• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I always do a BOS. Because if the cops ever come to me and say that gun was used in a crime (they say there's no registration but you always hear about them tracing the gun all the way back to the gun store that originally sold it) then I want to be able to give the cops the guys info to eliminate myself as a suspect.

ROFL

A paper trail you sold a gun used in a crime. Yeah, nobody has ever been sued out of existence over that...

Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats an anonymous sale.
    Capitol Armory ad

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Bought a Glock a long time back from a guy who wanted a bill of sale. He only wanted a name and sig cause that's all I would give him so I said yes.

I asked if he was the origin buyer and had receipts and he said yes but no receipts. If I dont know the person I get as much history as I could then. I just dont buy from strangers anymore really. Dont mind selling to them but that's a different story for another time.

Anyways it turned out he lied and was a Texas gun trader gun flipper. Not selling stolen stuff just flipping guns aka dealing without a license.

He kept meticulous records and didnt delete his ads. I know this cause he kept them in the cases of the guns. I was able, thru the 3 Bills of sale to call each of the previous owners back to the original one who bought it from cheaper than dirt in FT worth, the only truth in the sellers story. The ads all the way back to the original owner was still on TGT at the time still too.

So at least leave the bill.of sale with the gun so we have an ancestory of the gun the mormans would be proud of.

GIVING OUT PERSONAL INFO TO STRANGERS IS NO BUENO.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Excellent points, and all these reasons are why the government will most likely make private sales forbidden at some point.
    Exactly. That has been brought forth several times, along with UBC's, and having to go through an FFL to gift a firearm to a friend or family member.

Imagine, for a moment, of a father, a grandfather, a husband, or a close friend having to go through an FFL in order to gift a firearm to someone? Out of your own private collection?

Imagine having to go through another government provided hurdle to sell your own private property?

IMO, if private sales end up being governed by law to require an FFL, my thoughts are that it's possible they are trying to build a registry to know exactly what firearms, and how many a person owns. Not for sure how accurate that database could or would be, but it could be the start.

Another point I'd like to address as well about the BOS. I have heard from those that use or support using a BOS that one of their arguments, or gripes, or maybe their concern is that people that don't want to use a BOS as condition of selling is that they are prohibited from buying from an FFL, so a private sale, without any paperwork is the only means that they can buy a gun. I'm not naive in the least. I'm sure that some prohibited people have bought guns in private transactions. I am also sure some sellers are more concerned with making a buck than being concerned that a criminal is getting a gun as well. I counter that with, if a criminal wants a gun, or feels he needs a gun, another law isn't going to stop them from getting one.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    This thread reminds me of a conversation between Doc and Festus:
    Doc: wiping his mustache, how are you today Festus?
    Festus: Squinting one eye, well Doc I got me the argues, don't you see.
    Doc: what in tarnation's are the argues, wiping his mustache.
    Festus: well you ole scallywag you should know being a doctor and all, the argues are one set of aches and pains arguing with another.
    Doc: that's the dadburnest thing I have ever heard of. Argues!! wiping his mustache.
    Doc: Kitty give me another beer and give Festus one also, I know he doesn't have a nickle to his name, wiping his mustache.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    This thread reminds me of a conversation between Doc and Festus:
    Doc: wiping his mustache, how are you today Festus?
    Festus: Squinting one eye, well Doc I got me the argues, don't you see.
    Doc: what in tarnation's are the argues, wiping his mustache.
    Festus: well you ole scallywag you should know being a doctor and all, the argues are one set of aches and pains arguing with another.
    Doc: that's the dadburnest thing I have ever heard of. Argues!! wiping his mustache.
    Doc: Kitty give me another beer and give Festus one also, I know he doesn't have a nickle to his name, wiping his mustache.
    That was pretty danged funny! I can almost imagine that conversation taking place!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I still don't understand why it bothers so many if "the other guy" wants to use a BOS. Who gives a shit? Seller sets the terms. Not anyone else's business.
    Someone asked who recommends BOS, Texas Law Shield does.

The only thing more argued (debatable) is Covid 19 and vaccines. Both (BOS and vaccine) are individual decisions.

It's pretty simple - you have a gun for sale that I'd really like to own, but you want a BOS.... I try to discuss it w/you and you "stand firm" with your BS stupid belief that it somehow benefits you. You can take that gun and stick it where the sun don't shine. What SHOULD have been a pleasant transaction never happens...and who knows - you're STILL under the same odds of selling to a prohibited person since you have NO legal way of verifying what they told you.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    It's pretty simple - you have a gun for sale that I'd really like to own, but you want a BOS.... I try to discuss it w/you and you "stand firm" with your BS stupid belief that it somehow benefits you. You can take that gun and stick it where the sun don't shine. What SHOULD have been a pleasant transaction never happens...and who knows - you're STILL under the same odds of selling to a prohibited person since you have NO legal way of verifying what they told you.
    So, the buyer set the terms and that’s his/her choice. Buyer will only accept cash in single dollar bills. You want the gun bring a bunch of single dollar bills. You don’t like it don’t buy the gun. I understand that you don’t like it but I don’t like filling a 4473 either. Tough shit.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    So, the buyer set the terms and that’s his/her choice. Buyer will only accept cash in single dollar bills. You want the gun bring a bunch of single dollar bills. You don’t like it don’t buy the gun. I understand that you don’t like it but I don’t like filling a 4473 either. Tough shit.

Yup - the seller is free to prove to the world just how stupid they can be. And there's a difference between following a law and putting up with stupid BS from an idiot.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Excellent points, and all these reasons are why the government will most likely make private sales forbidden at some point.

That is EXACTLY what the universal background check the Dems are pushing does......

I can't wait to charge the seller and the buyer a transfer fee.................<sarcasm>

Don't give our freedoms away with this nonsense...........

Criminals will still be criminals and we will be less free...........

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    You laugh, but I had someone ask me to pay for a $350 gun in $10's. I did because it was a really good deal.

Dave Z

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Roanoke, TX
    Hoji, make sure you register this opinion with the state. It is currently registered in my name and I'm not sure it will get re-registered. lol

BTW, this is the mildest rant I think I've ever seen from you. You doing ok?
    Firearms in Texas are not registered, so they may not be re-registered.
    The form 4473 is a transfer record, not a registration.
    Many people are confused with this.
    If the firearm was registered in another state, it is the owners responsibility to de-register it with that authority as it is no longer in their jurisdiction.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Hoji, you must remember that a lot of people in Texas moved here from places where anti-gun politicians, bureaucrats, laws, and lawyers prevailed. In some states like NY and NJ, you must obtain a 'permit to purchase' which acts as vetting in their minds.
    They have a real fear of being prosecuted or sued as the result of someone else's actions.

I quit reading ads that request more than a glance at my DL.
    Proof of TX residency. Period.

Top Bottom