Tired Of Doom & Gloom Sermons

okie556

Well-Known
Feb 12, 2009
Longview, TX
I don't want to start a discussion about religion or what church/denominaiton is best etc......to each his/her own beliefs. But, I would like to know if anyone's pastor (besides mine) is stuck on doom & gloom. Every Sunday it's the same thing.....30-40 minutes on government bashing, talking about how bad our economy is, how we should all get out of debt, store up a year supply of food & water. Buy gold and silver because our dollar is going to be worthless and then one Sunday even started talking about concentration camps here in Texas and other states that the government has set up. Then he complete his message with some scripture from the bible. My wife and I get up in a good mood, go to church and then come out all down and mad.

I know this world's in a mess but I don't go to church to hear all the internet gossip. Too many contradictions.......why pay off bills if money is not going to be any good.......or the world is going to collaspe. Why not buy all the toys you have ever wanted now and enjoy them? Why store food and water? If the world's coming to an end or we're all going to concentration camps.....we won't need food or water.

Just wondering what you are hearing out there!

Oh and just a note on concentration camps........Will die in my front yard and take a bunch with me if anyone comes for me or my family.

Okie556

okie556

Well-Known
Feb 12, 2009
Longview, TX
Have you talked to your pastor about it? I certainly would.
Yes.........I talked to him as did several others but it did no good. This man has been a preacher and ex-school teacher for over 50 years and I love to hear him preach and teach out of the bible. He just got his first computer about a year ago and started surfing the web and it has chnaged his whole approach to preaching. This is a non-denominational church which no board, no deacons........no one getting paid.......including pastor so he just says what he wants. He makes it well known.....if you don't like what he is preaching.....leave! That's what my wife and I had to do and it's such a shame. We loved everyone at the church, including the pastor, but just can't keep going back week after week and feel beat down when you leave.

Okie556

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
TGT Supporter
Admin
Feb 21, 2008
Austin, TX
A co-worker at my previous job told me something that I think is good for everyone to remember at one time or another. Throughout the history of the world, no matter what point in time a person may have lived, there is always a lot of negative and unpleasant things out there in the world. If you look for it and focus on it, there is a lot of unpleasant stuff out there that will really bring your emotions down. The trick is realizing this stuff is out there, but not letting it get to you and not focusing all of your energy on it. No matter how hard you look, there will always be (for most of our lifetimes probably) bad stuff out there. Just don't let it run your life.

okie556

Well-Known
Feb 12, 2009
Longview, TX
Sounds like you did the right thing in leaving. I'm a Pastor, and I don't see the world that way. When in doubt, read the back of the Book. We win...

A co-worker at my previous job told me something that I think is good for everyone to remember at one time or another. Throughout the history of the world, no matter what point in time a person may have lived, there is always a lot of negative and unpleasant things out there in the world. If you look for it and focus on it, there is a lot of unpleasant stuff out there that will really bring your emotions down. The trick is realizing this stuff is out there, but not letting it get to you and not focusing all of your energy on it. No matter how hard you look, there will always be (for most of our lifetimes probably) bad stuff out there. Just don't let it run your life.
Thanks guys..........it's funny how great minds think alike. We had the same though about "WE WIN" and how we know things are bad but rather than dwell on the bad........we going to pray for something good to happen.

Top Bottom