• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nairb2580

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    What is the law on carrying a handgun in your vehicle? Does the gun and vehicle both have to be in your name or can you tote a gun you bought from an individual with you? And do you have to have a concealed license to have one in your truck? Thanks in advance.

Brian
    Target Sports

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    as long as you're legally allowed to own a firearm, and you're not actively committing a crime and you're not part of a gang, you can keep a loaded gun in your vehicle. it must be concealed, hidden from view, but you can keep it anywhere in the vehicle, including on your person.

there is no gun registration in texas so there's no such thing as having a gun "in your name."

the concealed handgun is required only if you want to carry on your person, while outside of your home, property, or vehicle; within the prescribed CHL law, of course.

Last edited:

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    What is the law on carrying a handgun in your vehicle? Does the gun and vehicle both have to be in your name or can you tote a gun you bought from an individual with you? And do you have to have a concealed license to have one in your truck? Thanks in advance.

Brian

As Alex said, no registration in Texas.

Actual law.

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
    (a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
    (1) the handgun is in plain view; or
    (2) the person is:
    (A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating;
    (B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
    (C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.
    (a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.
    (a-3) For purposes of this section, "watercraft" means any boat, motorboat, vessel, or personal watercraft, other than a seaplane on water, used or capable of being used for transportation on water.
    (b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
    (c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

Sigmar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Arlington Tx
    hell according to some people i guess this forum is just here to bs on and show off your guns. Heaven forbid a newbie ask a question without being jumped on. Glad that wasn't my 1st introduction to the group cause I'd have been outta here

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    hell according to some people i guess this forum is just here to bs on and show off your guns. Heaven forbid a newbie ask a question without being jumped on. Glad that wasn't my 1st introduction to the group cause I'd have been outta here

"I'd have been outta here" That would be OK if your going to act like that lol

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011

I wouldn't have missed you. It doesn't look like you contribute much anyway.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX

True to an extent....but the others had a point.......but yeah, the actual detail of what he's asking can be confusing - so why not just answer the OP's question (as TXI did).....

Sigmar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Arlington Tx
    I wouldn't have missed you. It doesn't look like you contribute much anyway.
    Well azzhole thats because I joined to learn a few things one of which wasn't how many jerks there are on here. So I make it two. Most people join these things to learn and share knowledge not be browbeaten by some clown hiding behind his computer in mommy's basement. But then theres always a few on every forum that think they're a legend in their own minds.

nairb2580

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Well to be honest i joined this site because im new to guns and laws and wanted to have a place i could learn and enjoy that was Texas based since i am Texas proud. I thought it might be a good place but with all the cussing and name calling i probably wont be back, not that i will be missed anyway since i don't contribute. Thanks for those that did and were grown up enough to simply answer my question as i did search but being that i dont know much about computers i didnt know where to look.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Well to be honest i joined this site because im new to guns and laws and wanted to have a place i could learn and enjoy that was Texas based since i am Texas proud. I thought it might be a good place but with all the cussing and name calling i probably wont be back, not that i will be missed anyway since i don't contribute. Thanks for those that did and were grown up enough to simply answer my question as i did search but being that i dont know much about computers i didnt know where to look.

Stick around. We are normally on better behavior.

Apparently some didn't take their meds in this thread... They are a little moodier than normal.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Dude or dudette (not sure by username) you got a crappy intro by others and that sucks, but leaving because of that won't help you. Sometimes the internet can be a butt kinda like sometimes the car breaks down. Buck up, hang around, learn and feel free to ask questions, comment, and ignore the asses.

JMO (just my opinion)

Top Bottom