Gun Zone Deals

Unlawful to carry a long gun loaded in your vehicle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    ...and you "may" arrest for those violations, but you "shall" issue the ticket.
    If the person signs the promise to appear no arrest can be made.

Texas Transportation Code
    Sec. 543.004. NOTICE TO APPEAR REQUIRED: CERTAIN OFFENSES. (a) An officer shall issue a written notice to appear if:
    (1) the offense charged is speeding or a violation of the open container law, Section 49.03, Penal Code; and
    (2) the person makes a written promise to appear in court as provided by Section 543.005.
    (b) If the person is a resident of or is operating a vehicle licensed in a state or country other than this state, Subsection (a) applies only as provided by Chapter 703.
    (c) The offenses specified by Subsection (a) are the only offenses for which issuance of a written notice to appear is mandatory.

Sec. 543.005. PROMISE TO APPEAR; RELEASE. To secure release, the person arrested must make a written promise to appear in court by signing the written notice prepared by the arresting officer. The signature may be obtained on a duplicate form or on an electronic device capable of creating a copy of the signed notice. The arresting officer shall retain the paper or electronic original of the notice and deliver the copy of the notice to the person arrested. The officer shall then promptly release the person from custody.

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    Is that a troll or an actual question??

If actual question it has little to do with anything....

WTF would you have a gun that you are carrying for defense without a round in the chamber?
    The original post speaks of long guns. At least one comment spoke of travelling hunters. I believe that's a different context than defensive carry. A loaded bolt action in an accident would be a likely candidate for discharge.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    WTF would you have a gun that you are carrying for defense without a round in the chamber?

I carry a rifle in my vehicle without a round in the chamber for defense. The amount of time it will take me to chamber a round from the loaded magazine is insignificant to getting the rifle into the fight. My handguns will hopefully suffice until then if needed. My handguns are more quickly accessible do have rounds in their chambers. A think a lot of folks understand that sometimes our personal safety procedures outweigh the 'quick draw' mentality in some aspects of our layered defensive posture.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Did anyone even bother to read that article?

"The Supreme Court of the United States subsequently held that the Act was an unconstitutional exercise of Congressional authority under the Commerce Clause of the United States Constitution ....

It was re-enacted to conform to SCOTUS objections in 1996.

Not to be a smart-ass, but if you had read the next paragraph of the article.....

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Did anyone even bother to read that article?

"The Supreme Court of the United States subsequently held that the Act was an unconstitutional exercise of Congressional authority under the Commerce Clause of the United States Constitution in United States Vs. Lopez, 514 U.S. 549 (1995)."

United States v. Lopez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yep, that act was struck down, and Congress rewrote it with changes and the new version stands as law.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    At least you two guys ^^^^ were nice to London when you b-slapped him about the statute. I was about to counter punch him in the nuts with it.................;)

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    The few times I’ve been stopped and asked if I had a fire arm in my vehicle and I did have a lever gun loaded in my truck.
    The only thing they ever did was pull out the gun, unload it and put it back and put the shells in the ash tray and sent me on my way.
    They never say if it’s illegal or not but seem to not be too worried about it.

Top Bottom