foundation instabilities or cracks
    • Problems with title to the property
    • Neighbor issues that aren't obvious
    • Lead paint (under the federal Lead-Based Paint Hazard Reduction Act)

Not sure if this appies to you or not, just trying to help.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    Hmmmm. I havent been outside yet to survey any damage from the storm yesterday yet.... We shall see. A few peoples' places I know of have already flooded in.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I am really uneducated about construction...how does water seep through concrete? Is it through cracks?

Concrete is porous and water wicks through it. Concrete on the inside of a building has plastic under it to prevent the concrete from wicking the water out of the ground and up to the floor surface.

There is usually no barrier on the outside of a residential slab as it takes very saturated ground to allow the concrete to wick enough water to cause damage on the inside of the house. Anything deeper than a normal footing (a foot or so) is sealed, like say a basement.

My high school had a building that didn't get plastic under the slab. When we had a bunch of rain the whole bare slab looked like you could make a wave on it.

All concrete type products are porous, including brick, block, pavers, and Hardiplank siding.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    James,

First.....it's great to hear from you!

I had the exact problem when I got my place. The problem is with porosity of the bricks. I insisted that my Farmers agent give me the scoop on this and they know EXACTLY how much those bricks and/or concrete near the ground will seep. The contractor that built the houses in my subdivision used the same low quality Mexican bricks to build all of the 26 homes that we have here. They all have the same problem! Been here for 22 years.

Get a 5 gallon can of Thompsons Water Seal, a heavy Knapp roller and a long roller extension. My extension slides out to about 15 feet. Coat the bricks/concrete with the water sealer. It covers very quickly and you don't even need to be real neat about it. I started on one corner and went all the way around the house. There was some left over, so I started around once again. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Price on the 5 gallons of TWS was about $75.

Flash
    Tractor Supply sells a hand pump sprayer that would be easier and cover better.

Dig out around the house (deeper the better) and seal the crap out of it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom