Capitol Armory ad

Unlawful to carry a long gun loaded in your vehicle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rollingtrouble

rolls faster downhill
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    killeen,texas
    You should get used to some people on here getting their vaginas hurt over petty shit. This is a great place to learn, but some guys on here just want to be dicks for the sake of being dicks.
    Oh believe me, I don't post very much but I soak it all in. Been around a few years and I like it here just fine. I know who the jerks are, not worried about them in the least :)
    ARJ Defense ad

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    For your original post - I don't have any advice. As far as the people on here go - don't give up on us. I've gone shooting with a good number and they are all good guys and gals. There's lots of people on here with lots of knowledge. Welcome to TGT.

Flyingswords

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Smiths Station AL
    IIRC

1000' of school zone
    1000' of the location of an execution on the day of an execution (applies to any firearm)
    I believe San Antonio has (or had) an ordinance. Others can correct as needed.

I may be right or wrong, but that only applies to property lines. Public roadways do not apply if in a vehicle

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I live within 1000ft of a school guess I'm some sorta threat, woe be to the guy that comes and try's to pull a sandy hook while I'm driving by though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

TaoJones1066

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Weatherford, TX
    As far as the statement that you can be arrested, I know you can be arrested for ANY violation of Texas Penal Code or Traffic Code, other than Speeding and Open Container. Not sure how that applies to municipal codes punishable by fine only. Somehow I doubt it is an arrestable offense.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    The Police may make a custodial arrest for COV. Academically speaking, the Police may arrest you at any time and for any reason. Whether that arrest results in charges, and whether you have a good cause of action for a 1983 suit, is another matter.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Are we speaking of carrying with a cartridge in the chamber? It might have little to do with the law, but much to do with safety.

Is that a troll or an actual question??

If actual question it has little to do with anything....

WTF would you have a gun that you are carrying for defense without a round in the chamber?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    So am I reading this right to believe that although it is legal to carry a gun in your vehicle without a CHL that doesn't apply withing 1000 feet of a school? That is insane... I need to get my wife's CHL done asap.. :(

Yes, it does apply. Texas could not care less how close you are to a school in your vehicle. Federal law makes it an offense, however.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    As far as the statement that you can be arrested, I know you can be arrested for ANY violation of Texas Penal Code or Traffic Code, other than Speeding and Open Container. Not sure how that applies to municipal codes punishable by fine only. Somehow I doubt it is an arrestable offense.

One can be arrested for speeding or open container, or a municipal code violation. For the record, I am TCLESOE, CHL and private security instructor.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    rollingtrouble Glockster is referring to this, a federal law that applies nationwide. Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990
    So how would this portion of the Act affect CHL holders? Exemptions: (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license; Does having a CHL only cover the handgun?

TaoJones1066

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Weatherford, TX
    I see where I was confused. In the Transportation Code Sec. 543.004, it states that an officer "shall" issue a notice to appear for a speeding violation or violation of open container law, and that those two offenses were the only offenses for which issuance of a written notice to appear was mandatory. I was reading that you had to write the ticket as opposed to making an arrest.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    So how would this portion of the Act affect CHL holders? Exemptions: (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license; Does having a CHL only cover the handgun?

No, the federal law applies to firearms

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I see where I was confused. In the Transportation Code Sec. 543.004, it states that an officer "shall" issue a notice to appear for a speeding violation or violation of open container law, and that those two offenses were the only offenses for which issuance of a written notice to appear was mandatory. I was reading that you had to write the ticket as opposed to making an arrest.

If the person refuses to sign a promise to appear, an arrest is allowed under the code.

Top Bottom