• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    now - go take that monumental chip on your shoulder and push it onto someone else - i'm done talking with you, on this or any other subject. You're so damned confrontational that it's sickening - while i value and appreciate your knowledge, your attitude simply isn't worth it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

lol!!!!!!!!!!!
    Capitol Armory ad

Russell B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Plano
    I started this thread to share my experience with LEO a few weeks ago....lots of enthusiasm/testosterone on this forum! It's great reading...

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    That is a fair question. Since my father was in LE, both with the Texa DPD and Dallas County SO, and I was a cop for a decade and I am a TCLEOSE instructor I know a LOT of cops,. I am friends with locals, SOs, and Feds. Not one is against your right to carry. Even the ones I am just casually acquainted with are for your right to carry.
    I never met a Texas officer who was against CC. I talked to some in NYC who couldnt believe we were all comfortable with it....perspective

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    As far as I know, they're the only ones I've ever heard of. But rare is the officer that receives a politely-worded request to do so that I've encountered that refused to.

As to Texas LEO's being anti-CC....I actually knew one, he was COP of a small town. We were friends, and I was surprised when he said he was opposed to it when first proposed. We spent many a weekend hunting at the ranch, and discussing it over the poker table. Ultimately, he came to understand my (and others') point of view, and ultimately supported CC. He had concerns (as did many others early on) that he came to realize were pointless given that many crooks already routinely carried (he KNEW that, but really just hadn't thought things through). A really GREAT guy, he passed on several years back - he was always ready to discuss/debate, and never got carried away with rhetoric.

Harley Rider 55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Guess there's no way, but I would like to know how many LEOs in Texas are for or against CC . I work with a few of them and for the most part they are for it, but I always hear of the LEO giving the CC a hard time. I think this may be due to CCs appearance or the specific circumstance. Just curious.

I don't care whether they like it or not. They chose the job, now deal with it. It's not like they were drafted.

codeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    TX
    I got pulled over for the first time after getting my CHL just last month. I did everything they taught me in class. The officer asked me where it was and I told him I had one in my boot and another in the center console. He told me not to reach for them and keep my hands on the steering wheel. He was polite and relaxed and even made a positive comment about my NRA window sticker. He still wrote me a speeding ticket but he knocked a few mph off and saved me about $20.
    Over all a good experience except for the ticket. Unfortunately I deserved it.

DRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    I have had the same experiences as the original poster...

I give them both cards as a show of good faith more than anything I guess.

Been good so far.

They ask me where it is, I tell them, and thats that.

blariviere

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I love hearing about these great experiences. It seems that LEO's are portrayed in such a negative light most of the time on news and in papers. Most of the LEO's I have dealt with are great.

dogdollar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    I was in Louisiana a few years ago, and I was going to combine some business with some pleasure, as a friend of mine there had asked me to go shooting with him while I was visiting. So...I had brought along several weapons besides my every day carry.
    Anyway, I was exiting the interstate and there was a Louisiana State Trooper checking for seat belts. He spotted me immediately (Guilty!!) and waived me over. After a few minutes, he walked over with his ticket book and asked if I knew why he had pulled me over. I said yes, probably because I didn't have my seat belt on. Then I handed him my license, CHL, and insurance. He looked at the CHL for a minute, then looked up and asked me if I was carrying any weapons.
    "Well", I said, I have a 1911 on my left hip, a Glock 23 with three extra mags in the console, and there are two AK-47's, a Noveske N4 carbine, and a Remington 870 shotgun in the trunk."
    He remained expressionless for a minute, still studying the CHL and license. Then, he said:
    "Expecting some trouble, Mr. XXXX ?"
    At that point I could not contain myself and busted out laughing, and explained to him about going shooting, and that the place I was staying had a bunch of kids in the house, and I felt better keeping the guns locked in my trunk.
    Finally, he laughed, too, and returned all of my documents. He warned me that if he saw me again with no seat belt, he would give me a ticket. And with that, he told me to drive safe, and I told him to be careful, and we parted ways.
    DD

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    99.9% of the time, the officer will reflect the mannerisms of those he stops. If you're polite and well-mannered, affable and friendly - he'll be the same. In fact, they'll usually be 1-2 levels "above" what you reflect. I've seen some real jerks on stops that you just deal with and move on (they always seem to think that you should've stopped the OTHER guy)....but I can also promise you that if you REALLY wanna get in a pissin' contest with a feller carryin' a badge, gun and ticket book - well, you kinda deserve what you git.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    99.9% of the time, the officer will reflect the mannerisms of those he stops. If you're polite and well-mannered, affable and friendly - he'll be the same. In fact, they'll usually be 1-2 levels "above" what you reflect. I've seen some real jerks on stops that you just deal with and move on (they always seem to think that you should've stopped the OTHER guy)....but I can also promise you that if you REALLY wanna get in a pissin' contest with a feller carryin' a badge, gun and ticket book - well, you kinda deserve what you git.
    +1

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I was in Louisiana a few years ago, and I was going to combine some business with some pleasure, as a friend of mine there had asked me to go shooting with him while I was visiting. So...I had brought along several weapons besides my every day carry.
    Anyway, I was exiting the interstate and there was a Louisiana State Trooper checking for seat belts. He spotted me immediately (Guilty!!) and waived me over. After a few minutes, he walked over with his ticket book and asked if I knew why he had pulled me over. I said yes, probably because I didn't have my seat belt on. Then I handed him my license, CHL, and insurance. He looked at the CHL for a minute, then looked up and asked me if I was carrying any weapons.
    "Well", I said, I have a 1911 on my left hip, a Glock 23 with three extra mags in the console, and there are two AK-47's, a Noveske N4 carbine, and a Remington 870 shotgun in the trunk."
    He remained expressionless for a minute, still studying the CHL and license. Then, he said:
    "Expecting some trouble, Mr. XXXX ?"
    At that point I could not contain myself and busted out laughing, and explained to him about going shooting, and that the place I was staying had a bunch of kids in the house, and I felt better keeping the guns locked in my trunk.
    Finally, he laughed, too, and returned all of my documents. He warned me that if he saw me again with no seat belt, he would give me a ticket. And with that, he told me to drive safe, and I told him to be careful, and we parted ways.
    DD

Thats funny.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    Never had any real trouble. Had my license since they first started issuing them. Usually the LEO justs asks where it is, and not to reach for it. Which I always find humorous, but I guess some idiots out there would just to show their shiny toy off. My favorite question is "Is it loaded?" No, I always carry unloaded weapons around. Only encounter I found interesting was getting stopped in Louisiana by a State Trooper. Being out of state I figured he would give me a harder time. Met him at the tailgate and handed him my drivers license and CHL. He looked at the CHL and handed it back to me, never asked where my gun was.

Tom Miller

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Austin
    I know of four friends who have been pulled over within the last year for minor traffic violations. After handing the officer their DL & CHL, they were all told to slow down / remember to signal / etc, and then told "Have a nice day".

somedudefromhouston

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    houston
    On my ride to work this AM a Ford had been following a bit closer than I like and wouldnt pass me, so in a curvy section I put a little distance on him, only going 68/60 when the DPS car came around the bend from the other direction. Brakes lights on he made a u turn and closed the gap,only then I got the radar warning.
    2 troopers in the car, one a Sgt came to talk to me, the young guy went to the Ford. After the usual pleasantries, I handed him my DL and CHL, he asked if and waht I was carrying, asjed why for about the speed, then he told me its all on computer now and it would only take a minute to issue a warning.
    Nice guy, told me about his bike and latest ride , the number of stolen bike sin the area, hazards etc. Kinda the way I hoped it would be. First time showing CHL on the side f the road, all good.

Top Bottom