• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    It's not unusual for a cop to ask "do you have any weapons in the car" when they pull you over. Common courtesy would be not to make the cop play a guessing game. You're not "surrendering a Constitutional right" by letting the cop know you're armed rather than letting him be surprised.

And I've been asked for ID as a passenger at a traffic stop on two occasions - it happens.
    ARJ Defense ad

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I feel like providing more information than the law requires is just the same as doing a Bill of sale. Do what you want, but doing something that is not required by law only contributes to more government over reach. :popcorn:

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    It's not unusual for a cop to ask "do you have any weapons in the car" when they pull you over. Common courtesy would be not to make the cop play a guessing game. You're not "surrendering a Constitutional right" by letting the cop know you're armed rather than letting him be surprised.

And I've been asked for ID as a passenger at a traffic stop on two occasions - it happens.
    They can ask the driver about weapons in the car because the driver has committed a "crime" but passengers on a traffic stop have no obligation to provide info. How about next the cop says "do you mind if I search your car?". There is no law against volunteering information not legally required but not smart.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    They can ask the driver about weapons in the car because the driver has committed a "crime" but passengers on a traffic stop have no obligation to provide info. How about next the cop says "do you mind if I search your car?". There is no law against volunteering information not legally required but not smart.

If you're in the car and they've stopped the car, they can ask you for ID and you're obligated to provide. Go ahead and test this next time you have an opportunity. I'll be interested to hear your experience.

"Do you mind if I search your car" is nowhere near "can I see your ID". You sound like one of those guys who cracks his window an inch and answers everything the cop says with "Am I being detained?"

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    No you are not.

Operators of motor vehicles are required to identify, NOT the passengers, unless the passengers are accused of violating a law in the state of Texas.

Ah, the "I'll Google it for an answer" method.

If you are "lawfully detained" in Texas you have to provide ID if asked. Where, exactly, is the line between being a passenger in the car whose driver is lawfully detained and being lawfully detained yourself? Seems rather subjective and up to the discretion of the police officer.

Go ahead and argue with the cop about this one on the roadside and let me know how it goes.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Go ahead and argue with the cop about this one on the roadside and let me know how it goes.
    Why would I argue with the cop when I could just STFU and let whatever happens happen? Only 2 things can happen. 1. Nothing. 2. Cop gets pissy that you won't allow them to violate a right of yours and he goes on to violate more of your rights. Then lawsuit.

As a passenger just riding in a vehicle you have not committed a crime.

I liked your Google comment though that was really cute.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    If I were the passenger and nothing was going on to where I was having any real interaction with the officer then I wouldn’t worry about it unless my gun was in the console or glove box or other area that the driver may be reaching into.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I liked your Google comment though that was really cute.

Well, considering it's the suggested result (word for word, including capitalization for emphasis, too) that comes up when you google the question...I found it fitting.

So you're saying when the cop gets the drivers' DL, then turns his attention to you and says "Sir, I'm going to need to ask for your ID also", you're just going to sit there stone cold and silent?

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    So you're saying when the cop gets the drivers' DL, then turns his attention to you and says "Sir, I'm going to need to ask for your ID also", you're just going to sit there stone cold and silent?
    No, of course not. I'm going to ask him why first. Then, depending on the response I'll either just stop answering questions from there or inform them/they/it that I will exercise my right to refuse to speak, and then stop answer questions. Then let whatever happens happen. I will not escalate it further. I'll settle it out in court later, not on the side of the road where more charges can be trumped up.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Section 411.205 of the Texas Government Code
    REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display:
    (1) both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license; and
    (2) if the license holder's handgun license bears a protective order designation, a copy of the applicable court order under which the license holder is protected.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 10.01(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1997. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 62, Sec. 9.17(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1999.
    Amended by:
    Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1146 (H.B. 2730), Sec. 12A.02, eff. September 1, 2009.
    Acts 2021, 87th Leg., R.S., Ch. 203 (H.B. 918), Sec. 4, eff. September 1, 2021.

So only if a peace officer demands identification...

Top Bottom