• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    Here's another fact. Not everyone is suited for the rural life. Many may think they are, until they start living the rural life and then realize just how much hard work is really involved with living rural. And if you decide to go rural, and get some livestock, whatever they may be, then it becomes a daily thing, every day.

It's great life, if it's suited to your personality. Many people move to very rural areas, embrace the lifestyle and adapt to it quite well. Some just don't though.

Yes this is true. I grew up in rural Montana.
    life is not easy in places like that. You need to be tougher then a city slicker. Need the ability to plan. You can’t take things for granted.
    ARJ Defense ad

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Many times, in the past 23 years, I've wished there was a Walmart or HEB only 20 or 30 minutes away, instead of an hour. My little town's grocery and hardware stores are convenient, but limited, gas is more expensive...

Many people retire here, but then move back to the city after 2 or 3 years, for medical reasons.

In recent years, online shopping has made things easier for me, but there is no same day delivery, and even Amazon Prime can stretch to a week for delivery.

My monthly shopping trips take the whole day. The country only gets harder as you get older.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Many times, in the past 23 years, I've wished there was a Walmart or HEB only 20 or 30 minutes away, instead of an hour. My little town's grocery and hardware stores are convenient, but limited, gas is more expensive...

Many people retire here, but then move back to the city after 2 or 3 years, for medical reasons.

In recent years, online shopping has made things easier for me, but there is no same day delivery, and even Amazon Prime can stretch to a week for delivery.

My monthly shopping trips take the whole day. The country only gets harder as you get older.
    I would think the reduced stresses of big city noise has a huge impact on most oldsters! Even with the farther drives for most everything the lack of idiots on the road make it more worthwhile.

With that being said I have yet to find myself a doctor. That has more to do with Medicare begin for me right when we moved. Then having to change my healthcare provider.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    We left. Landed in corpus. Then when my employer sold out I got laid off.

Then found the right job ended up north of town. Unfortunately Houston is between me and the ocean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area

Or when small towns get a chain grocery store, it's the smallest crappiest version of the store.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Or when small towns get a chain grocery store, it's the smallest crappiest version of the store.
    If that happens, it's usually a smaller chain with higher prices...
    I would think the reduced stresses of big city noise has a huge impact on most oldsters! Even with the farther drives for most everything the lack of idiots on the road make it more worthwhile.

With that being said I have yet to find myself a doctor. That has more to do with Medicare begin for me right when we moved. Then having to change my healthcare provider.
    I've been happier here than anywhere in my life. I have no intention of ever moving to the city again myself, but wanted to mention a few negatives for rural.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    The only bad thing (besides meth heads) about small town E. TX is the medical. I've had relatives in two hospitals there that have zero English speaking doctors. I suppose they are good at their jobs but found it impossible to understand or communicate with them.
    One exception was Tyler, excellent doctors, but it really is not 'small' town.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    The only bad thing (besides meth heads) about small town E. TX is the medical. I've had relatives in two hospitals there that have zero English speaking doctors. I suppose they are good at their jobs but found it impossible to understand or communicate with them.
    One exception was Tyler, excellent doctors, but it really is not 'small' town.

We were told by neighbors when we moved out here, dont bother going to some of the local hospitals if it is a major illness or accident.... just make the drive to Tyler....about 45min.

We got about 20-25 minute drive into town...either north or south of us. You definitely need a dry erase board to make list of needed things from the store. Just gotta remember to take a pic of the board...before you leave the house.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    A store that doesn't show a profit does not last long be it in the country, the hood or a Metro Plex! When we both went for groceries together we hit Brookshire in Jewett. The size & lay out reminded me of a 60's store.

While in Houston I had tried to convince the wife to shop H-E-B. I had done the shopping for years as I was the one cooking & paying for it. When I became totally disillusioned with who I worked for I stopped doing the shopping. The Randall's store was the closest so she just kept shopping it.

When the wife ventured out on her first shopping trip in the country she got big time lost! What should have been a 2 hour max trip turned into stupid hours. I was home with my dog who wasn't good at the time. When she finally got back she told be she ended up in Centerville. Burned up all of her gas for the most part.

We tried the Brookshire in Buffalo once also but they lacked a lot of products we are use to. Sure I can Amazon all that crap, but I wanted to check out H-E-B in Mexia. Other then the drive it works best for me.

Long before we moved when talking about moving to the country my wife use to tell me we couldn't because MaoMart was the only place to shop. She knows all to well of my hatred of MaoMart.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    We were told by neighbors when we moved out here, dont bother going to some of the local hospitals if it is a major illness or accident.... just make the drive to Tyler....about 45min.

We got about 20-25 minute drive into town...either north or south of us. You definitely need a dry erase board to make list of needed things from the store. Just gotta remember to take a pic of the board...before you leave the house.
    Luckily I have that huge panrty & extra fridge/freezer. We have more back up food on hand now then we ever did. While I was still working no matter what happened I knew I'd be in the store & could score what I needed.

After one Hurricane when the store was limiting what you could have & closing early I was confronted by some bitch about a loaf of bread and a few other sold out items. I told her if her ass had came into work @ 4 am & been here for 12 hours dealing with people like her she could have bread too!

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Been in Houston since the late 80s. Got about 5 more years to retirement. Probably gonna settle where ever the kids are when the time comes. Grew up in a small farming community in South Texas. Can’t really say I’ve been unhappy with big city life.
    The Restaurants are definetly better if your tastes are eclectic.

mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    A store that doesn't show a profit does not last long be it in the country, the hood or a Metro Plex! When we both went for groceries together we hit Brookshire in Jewett. The size & lay out reminded me of a 60's store.

While in Houston I had tried to convince the wife to shop H-E-B. I had done the shopping for years as I was the one cooking & paying for it. When I became totally disillusioned with who I worked for I stopped doing the shopping. The Randall's store was the closest so she just kept shopping it.

When the wife ventured out on her first shopping trip in the country she got big time lost! What should have been a 2 hour max trip turned into stupid hours. I was home with my dog who wasn't good at the time. When she finally got back she told be she ended up in Centerville. Burned up all of her gas for the most part.

We tried the Brookshire in Buffalo once also but they lacked a lot of products we are use to. Sure I can Amazon all that crap, but I wanted to check out H-E-B in Mexia. Other then the drive it works best for me.

Long before we moved when talking about moving to the country my wife use to tell me we couldn't because MaoMart was the only place to shop. She knows all to well of my hatred of MaoMart.

I grew up in Lake Jackson which used to be the "big" small town people from surrounding smaller towns would go to if they didn't want to drive to Houston. Had a mall (which is now a toilet), restaurants, etc. We always had the crappiest version of chain stores/restaurants. Don't think I could do anymore rural than that....

Jarine88

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    Tomball
    I long to get back to the country as soon as I can. I have lived in small towns, suburbs and big cities throughout my life. My wife of 33 years grew up on a sugar cane farm in south Louisiana. We currently live off 290 in Cypress, about 5 miles inside of 99. We are not far from the country, but still in a neighborhood. The only convenience I would really miss is medical. We’ve lived 30 minutes from a store before and a little more won’t hurt. We don’t eat out often and never go out to bars or for “city” things like theaters, museums, sports, etc.

I want at least 10 acres, but would welcome much, much more. I would love a stock pond or lake to fish in and be able to hunt on my own land.

After years of struggle, I landed a job 10 years ago that pays really well. I now lead a global engineering discipline for a international oil and gas company. I can work remotely most of the time as long as I have high speed internet, but will have to come to Houston on occasions for meetings. I think my international travel days may be over though since I am high risk for getting the vaccine, so I am avoiding it.

The Lord willing, I should be able to retire from this job in 2025 and buy what I’m looking for. I may be able to do it sooner. It will depend on my wife and if the company will allow me to officially go “fully” remote.

Top Bottom