• ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I'd really like facts.
    Sometimes my biases need a reality check.

Yes! Me too on both!

Wall Street Journal, as mentioned earlier, tends to be closest to ‘just the facts’ for their news articles. Op-ed usually presents opposing viewpoints side by side or on consecutive days in an attempt to let the reader decide for themselves.

Business articles there tend to be most neutral while political reporting tows the line between news and op-ed.

ETA: Sample paragraph from one of yesterday’s stories on the Capitol:

““The Capitol Police were unprepared for the sheer size of the protest,” said David Gomez, a retired FBI executive. Once the rioters barged into the Capitol, other federal law enforcement agencies were slow to respond, either out of deference to President Trump or because of a lack of experience with dealing with riots, which isn’t their primary mission, Mr. Gomez said. “Up until they breached the Capitol, the possibility existed that it was going to be a large protest that didn’t cross those barricades. Once they did that [law enforcement personnel] were overwhelmed and couldn’t respond quickly enough,” he said.”

Hurley's Gold

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Newsmax or OAN are the least biased.
    You must be kidding or smoking something wacky if you think OANN is among the least biased. Among the least left leaning yes indeed but they are certainly heavily biased toward the right. Of course maybe you mean something other than OANN since you said OAN but I am guessing you mean OANN.

Reactions: TXP

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    And, if the biases of reporting facts isn’t bad enough, all of the news outlets also get into speculative, biased reporting most of the time as well.

I’m really tired of reading and hearing reports that include ”may“, “might”, “could”, ”can”, ...

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    What I think most are really saying is something along the lines of ‘where can I find a side to a story that reinforces/supports my biases.’
    That's the problem. Too many live in a bubble. Myself, I can't trust anyone to give me an unbiased report. Depending on the event, I will look up from sources in all areas of the spectrum of political views, for then I can average it out to a more unbiased series of events.

Too boring to look only for sounding boards.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    You must be kidding or smoking something wacky if you think OANN is among the least biased. Among the least left leaning yes indeed but they are certainly heavily biased toward the right. Of course maybe you mean something other than OANN since you said OAN but I am guessing you mean OANN.

If you think ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, CNN or FOX are better, you are smoking something wackier than me.

I call it OAN because that is what it says in the lower left hand box on my TV "One America News"

OAN.jpg

Last edited:

hooper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area
    +1 for ZeroHedge. They do tend to lean towards financial and to the right a bit. They are also a news aggregator but also expand on the original news story, typically as it relates to financial markets.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    ““The Capitol Police were unprepared for the sheer size of the protest,” said David Gomez, a retired FBI executive. Once the rioters barged into the Capitol, other federal law enforcement agencies were slow to respond, either out of deference to President Trump or because of a lack of experience with dealing with riots, which isn’t their primary mission, Mr. Gomez said. “Up until they breached the Capitol, the possibility existed that it was going to be a large protest that didn’t cross those barricades. Once they did that [law enforcement personnel] were overwhelmed and couldn’t respond quickly enough,” he said.”
    Let's see how much bias and ignorance I can find:

"other federal law enforcement agencies were slow to respond" because it is not their jurisdiction.

"either out of deference to President Trump" that right there is over the top bias.

"because of a lack of experience with dealing with riots" USCP along USPP are among some of the most experienced with dealing with crowd control.

"Up until they breached the Capitol, the possibility existed that it was going to be a large protest that didn’t cross those barricades" Shear brilliance there. And up until the shooting, nobody had been shot. Duh.

Last edited:

BigTexasOne

Support gun control! Hit what you aim at!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2016
    Springtown
    If you watch television for your news, you're misinformed. If you don't watch television for your news, you're uninformed.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Tough to find anything truly unbiased. But generally if your news source only says things you agree with you can probably assume it’s biased.

Best bet is to try to find sources as close to center as possible and use more than one.

I do like Tim Pool’s youtube channels. He mostly does commentary but is good about pointing out bias in articles and usually does a good job of finding multiple sources, or pointing out when sources aren’t actually up to any journalistic standard.

Not exactly a news channel, but he covers the news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Everyone has an agenda and will spin events to their desired outcome. Indulge me please, and allow me to tell you the story of how I learned this as a 23 year old.

From mid 1979 through mid 1981 I was spending enough time in England that I kept and an apartment (a flat) and an office in London. This “office” was in an office services company. I only had one of many 15’x15’ offices, and we all shared common services like the phone switchboard, secretarial/typing pool, Telex machine, etc. The lobby of this company was supplied daily with several dozen newspapers form around the world in the native languages as well as English translation of many. More on these newspapers later…

On the roof of the eight story building my office was in, was furniture set up for lounging or lunching if the weather permitted. It just so happened that from the roof of our building, with binoculars, you could see two and half to three of the five sides of the Iranian embassy compound which was a little over a mile or so away.

Now let me put a time stamp on this story. This was the time of the “Iranian Hostage Situation” when our Embassy was overtaken and 50+ hostages were taken and kept for over a year. In early spring of 1980, several members of a faction of Iranians laid siege and took hostages at the Iranian embassy in London for several days. Over these few days, our roof patio became the hot hangout with everyone bringing their binoculars and telescopes to watch the events. We watched the police surround and secure the location, the SAS fast rope to the roof, and eventually take back the embassy and free the hostages.

Back to my office’s lobby and the newspapers. Although I speak a dozen or so words and phrases in several languages, I read and write only English. I would daily read the reporting of the previous day’s events in multiple newspapers including not only American and English newspapers, but also the English translated versions of French, German, Italian, and other countries. (Understand that the Cold War was still on, so very little info came from the other side of the “Iron Curtain”, so that opinion was not readily available.)

The moral of this story is that NEVER did I read an accurate reporting of the events that I witnessed with my own eyes. Every country and even several from the same country, all had a slightly different spin to the events. This was my awakening to the fact that everyone has a different opinion based on their viewing perspective and their desired outcome of the events at hand. There is what you hear, read, and see; and the truth that lies somewhere in that mix.

During the Vietnam war a reporter was laying on his belly relating how a fierce firefight was happening. While he was telling of this terrible happening at the top of the screen a soldier's boots appear as he walks by at a slow mosey.

Top Bottom