Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    they know you are sure as heck not going to drive back out to the middle of Nowhere TX to talk to a judge. Send them a check and be done with it.
    Local and state agencies aren't the only ones to adopt that attitude.

I once got a speeding ticket from the Federal Protective Service. If contested, those are heard in Federal District Court. No Federal District Court judge is going to be happy with getting their time wasted by the U.S. Attorney's office over a $35 speeding ticket. I retained a lawyer that I knew; he was happy to do the job for free. We were ready to go in and request a jury trial. The attorney and I agreed that it would probably never get past the docket; the assigned AUSA would drop the charges before wasting the time of the judge like that. If they were stupid enough to let the case be called, we expected to witness that attorney get absolutely reamed. Even if I lost, that would be a $35 theater ticket I'd happily buy.

So what did the FPS do? I live in Houston. The ticket was issued in Houston. They docketed the case to the Federal District Court in downtown Miami, Florida. They knew I wouldn't fly over there just to contest a $35 ticket.

Begrudgingly, I paid it.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    1620940329052.png

Top Bottom