• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Empty lot behind me sold. Hopefully material cost holds up building.

I'm pretty lucky. To the east of my house is the road, to the west, behind the house is probably over 3K acres of forest, underbrush and right now, lots of swampy land. To the north is huge cow pasture and to the south, another small farm with a house and some smaller pastures. Very unlikely anyone will ever build close to our house in my lifetime.

Since my brother's younger daughter has graduated high school and will be heading to college pretty soon, I look for him and his wife to maybe soon start building a house down here on the farm. Across the road from our house is one of the old orchards, and it sits on higher ground, so I figure that might be the spot he might use.
    Military Camp

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I’ll admit Houston was good to me! Way better then the state of Illinois, but when you come from a shithole anything’s better. Thinking I needed to stay as long as I did was stupid.

Thinking you can’t earn money out in small towns in Texas, was a big mistake on my behalf. Thinking you don’t want to leave friends or family is another stupid concept.

Once gain I’m sitting here on my screened in back porch smelling the smoker and enjoying peace & quiet. Watching Cardinals chasing around, Bluejays fighting with Mockingbird. Seeing all the other critters ain’t bad.

The most urban sounds like lawn mowers, leaf blowers and weed whackers are somewhat muffled. Hearing boats out on the water or peeps cruising around in their various ATV’s beats blaring bass and the drone of traffic!

If I would have lived here when I was young I might of had kids.

I know how you feel after I left my former State of California to come here due to work. I knew something was in good store for me when I was offered a position in Houston and it only took me one second to answer them. Since coming here I now own a home, bigger gun collection, a wife and three kids.one of them now a shotgun competitor ready to nationals.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    We would love to move farther away from Houston (Living in Katy). However, due to my son's medical condition we are in the med center all the time. I am in Bastrop for work once a month and really like it out there and the areas between there and Katy. Land is insane right now anyways, so seems we will stay put.

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    We would love to move farther away from Houston (Living in Katy). However, due to my son's medical condition we are in the med center all the time. I am in Bastrop for work once a month and really like it out there and the areas between there and Katy. Land is insane right now anyways, so seems we will stay put.
    Lot's of development going on out that way. Hope you son is doing well.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Back in the early 1970's, we moved from Houston to just south of Conroe, in between the San Jacinto River and Shenadoah, just off Interstate 45.

Back then, there was very little in between Conroe and Houston. There were a few small strip malls, and the closer you got to the San Jacinto river, there were quite a few bait shops along the feeder roads along the interstate.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    You-all don't know how good you've got it !

"The grass always looks greener. . . . . . .

In 2008, I was convinced to leave our beautiful townhome in mid-City Houston and move to New Orleans to serve my Alma Mater. . . . . .

If you want to see a real shit-hole, head East on IH 10 !

leVieux

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

In 2008, I was convinced to leave our beautiful townhome in mid-City Houston and move to New Orleans to serve my Alma Mater. . . . . .

leVieux
    New Orleans is so dank I get sick from sinus drainage upon arriving, about an hour out of town my sinuses clear up. even knowing how it effects my allergies I cannot take enough meds to want to be there!

Jarine88

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    Tomball

leVieux

Meh, I would never wanna live near Nawlins, me. Nope.

If I had to work there, I would find some place that would stay dry and commute. The house we had in northern Livingston Parish stayed dry until that 2016 fiasco. Fortunately, we sold it and moved here in 2009.

I think I have it figured out. Any place large enough to continually elect democrats for mayor is probably too big for me. :D

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I grew up in a small town of 60 people, then spent my highschool years living in the country and going to a school with 200 students. I spent my 20’s in a small city of 20,000 and hunted and fished 12 months a year.

Got married and moved to the city to make a better living. Spent the next 40 years in several metro areas and their suburbs but always surrounded by 2-3 million people. My hunting went away and my fishing changed to urban rivers/lakes and several out of state guided trips a year.

At 67 I moved to East Texas and feel like I have come full circle to when I was a kid. Other than the humidity and the accents, it’s pretty much like it was where I grew up. I came here to get away from the queers and commies and I plan to die surrounded by God’s people.

I would never go back to the city……any city. Country and small town living has a spiritual aspect brought on by being surrounded by trees, pasture, animals and people who actually have respect for God, country and others. City life has no soul and relaxation means knowing the doors and windows are bolted shut and the alarms set.

I made a lot of money in the cities, but it was a time when I lost my soul and I had to move back to the country to find it. God bless East Texas!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I’m sitting on my back porch drinking iced tea watching the smoker do an eye of round. 2:30ish and I have deer wandering the street.

If this was Houston the drone of traffic, yard crews & some loud ass bass would keep me inside along with the air quality! Some asshat would have knocked on my door asking if my truck was for sale. The mailman would he heard talking on his phone while miss delivering the mail. Crackheads would be wandering the streets looking to steal anything. The lesser drug addicted phucing would be heading through to the Blood Plasma place or the place to sign up for work to keep their unemployment +
    78572F66-FF8E-46A1-8737-1EF89FD5CBC5.jpeg
    CA29F3A2-26CA-4A4C-A610-FA0BA69EF9D9.jpeg

DallasCMT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    You definitely need a dry erase board to make list of needed things from the store. Just gotta remember to take a pic of the board...before you leave the house.
    There's a neat little free app called Listonic that you can put on your phone, your wife's phone, too. You create one account and log into that account with both phones. Whenever you think of something you need, you add it to the list - and you can have multiple lists. I've got a Grocery list, a Walmart list, Costco, even Online for stuff I want to order. Since the account is shared, entries show up on both phones in real time. Once you buy it, touch the check box to show is bought. You can reuse lists, too. Pretty handy.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I know how you feel after I left my former State of California to come here due to work. I knew something was in good store for me when I was offered a position in Houston and it only took me one second to answer them. Since coming here I now own a home, bigger gun collection, a wife and three kids.one of them now a shotgun competitor ready to nationals.
    My wife and I moved to Houston from Cleveland, OH in 1990, bought a house and have had that same house for the entire time. It's been paid for for thirteen years and I've got no qualms about being here.

Sure, I'd LOVE to get 100acres of rural Texas to call my own, but ever since I got hurt on the job a decade ago, I've not been certain whether I could handle the physical tasks of working a piece of land. I'm an amputee with mobility challenges and proximity to Houston's superb medical facilities is important to my wife and me.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    IMO
    Its NOT the city you live in but rather how you live in that city.

SA is not that much different than H town. I live 7 mi from SA intl a/p in NE SA.

Dont go downtown less I have too
    Avoid as much of “city” as I can.

Weekends are spent 75 mi away on the land.

Adapt and overcome and adjust to what makes you feel comfy.

OR bitch and complain and do nothing to effect it.

I will be out of the city for good in about 2yrs.

Took 40 plus yrs to do it but that has always been the plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's what attracts me to living rural. The less people the better.
    I grew up across the street from a farm. I spent most of my days as a kid across the street looking at the tractors and running through the cornfields. I wanted to be a farmer. That lifestyle never left me.

I tell my wife all the time, If we ever hit it big- I'm buying one of these just to drive around checking game cams.
    John Deere 9 Series tractors get an update for 2022 | Successful Farming

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I grew up across the street from a farm. I spent most of my days as a kid across the street looking at the tractors and running through the cornfields. I wanted to be a farmer. That lifestyle never left me.

I tell my wife all the time, If we ever hit it big- I'm buying one of these just to drive around checking game cams.
    View attachment 260830

Up until the age of ten, we lived in and around Houston and Conroe, but my brother and I spent most of our summers here in East Texas at our grandparents. My grandfather passed away when I was eleven, and our father inherited the farm. I vowed when I left home at the tender age of sixteen, that I would never build another fence, or clear brush again in my life.

I inherited a small part of the family farm from my father about twenty five years ago, and guess what I do now? Yep! Clearing brush and building fences!

I think living a rural life is a part of some people, even if they don't really know that it is. Living and working in big cities, I got to see and do a lot of things, but rural living is where I want to be now. I am very content living here.

Top Bottom