DK Firearms

Tinnitus . . . how are you dealing with it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Here's a question, because it seems everyone perceives it differently. Does yours affect the lower limits of what is audible? Meaning, just because the tinnitus is loud, does it overpower sounds that you know are quieter? I have a constant pitch that varies in amplitude, but I can still plain as day pick up on real sounds that are FAR quieter. Honestly I can deal with this pretty easily, the ones that actually force me to take notice is when they get really loud in a single ear, usually with a different pitch, and accompanied by a marked decrease in real hearing sensitivity. Thankfully it's very infrequent, only lasts a handful of seconds and goes away quickly.

I won't say that it overpowers the other noises or sounds. I will say that it might alter my interpretation of whatever sound it was. Particularly in the higher pitched, squeal type sounds. Kinda like a sound that matches, or comes close to the same frequency as my constant companion.

I will add this for what it's worth. During my most recent hearing test, while sitting in the box with the headphones on, and only my breathing and heartbeat for sound(s), the constant noise in my ears/head shut off after a few minutes. Maybe it was the fact that I was trying to concentrate on listening for the sounds to come or the fact that there wasn't any electronic frequency type noise to aggravate it. Either way and for whatever reason it was, it was Wonderful
    Guns International

Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I have much difficulty figuring out what my grandkids say.
    Their high voices and quick talking sound like just a high note, lol.

There is an annoying component in the voice of some young American females I keep noticing. Plenty don't exhibit it, but there are enough that do that it can't be just me that notices it?

Seems to be compounded by the Valley girl up-speak habit ... something in food chain? ;)

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I've been dealing with it for over 40 yrs., heavy construction, gunfire in the army, etc. It doesn't go away. Most folks (friends and relatives) want me to get it fixed 'cause they don't like having to repeat something. It's MY issue, why should they have to? I tell them it's up to them. Do they want me to hear what they say or not. It's not fixable (as we know). Oh well. Huh?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    There is an annoying component in the voice of some young American females I keep noticing. Plenty don't exhibit it, but there are enough that do that it can't be just me that notices it?

Seems to be compounded by the Valley girl up-speak habit ... something in food chain? ;)
    Well, to be fair, I'm talking 6 and 8 years old.

They haven't hit that......yet.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    YES. DON'T PHUUCKING TALK ABOUT IT!!
    I searched for and found a thread on the subject, no reason to start a new one. I wasn't trying to yank anyone's chain but, I am struggling with tinnitus and can relate to Ben's post #79.

Fleeting thoughts to be sure but sometimes the ringing is that bad,

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill

Well, to be fair, I'm talking 6 and 8 years old.

They haven't hit that......yet.
    Yes! It's described (by me) as sounding like a chipmunk on Helium. It's ok, acceptable & expected in the voice of a 6-8 year old girl (maybe even into early teen age) but come on - a grown woman?

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    I am retired from teaching college, but the last few years I finally had to get HAs because I was having trouble understanding my female students.

I still can't understand my granddaughters, even with HAs.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I am retired from teaching college, but the last few years I finally had to get HAs because I was having trouble understanding my female students.

I still can't understand my granddaughters, even with HAs.
    There's a cute 3-4 year old next door. We greet each other with "Hi neighbor" - and that's fun but then she starts a conversation & I just nod my head & smile.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I searched for and found a thread on the subject, no reason to start a new one. I wasn't trying to yank anyone's chain but, I am struggling with tinnitus and can relate to Ben's post #79.

Fleeting thoughts to be sure but sometimes the ringing is that bad,

I can sympathize and empathize with looking for ideas and tips on coping/dealing with it. And I didn't think you were doing any more than just that. For me, and quite a few others I know, just the mere mention of the word Tinnitus, brings it on full force. And then I, you, they, them, are dealing with that annoying lil' companion again until it subsides for a while. IF it ever does. And lucky for me, it will, sorta', after a time.

Thinking on it, one of the few things that actually helps me, is if I singularly focus on a project or task. When I'm sitting in front of my computer, focusing and working through a design or drawing, it tends to not be so pronounced as it would at most any other time during the day. Unfortunately, now that I'm not doing design and drafting work on a regular basis anymore, I just have to do my best not to think about that annoyance as best as I can.

And try to avoid seeing or hearing that word. :D

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW

Look up "vocal fry". That's the one you're talking about. Everything sounds like it's a question? And the voice is squished, high pitched and warbling?

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Also, I can hear very quiet sounds just fine ... within a certain range anyway. As a small child, like 7 years old, I used to hear the pitched whine from the tubes in our old TV. Now I still hear that sound, but there's no TV anymore to blame for it.
    And it's not so much that can't hear stuff, it's when many different sounds come together, it's all a mush. Wife running the sink, clattering with dishes, turning her head away and muttering something under her breath? Yeah not a chance, LOL.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Also, I can hear very quiet sounds just fine ... within a certain range anyway. As a small child, like 7 years old, I used to hear the pitched whine from the tubes in our old TV. Now I still hear that sound, but there's no TV anymore to blame for it.
    And it's not so much that can't hear stuff, it's when many different sounds come together, it's all a mush. Wife running the sink, clattering with dishes, turning her head away and muttering something under her breath? Yeah not a chance, LOL.

Mine sounds exactly like a combination of cicadas and tree frogs in the bayou at night.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Look up "vocal fry". That's the one you're talking about. Everything sounds like it's a question? And the voice is squished, high pitched and warbling?

Close. It's a frequency thing that's evident throughout the sentences in the "vocal fry" examples, but without the exaggerated end, a la Kim Kardashian.

IOW, those who exhibit it all sound alike with "normal" speech, as if their voices are cloned?

Might be just me ...

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I hear crickets constantly.
    Except when my wife hears crickets.
    I can't hear the ones she hears.

Top Bottom