• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russell B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Plano
    So today I was on my way to pick up a check (always a good thing), when I was stopped by Farmer's Branch PD.
    I was at a light and saw the PD had a motorcycle stopped in a church parking lot just up the street. The light turns green and as I pull away, the PD walks out in the street and points at my truck and motions me into the church lot. I have no idea why he's stopping me.
    He walks up and I have my DL and permit out the window. He says "You know both of those lanes are turn only..." Oops! He studies the permit, then hands it back and says "You can keep this." Takes my DL back to his car, returns a few minutes later and says "Since you have a clean driving record, we're going to give you a break today." I say thanks and drive away. Never asked for registration/insurance info or about the weapon. Once he saw the permit, it was all good.
    Lynx Defense

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    My friend,

So today I was on my way to pick up a check (always a good thing), when I was stopped by Farmer's Branch PD.
    I was at a light and saw the PD had a motorcycle stopped in a church parking lot just up the street. The light turns green and as I pull away, the PD walks out in the street and points at my truck and motions me into the church lot. I have no idea why he's stopping me.
    He walks up and I have my DL and permit out the window. He says "You know both of those lanes are turn only..." Oops! He studies the permit, then hands it back and says "You can keep this." Takes my DL back to his car, returns a few minutes later and says "Since you have a clean driving record, we're going to give you a break today." I say thanks and drive away. Never asked for registration/insurance info or about the weapon. Once he saw the permit, it was all good.

This LEO appears to be a member of the 99%, which is good. I thank you for showing both your DL of course, and your CHL, without having to be asked by the LEO. Great job. We should do all we can to reduce that 1% by being respectful, which evidently you were.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    I had an encounter too. Nothing happened other than a polite exchange of information. He verified who I was and that I had insurance (just like in AZ) and I received a warning to slow it down. He couldn't have been more professional or polite.

proforguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Pipe Creek
    I had a flat on my truck last night after comming back from Academy with my wifes new shotgun and a cop stopped.I handed him my DL & CHL he said "you got it" I said "yes sir" he said "on you" ,"yes sir" "keep it there" ,"yes sir".He then left and another officer showed up to keep us from getting hit.We then started talking about tactical flashlights and belive it or not different types of shooting techniques.Man I love TEXAS

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I know those officers would be glad to hear something nice being said about them. Most are out there trying to do a good job that many times goes unappreciated. Its hard to always maintain that positive attitude when most everything you hear about cops is negative.
    A hats off to those that encounter police and are respectful and polite...that goes further than most folks will ever know.

chiefglocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Texas
    Once I got a ticket for speeding not long ago. When LEO handed me the ticket I said thank you officer with a smile. There was a puzzled look on his face. He wanted to say drive slow ahead
    but he literally stuttered. I know most of the time people get mad when get ticket and probably show some gesture of being upset inconspicuously. So the LEOs mentally get prepared
    for such a situation but when you act just the opposite they get thrown off of their feet.

If you do not believe me try next time.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    I had a flat on my truck last night after comming back from Academy with my wifes new shotgun and a cop stopped.I handed him my DL & CHL he said "you got it" I said "yes sir" he said "on you" ,"yes sir" "keep it there" ,"yes sir".He then left and another officer showed up to keep us from getting hit.We then started talking about tactical flashlights and belive it or not different types of shooting techniques.Man I love TEXAS

I found "keep it there" somewhat perplexing since what were you going to do? Take it out of the holster while a LEO has you on a traffic stop!!! I am sure you didn't need to be told by the LEO to keep it in the holster...LOL.

Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    I found "keep it there" somewhat perplexing since what were you going to do? Take it out of the holster while a LEO has you on a traffic stop!!! I am sure you didn't need to be told by the LEO to keep it in the holster...LOL.

Safety first and liabilities though ya know? I tell people not to go skydiving off my stretcher when I'm loading em up. I don't think most of em will but if they do then I can say "I told him not to, ain't my fault". It just keeps it fresh jn thier minds of what NOT to do....even though they may have never had those intentions to begin with.

JSDinTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2009
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Guess there's no way, but I would like to know how many LEOs in Texas are for or against CC . I work with a few of them and for the most part they are for it, but I always hear of the LEO giving the CC a hard time. I think this may be due to CCs appearance or the specific circumstance. Just curious.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Maybe when officers ask if your armed people just whip it out to show them.That would make me nervous.

You'd be surprised what people do in situations like that. It would not surprise me for a person to attempt to display his weapon just out of nervousness. You also just never know what people will do, especially those you don't know.

I AM surprised that it only took to today for someone to try to turn this negative (not you, proforguns). I had my money on Monday.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Guess there's no way, but I would like to know how many LEOs in Texas are for or against CC . I work with a few of them and for the most part they are for it, but I always hear of the LEO giving the CC a hard time. I think this may be due to CCs appearance or the specific circumstance. Just curious.

That is a fair question. Since my father was in LE, both with the Texa DPD and Dallas County SO, and I was a cop for a decade and I am a TCLEOSE instructor I know a LOT of cops,. I am friends with locals, SOs, and Feds. Not one is against your right to carry. Even the ones I am just casually acquainted with are for your right to carry.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx

In Texas, there is what is often called the 1%ers (i.e., those LEOs who do not like civilians carrying concealed). As for those 1%ers, they need to make sure they know "conceal carry laws" when they confront me. The 99%ers like the fact we have law abiding "civilians" which are armed.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Your best bet is to politely ask him to call in a supervisor, because you "Don't want to have a simple misunderstanding escalate into a court case." I've used that phrase (or similar to it) several times over the years, and always to my benefit. Sometimes the officer may NOT know the law. Yeah - you MIGHT beat the rap - but you will NOT beat the ride, booking OR legal fees.

But do as ya will.....

JSDinTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2009
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Your best bet is to politely ask him to call in a supervisor, because you "Don't want to have a simple misunderstanding escalate into a court case." I've used that phrase (or similar to it) several times over the years, and always to my benefit. Sometimes the officer may NOT know the law. Yeah - you MIGHT beat the rap - but you will NOT beat the ride, booking OR legal fees.

But do as ya will.....

Yeah, good info - bottom line is every stop has its own elements, but since I have been stopped once in the last 20 years, I don't worry about it. I'm old and don't go out at night very much - all in all a pretty dull life, ha.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    JSD, wait 'til you're stopped by a Parish cop in LA who acts all upset when you answer affirmative to whether you're carrying, and gets REALLY bent outta shape when he finds out you're carrying THREE pistols. It got a bit interesting for a bit, but cooled down when I suggested we call his supervisor out to discuss whether there was a "limit" as to how many firearms I could carry.<evil grin>

Top Bottom