US Marines Vs. our US Second Amendment

Old Man of the Mountain

BANNED!!!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 5, 2009
US Marines Vs. our US Second Amendment

Ok, this is disturbing.

A local Marine was home on leave this week, and when I spoke to him he told me he was stationed at 29 Palms.

I mentioned that it had been reported that Marines from 29 Palms were searching cars and confiscating guns in California.

He said “You just don’t understand, no one is allowed to carry guns on base”.

So I clarified that they are not confiscating guns on the Military Base, they are off the base, out in the State of California, and that I believe it is illegal for them to do that.

His response came very easy “Well the State of California does not want anyone to have any guns”.

He had no hesitation and no remorse at any clear violations of any Citizen’s Rights.

I just went ahead with what he said, and carried that forward, saying that there was a lot of gun crime in California, and that nearly all of it is committed with a 9 mm pistol, but that is not what the State Government of California goes after. They don’t go after the 9 mm pistols, they go after rifles and shotguns.

Again no pause for thought and he replied straight back as if he had been briefed on this subject “Well no one in California needs a rifle or a shotgun because they do not allow hunting out there”.

I answered him back with “Of course they do, if they have a criminal with a 9 mm breaking down their door and coming into their home they need to be able to stop them now!

Then he looked puzzled and bewildered, as if that had never been covered in any Military Briefing.

I brought up the fact that a new law was passed that might disarm him when he leaves the Military (passed about one year ago).

He said “No, it has been that way for a long time now”.

None of this seemed to bother him in the least.

He seems to believe that only the Government and the Military have any Legal Rights, and that the purpose of the Military is to defend the Government.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMYzfUhB5jQ

Rob1796

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sep 17, 2008
Colleyville
Interesting... though the title should read "One Marine". I know a handful of Marines personally, and most of them think the civilan populace isn't armed heavily enough.

JKTex

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
Please tell me you got that in an email or saw it posted somewhere and just fell for it?

Did you look into that at all? While somewhat disturbing, yes, what allegedly was going on was not this.

JKTex

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
I'm assuming this point was on base, otherwise I would think the MPs have no jurisdiction.

That's where the problem comes in, it wasn't on a base that I can tell. It was apparently a very rural area.

However, I can't find much out about it that doesn't come from conspiracy based sources, other than a release from the County announcing the 3 agency check points including the USMC MP.

Shorts

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Mar 28, 2008
Texas
This isn't the first Marine I hear about with this attitude.

There's a friend of mine with the same idea. His take is that civilians have no business with firearms because they don't know how to use them and they don't know how to shoot. That frankly, they shouldn't have guns.

I've butted heads with him a few times about gun topics so I don't even bother anymore.

On the other hand, I've got another Marine friend who is a fervent 2A supporter. He sends emails and forwards and generally passes on info about legislation and such. Very outspoken 2A supporter.

At theend of the day, we shouldn't forget that Marines come from all walks of life. The cross section will still have those that are anti or at least, very ill-informed.

Leper

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sep 28, 2008
This isn't the first Marine I hear about with this attitude.

There's a friend of mine with the same idea. His take is that civilians have no business with firearms because they don't know how to use them and they don't know how to shoot. That frankly, they shouldn't have guns.

I've butted heads with him a few times about gun topics so I don't even bother anymore.

On the other hand, I've got another Marine friend who is a fervent 2A supporter. He sends emails and forwards and generally passes on info about legislation and such. Very outspoken 2A supporter.

At theend of the day, we shouldn't forget that Marines come from all walks of life. The cross section will still have those that are anti or at least, very ill-informed.

There are different opinions in any group of people. If you look at history, many in the armed forces believed what they were doing was right. If it was or wasn't is still a topic of debate years later. It brings up the old statement "I though it was the thing to do at the time". Some people believe what they are told, and some dig a little deeper.

Shorts

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Mar 28, 2008
Texas
There are different opinions in any group of people. If you look at history, many in the armed forces believed what they were doing was right. If it was or wasn't is still a topic of debate years later. It brings up the old statement "I though it was the thing to do at the time". Some people believe what they are told, and some dig a little deeper.

I agree. Which is why civilians should remain vigilant and do their part

An inner conflict/law can become a pretty gray area when a person is completely engulfed in work, social situations, combat, training and subordinate to actions that are inappropriate to say the least. Doesn't make it right, just that keeping one's head straight is a lot tougher. Saying 'no' is harder than it normally would be in 'the real world' where one can walk away and not be exposed to the backlash.

Top Bottom