Tinnitus . . . how are you dealing with it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I had an ex-SIL who jumped up out of her bed wondering what that sound was. My bro didn't hear anything but he looked & in a curtain, there was a scorpion munching & crunching on a miller moth

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Also, I can hear very quiet sounds just fine ... within a certain range anyway. As a small child, like 7 years old, I used to hear the pitched whine from the tubes in our old TV. Now I still hear that sound, but there's no TV anymore to blame for it.
    That perfectly describes mine as well. I always hear "electronics" whether there are any around or not. Overall my hearing is still above normal and the ringing doesn't effect me hearing other quiet sounds.

Sock Puppet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    That perfectly describes mine as well. I always hear "electronics" whether there are any around or not. Overall my hearing is still above normal and the ringing doesn't effect me hearing other quiet sounds.

Hmmm, mine's the same way. Must be more common than I thought. My hearing is generally good enough to hear quiet sounds, but here the ringing. I do have difficulty hearing in crowds though. It's like I'm overwhelmed with sound.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW

The only time it has actually affected me was a couple of weeks ago when I was in San Antonio to install a couple of servers, and behind their rack was a huge snakes' nest of cables and wires and I knocked out one of the power cables. Power supply alarm goes EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! and I had a dickens of a time locating it. Turning my head this way and that didn't help because then it went away.

txtanut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    fort worth
    I have had it for years but one thing I notice is when my bp is up it is worse. I too have significant hearing loss and was just told not much can be done. I heed hearing aids also just hate to admit I am old :(

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I have had it for years but one thing I notice is when my bp is up it is worse. I too have significant hearing loss and was just told not much can be done. I heed hearing aids also just hate to admit I am old :(

I've had it for years, a build up from living and working around jets, sleeping next to generators, shooting way too much without proper (any) hearing pro, etc.

The more stressed I am, the higher the noise. Mine sounds just like the tones heard during a hearing test, when they stick you in the quiet room. Sometimes they are high, sometimes lower, but pretty much always on.

But I can tell you that I found a way to drastically tone them down and I've actually almost eliminated them for periods of time. But as this is a Texas gun forum, it won't be popular...LOL!

No, it's not "stop shooting"...(okay, stop shooting without proper hearing pro). How I reduce mine is by what I eat (or more specifically, what I stop eating).

When I cut out animal proteins, refined carbs, and most processed foods, I really feel great, and not only does tinnitus chill out drastically, my joints pain, sleeping issues, and gut problems pretty much go away.

It ain't easy...and I find myself falling off the wagon over and over (Hey, I love eating tasty critters), but when I get on and ride it for a while, things in my 56 year old carcass definitely improve. And no...I'm NOT a "Vegan".

If you are curious, the term you want to "google" is "whole food plant based diet". It's not really a diet as much as it's a way of eating.

Here are a couple places to start looking:

https://nutritionstudies.org/whole-food-plant-based-diet-guide/

https://www.forksoverknives.com/what-to-eat/#gs.8Tk8mkI

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/plant-based-diet-guide

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    To those who've said 'SHUT UP ABOUT IT' I did, several days ago. :p

The nearest train track is 7 miles as the crow flies and this morning I not only heard the horn & locomotive engine but also the wheels clacking. I'm not deef, just disabled. :mad:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Last night the massive fireworks set off at midnite in my neighborhood triggered something with the tinnitus. It got so bad, it was louder than the TV. I actually had to force my sister to raise her voice so I could understand her.

It's back to normal, always-irritating-in-the-background levels this morning.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    You guys might laugh, but when mine gets bad, I put an internal headphone into whichever ear it is, and listen to music or watch a few YouTube videos, with the volume high enough to overcome the ringing whine. After a little bit, my ear seems to “reset” and be fine for a few days.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Doc told me several years ago I had the hearing a grandfather. He said he had old men with better hearing. He then asked about my MOS and I told him and he asked about hearing protection. I told him I always wore ear plugs under my headset around the plane. He then mentioned that some people are more prone to hearing loss, not sure I believe that though.

Had to go to West Point for a more detailed hearing test after failing the one at the squadron. My wife went with me that day and went up to the appointment with me. After the test the lady was going over the results and told us about the higher frequencies and the ranges I had problems with. I then turned to my wife and told her it wasn’t my fault I could hear/understand her. I had a big grin when I said it, she didn’t think it was nearly as funny as I did.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    I am with Buzzin. Jets, open headers, shooting with no protection, rock concerts etc.

Yep I resemble this remark. 37 years of drilling rigs, Race cars, Loud Rock & Roll, ect...... I actually wondered how many others suffered from the constant ringing? Sounds like most of us do?

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Our brains are wonderfully adaptable. There is an internal mechanism which minimizes any constant or repetitive external stimulus for us, so that we can better notice our environments.
    As a youngster, I often fished offshore oil rig platforms, which have mandatory very loud fog horns, similar to a ship's horn, train horn, or mill whistle. After first arriving, the loud repetitive noise is very disconcerting; but after a few hours one doesn't notice it unless attention is called to it.
    As a Med School Prof in a Neurological sub-specialty, I have never encountered any effective "treatment", despite many, many claims.
    Yes, I too, have TINNITUS, from years of dove shoots and running airplane engines.
    leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Doc told me several years ago I had the hearing a grandfather. He said he had old men with better hearing. He then asked about my MOS and I told him and he asked about hearing protection. I told him I always wore ear plugs under my headset around the plane. He then mentioned that some people are more prone to hearing loss, not sure I believe that though.

Had to go to West Point for a more detailed hearing test after failing the one at the squadron. My wife went with me that day and went up to the appointment with me. After the test the lady was going over the results and told us about the higher frequencies and the ranges I had problems with. I then turned to my wife and told her it wasn’t my fault I could hear/understand her. I had a big grin when I said it, she didn’t think it was nearly as funny as I did.

Boy Howdy; how I can relate to that ! What I have never understood is how I can understand everything Wife says to a third party, but not what she says to me. Seriously.
    leVieux

txtanut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    fort worth
    Boy Howdy; how I can relate to that ! What I have never understood is how I can understand everything Wife says to a third party, but not what she says to me. Seriously.
    leVieux

that is a different problem called "selective hearing" which ONLY affects married men and children.

Top Bottom