• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Nuclear power plants are definitely not shielded and absolutely do not have any protections in place for any sort of disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Military Camp

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    If we have a major catastrophe where the power goes out for more than 2 weeks I have enough fuel and supplies to get where I am going, which won't be here in DFW. I have a plan... BTW.. in 6 months you'll want to be away from any major city... Nuclear power plants have 2 weeks of diesel generator fuel to keep the cooling systems going. After that every last one of them will go into meltdown.

You won't want to be within 100 miles of any of these little blue stars on this map.

https://www.nrc.gov/info-finder/reactors/

Nuclear power plants have contingency plans for emergency shut downs. If our grid is fried, they will start the shut down after a few days. This used to worry me until I looked into it further. I don't think there's any near central Texas, most near DFW and Houston.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Nuclear power plants have contingency plans for emergency shut downs. If our grid is fried, they will start the shut down after a few days. This used to worry me until I looked into it further. I don't think there's any near central Texas, most near DFW and Houston.

Well not to give anything away but my contingency is in central texasish... I can make it on foot in about 8 days.

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    There are 60 plants with 98 reactors. That's a lot.
    Yes its a lot but not too much for FEMA to plan for. Ignoring the possibility and doing no preparation would result in the ruination of the entire country and indeed the planet - not even counting the other power plants across the globe. If they have no plans in place, they are committing the most significant crime against humanity in the history of our species. I think they do have this covered because literally everyone would be affected - including the elites hiding in their bunkers.

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Good to know. With the possibility of grid failure very high, there is simply no way they wouldn't have a plan.

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Just how high is the possibility of grid failure?
    I think its hard to put a probability to it. The thing is that there are a number of reasons that it could happen - cyber attacks of the operating systems, nuclear EMP, solar EMP and physical attack of key transfer locations... You see articles like "It's not if but when" and such...

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    I just realized we have a bigger problem. If there is a world wide grid out from a solar flare, we're in real trouble.
    nuclearplants.jpg

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    This came up already upthread - it was stated that the plants have enough backup generator time to shut the reactors down and make them safe. I would certainly hope so.... and if that weren't the case, it would beg the question "why were they built in the first place?".

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    This came up already upthread - it was stated that the plants have enough backup generator time to shut the reactors down and make them safe. I would certainly hope so.... and if that weren't the case, it would beg the question "why were they built in the first place?".

Some of these countries don't have the safety precautions we do. I'm sure the Russian, Ukranian and other eastern European reactors have exactly the same level of backup as we do... :eyeroll

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    We're talking about an EMP blast, they can't produce electricity if that happens.
    The damage from an EMP comes from the voltage generated by the magnetic pulse crossing a coil or current carrying conductor like a wire and generating a current higher than that coil or whatever it’s attached to can handle. The generators of our power plants are of sufficient size to be rated in Megawatts. The windings are absolutely huge and handle massive amounts of current at extremely high voltages. The EMP is one quick burst, it will be over long before anyone realizes it has happened.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Yes its a lot but not too much for FEMA to plan for.

I’m pretty certain DOE will be the decision maker on what to do if something catastrophic were to occur.

Now to get that decision to the local facilities is a whole ‘nother story. Reality is that’ll probably be a local decision made with the nest information possible and the playbook approved by DOE.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I’m pretty certain DOE will be the decision maker on what to do if something catastrophic were to occur.

Now to get that decision to the local facilities is a whole ‘nother story. Reality is that’ll probably be a local decision made with the nest information possible and the playbook approved by DOE.
    FEMA is the generator and fuel agency.
    If DOE asks, FEMA will deliver.

Top Bottom