Unlawful to carry a long gun loaded in your vehicle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rollingtrouble

rolls faster downhill
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    killeen,texas
    Is it unlawful to carry a long gun loaded in the state of Texas, are there places you cannot legally have one loaded? Can cities legally pass ordinances preventing loaded long guns in the state?
    Lynx Defense

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    IIRC

1000' of school zone
    1000' of the location of an execution on the day of an execution (applies to any firearm)
    I believe San Antonio has (or had) an ordinance. Others can correct as needed.

rollingtrouble

rolls faster downhill
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    killeen,texas
    Yes the San Antonio ordinance 21-16 is the one I am wondering about. That's the only city in the state that I am aware of that has that ordinance. I have driven through SA many times with loaded rifles in my truck, and was told that although it is a class C misdemeanor, the police there will arrest you for violation. There are no signs, warnings or anything to let travelers know when going to SA. I didn't think cities could pass laws like that, and reading state statutes it would seem its not in their power to do so. But they still enforce it, so fair warning to all :(Sec. 229.001. FIREARMS; EXPLOSIVES. (a) Notwithstanding any other law, including Section 43.002 of this code and Chapter 251, Agriculture Code, a municipality may not adopt regulations relating to:
    (1) the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, ammunition, or firearm supplies

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I imagine many are, unknowingly / unintentional in the majority of cases. Forget the big cities, can you imagine how many hunters travel the state with schools less than 1000' off the highway?

rollingtrouble

rolls faster downhill
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    killeen,texas
    You were "told" that....have you ACTUALLY been arrested for same? I have not - and I've challenged 'em on it directly more than once.
    No I haven't been arrested, didn't say I did, but I wasn't aware of the ordinance and was surprised they even had it. SA is kind of screwed up with some of their ordinances. You said you challenged it, did you get a ticket?

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yes the San Antonio ordinance 21-16 is the one I am wondering about. That's the only city in the state that I am aware of that has that ordinance. I have driven through SA many times with loaded rifles in my truck, and was told that although it is a class C misdemeanor, the police there will arrest you for violation. There are no signs, warnings or anything to let travelers know when going to SA. I didn't think cities could pass laws like that, and reading state statutes it would seem its not in their power to do so. But they still enforce it, so fair warning to all :(Sec. 229.001. FIREARMS; EXPLOSIVES. (a) Notwithstanding any other law, including Section 43.002 of this code and Chapter 251, Agriculture Code, a municipality may not adopt regulations relating to:
    (1) the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, ammunition, or firearm supplies

Name one instance where an individual was arrested in San Antonio solely because they had a loaded long arm in their vehicle.

You can't.

And don't claim "the police there will arrest you for violation" as they have never done so. If someone told you that, they are full of shit and you shouldn't quote them.

Please get your facts straight before making such accusations.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    No I haven't been arrested, didn't say I did, but I wasn't aware of the ordinance and was surprised they even had it. SA is kind of screwed up with some of their ordinances. You said you challenged it, did you get a ticket?

I'm QUITE aware of the ordinance, and spent several years trying to get cited/arrested for it. Have refused to unload long guns and told the officers that they were welcome to cite me or arrest me. They never did. Most LEO's you talk with KNOW it's unenforceable, and so I don't dive deep into their "stuff" over it, but I also won't comply with it.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Is it unlawful to carry a long gun loaded in the state of Texas, are there places you cannot legally have one loaded? Can cities legally pass ordinances preventing loaded long guns in the state?

All the places listed in 46.03 + School Zones, Federal Property, any place you have been told you cannot have one.

rollingtrouble

rolls faster downhill
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    killeen,texas
    Name one instance where an individual was arrested in San Antonio solely because they had a loaded long arm in their vehicle.

You can't.

And don't claim "the police there will arrest you for violation" as they have never done so. If someone told you that, they are full of shit and you shouldn't quote them.

Please get your facts straight before making such accusations.

My facts are that the ordinance exists and I was told by a friend that he was told by SAPD he could be arrested for violating the ordinance. What's your problem, you act like I'm accusing you of something personally? Pull yer panties out of yer crack...

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    My facts are that the ordinance exists and I was told by a friend that he was told by SAPD he could be arrested for violating the ordinance. What's your problem, you act like I'm accusing you of something personally? Pull yer panties out of yer crack...

Then why ask a question you know sooo much about?

85mackey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    houston

You should get used to some people on here getting their vaginas hurt over petty shit. This is a great place to learn, but some guys on here just want to be dicks for the sake of being dicks.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom