Join TexasGunTalk

Upsellers.

Discussion in 'Rants and Raves' started by Sam7sf, Nov 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

After getting settled in Bedford, I’m finding it a real adjustment from the smaller town lifestyle I’m used to. The upselling and lack of honesty is strong in the metroplex.

Took my truck for an inspection so I can do my registration. I get a call thinking my trucks done. Nope. Upselling me on a new battery. The employee on the phone tells me my battery is getting weak. I ask if they actually put a meter on it. Employee says yes. I then ask if they put rpm on the engine and witnessed the battery not reach normal voltage as my concern is to verify alternator function. Employee says no they didn’t do that. I politely say thank you for the customer service but I would prefer to examine my voltage at home. “But sir, you need a new battery. I can take another 15 bucks off with your core” no thank you. “We will call you when your inspection is done” wait...wait...you called to sell me on something before you finished your work on my truck?

Reminds me of a Nissan dealership that tried to pull a fast one on me. Now I do most of the work myself. If I take it in, I’m not tooled up to do the job. So I’m waiting for axle work to be done. I get a call saying they think I need new plugs. Oh wow (I always say oh wow pretending like I know nothing lol) oh wow, that’s funny, it wasn’t more than 15 thousand miles ago I changed my plugs with oem ones I got from you guys and used your torque specs I called and got directly from your shop, I say. “Oh uh uhhh uh it’s probably not needed”.

Darkpriest667 and Southpaw like this.
  2. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Sounds worse than my Kwik Kar Lube place

Davetex likes this.
  3. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    You have to drop your truck off to get it inspected?

pronstar and sharkey like this.
  4. TheMailMan

TheMailMan Well-Known

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I kind of wondered about that too.

5. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    No way am I doing that.

6. vmax

vmax TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2013
    Dont take your car to a lube center for inspection or anything for that matter.
    They are trained to sell you everything

Sam7sf likes this.
  7. Kar98

Kar98 TGT Addict

Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Lube center is just fine. In and out in 15 minutes, and decline all extra work not needed. No need to drop it off and wait for phone calls.

Kwik Kar is fine. Mobil 1 and 5 Minute Oil Change places are fine. Pep Boys, no way, don't even think about it.

no2gates likes this.
  8. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I get free inspections at the dealer I bought it from.

ekim likes this.
  9. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

Firestone in Bedford. They were very busy. So I got lunch and waited.

10. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

No kidding. I never went to a lube center in my life. Always did my own oil. Probably ocd and unwarranted but I never trusted any of them to even do simple things.

vmax likes this.