• ...and so much more!
  • kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Maybe slightly off topic, but I hear you MK. I was on here for quite a while without my CHL - I really didn't feel the need. But too many of these type of situations come up, time after time. Being a good Boy Scout I thought "Be Prepared" was the sensible thing. The thing that really tipped the scale was my decision to pull the trigger if the time came.
    and that's the most important thing right there, make up your mind. If you balk you die,
    DK Firearms

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    This is slightly off topic, but I left my garage door up and door between my garage and home unlocked for the better part of a day about a month ago while my wife, daughter, and I were out running errands. My wife's car was in the garage and there was an old Xbox 360 sitting on top. We had a $2000 bike in the garage, too, along with tools, etc. Inside was my safe filled with guns.

I felt like such an idiot, and half expected to find the place cleaned out and a hobo sleeping in my bed. But, nothing was disturbed. Want to guess where this was?

The Heights!!! Ah ha ha ha ha!!!! The crime has moved to the suburbs and the city is the safe place to be!

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    This is slightly off topic, but I left my garage door up and door between my garage and home unlocked for the better part of a day about a month ago while my wife, daughter, and I were out running errands. My wife's car was in the garage and there was an old Xbox 360 sitting on top. We had a $2000 bike in the garage, too, along with tools, etc. Inside was my safe filled with guns.

I felt like such an idiot, and half expected to find the place cleaned out and a hobo sleeping in my bed. But, nothing was disturbed. Want to guess where this was?

The Heights!!! Ah ha ha ha ha!!!! The crime has moved to the suburbs and the city is the safe place to be!
    you got lucky my man

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

LOL.

Owned a home on Columbia, just North of 20th, in the 70's through the 80's.

The Heights was mostly peace loving hippies and musicians at the beginning, and tipped the scale to largely hispanic by the time we got out of Dodge in 1989 (HISD demographic records showed the local elementary school as approximately 78% hispanic, remainder - white (12%), black, asian, in that order).

When we moved:

Neighbors behind were a family of thieves, notorious for repeated thefts from the same houses in the 'hood.
    Neighbor two doors down was shot and killed washing his car on the driveway, in front of his kids, on a Saturday morning.
    Next door neighbor routinely had bullet holes through his house from drive-bys.
    Neighbor across the street was a registered child molester.
    Neighbor next door was a Houston City Councilman (liberal politician) ... probably the worst of the bunch.

My home was left alone because we had a large, mean ass dog, "Roland" (who was born prejudiced, all by himself) and a state-of-the-art alarm system.

(We moved shortly after Roland died (we still get his mail to this day (phone was in his name ... long story)))

I really enjoyed the Heights at the beginning, but, with a three year old daughter at the time, was glad to move.

Did a remodel on a home one street over on Oxford early last year, and did note a move back toward middle ground, with lots of young singles of all ethnic groups moving back, just like the early 70's.

Glad to hear it's gotten better, crimewise.

Pendulums swing like pendulums do...

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Wife wanted to go to the Home Goods store in the same center as that CVS yesterday. I stayed in the car with the kids (choose your suffering wisely, right?). Still alive lol. I did see a couple security guards walking around that I don't remember seeing before.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    LOL.

Funny, when I moved to Houston in 1989, I lived on Columbia just north of 14th. It didn't take me long to figure out that it wasn't a good area to start a family...moved to Katy after just one year.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    LOL.

The Heights was mostly peace loving hippies and musicians at the beginning, and tipped the scale to largely hispanic by the time we got out of Dodge in 1989 (HISD demographic records showed the local elementary school as approximately 78% hispanic, remainder - white (12%), black, asian, in that order).

When we moved:

Neighbors behind were a family of thieves, notorious for repeated thefts from the same houses in the 'hood.
    Neighbor two doors down was shot and killed washing his car on the driveway, in front of his kids, on a Saturday morning.
    Next door neighbor routinely had bullet holes through his house from drive-bys.
    Neighbor across the street was a registered child molester.
    Neighbor next door was a Houston City Councilman (liberal politician) ... probably the worst of the bunch.

My home was left alone because we had a large, mean ass dog, "Roland" (who was born prejudiced, all by himself) and a state-of-the-art alarm system.

(We moved shortly after Roland died (we still get his mail to this day (phone was in his name ... long story)))

I really enjoyed the Heights at the beginning, but, with a three year old daughter at the time, was glad to move.

Did a remodel on a home one street over on Oxford early last year, and did note a move back toward middle ground, with lots of young singles of all ethnic groups moving back, just like the early 70's.

Glad to hear it's gotten better, crimewise.

Pendulums swing like pendulums do...

I was reading absentmindedly until I arrived at the portion in bold.

This story must be told.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I was reading absentmindedly until I arrived at the portion in bold.

This story must be told.

ASCII and ye shall receive:

At the time I owned a recording studio in Houston, which was situated in my house in the Heights, aptly named Heights Sound Studio. Being single at the time, much of the house, as well as the entire 3 car garage/apartment was wired as one big recording studio.

The house also did duty as a way station for many road bands playing in Houston in those days.

Having toured with Linda, and playing bass in her band at the time, when she decided to do another album I offered to engineer/produce it. So, she came to Houston to record and, as many of the studio's clients did in those days, stayed at the house while working on the album.

But, in her case, she never left. AAMOF, she's upstairs playing guitar as I write this, 35 years later.

Linda's constant companion/bodyguard on the road was a Golden Retreiver/Irish Setter mix, named "Roland" - and the sole reason her band's equipment could be left in any van/venue, without fear of theft.

(Once flew to a gig somewhere in Mid-America, and a band member picked me up at the airport on the way to the venue. Roland, knowing damned well they'd left me back in Houston, and that I couldn't possibly be where he was at the moment, would not let me into my own sound equipment truck, which he was guarding in the parking lot).

When it became obvious she wasn't about to leave, Linda, who did a lot of concert and gig bookings, needed her own phone line. She chose not to have the phone unlisted, but being somewhat in the public eye at the time, didn't want it in her name, so, and as somewhat of an inside joke, she used Roland's, along with her last name, and the studio's address.

Yes, even the likes of Yoko Ono had Roland "The Wonder Dog"'s phone number in her address book ... no joke.

Thence forward Roland immediately started receiving mail and phone solicitations. In the intervening 35 years, and through three address changes, Roland still receives phone calls asking for him, by name; tons of credit card offers, and even calls from politicians seeking his vote.

Latest mail was yesterday - an offer from Frost Bank to open "The Personal Checking Account That Keeps Getting Better". He also got a recorded message this week from "Internal Revenue Services" threatening to sue him.

Roland passed away, from an allergic reaction to a rabies booster around '88, but lives on in the junkmail/robocaller's databases. By the number of "pre-approved" credit card offers, he undoubtedly has an excellent credit score; and, judging by the amount of calls he gets, it's a pretty good bet NSA has a file on him.

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    Troy E. Nehls, Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office AGENCY
    Please see press release just sent out.
    Thank you all for your patience.
    Sheriff Nehls
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PRESS RELEASE
    Fort Bend County Sheriff’s Office
    Sheriff Troy E. Nehls Monday, June 15, 2015
    Bob Haenel, Spokesperson
    Office: 281-341-4638
    Two Houston men arrested in Murder case
    Two Houston men face charges of Murder in the death of a Katy-area woman on May 28.
    The suspects are Christian Williams, 18, and Robert Dike, 23. They are charged with the murder of Stephanie Pena in an incident that occurred on May 28 in a shopping center located in the 3000 block of State Highway 99.
    At 8:33 p.m. Thursday, May 28, 2015, Fort Bend County Sheriff’s Office deputies were called to the scene and found a 20-year-old woman who had been shot to death. Pena lived in the vicinity of the shopping center.
    Williams was taken into custody in the 6400 block of Westheimer in Houston on June 10 subsequent to the issuance of a warrant for his arrest for Murder. Williams attempted to flee by jumping off the balcony of a third-floor apartment unit.
    Dike was taken into custody at the same location and same date and was initially charged with unrelated outstanding warrants for his arrest. He subsequently was charged with Murder on June 13 upon issuance of an arrest warrant for the charge.
    Both men remain in the Fort Bend County Jail with bonds set at $250,000 by District Judge M. Jaramillo. Williams also has an additional bond of $20,000 for Possession of Marijuana.
    The suspects were apprehended with the assistance of the Houston Police Department.
    This case remains an active investigation. Anyone who has additional information about this crime may earn a cash reward by calling the Fort Bend County Crime Stoppers tips line at 281-342-TIPS (8477). All calls to Crime Stoppers are anonymous.
    Jun 15 in Crime & Safety to Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office

schmellba99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio

Did they ever find out who was randomly murdering homeless dudes in the Heights, then dumping their bodies in the bayou, or is that still going on and being kept relatively quiet?

Last I saw, there were 2 for sure, possibly even 3 murders of homeless in the last few months in the Heights....

schmellba99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio
    Sorry there is no longer any safe zones anymore. Crooks are predators, just like in the wild.
    Prey moves so does the predator. Follow the money, if i was a home invader i go to the soft targets. Expensive houses, curtains never drawn, garage doors left up.
    And people wit the mentality that it can't happen here. And then the thought in the soft target thinks you can negotiate with evil.
    Arm yourself and carry at all times when legal.

There have never been any safe zones - there has only been an illusion of safe zones. Major crimes are significantly less now than they were 50 years ago. We just have the ability to hear about them much easier than ever.

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    So for the orig story, buddy lives in the neighborhood where young girl lived

Dad's apperantly a drug dealer, and either it was retribution or she was starting to get into the biz

Top Bottom