• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I disagree. IMHO, it must be worn on your belt in your vehicle to not be concealed. Of course IANAL. And from everything I've tried to read so far, the AG has not issued any opinions yet.

Or shoulder holster.

Sent from my HAL 9000
    Venture Surplus ad

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    One constables interpretation does not necessarily apply state wide, or even to every department in Montgomery county.

Nor will it carry much weight in your local court.

Sent from my HAL 9000

I'm printing off this whole thread, pics and all so If I get stopped I can show it to the cop and maybe he will read this and let me go

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I disagree. IMHO, it must be worn on your belt in your vehicle to not be concealed. Of course IANAL. And from everything I've tried to read so far, the AG has not issued any opinions yet.

Incorrect. The law states the handgun must be carried in a belt or shoulder holster. The statute does not state that the holster must be attached to your belt.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    Incorrect. The law states the handgun must be carried in a belt or shoulder holster. The statute does not state that the holster must be attached to your belt.
    I forgot to include shoulder holster, and you are tempting a ride if you believe you can carry a handgun in a belt holster in your hand and not attached to your waist. Or laying on the seat unconcealed. Again just my opinion. There are many opinions, I'm going to stick with a strict one.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I'm not saying Bithabus is wrong, but I think I'll give it a year or two and allow someone else to run this through the courts. I can't afford it. I'll keep a pistol tucked away for now.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Interesting perspective/question.
    It's a question I've had since watching, live, the agonizing passage of HB910.
    Only sure thing: ambiguity in statutes, lawyers win ...

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Got a call from a Conroe PD officer (Buddy) today. They got a memo from the District Attorneys office that vehicle open carry is legal as long as it is in a belt or shoulder holster. It is still legal if it is mounted to the vehicle in a holster as long as the person has a CHL. Also he noted that the district attorney pointed out that citizens who have a CHL are traditionally model citizens who have passed background checks.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    in the "round table" Round Rock did a week or so ago. The cops said that holsters mounted to the car do not count for open carry in the car. I am not sure if they said it being in a holster on a belt in the seat next to you was ok. They did say wearing a shoulder or belt holster with an exposed gun is fine if you have a lenience to carry.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Beautiful (!).... last two post are exactly opposite interpretations of the same law (if I'm reading Round Rock & Conroe correctly). Which is why the Texas AG needs to weigh in on this ambiguity. And hopefully that won't take long; in the meanwhile I'll also go with the more conservative approach as I don't want to force the i$$ue either!

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I still have my holster bolted to the center console of my beater and a towel I throw over it. I am not pressing the issue

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Vehicle carry has a lot of loophole options in 46.15. So easy to carry unconcealed.

I do not see the big deal here as carrying unsecured is a bad idea (ie sudden stops), I just toss in console and done.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Vehicle carry has a lot of loophole options in 46.15. So easy to carry unconcealed.

I do not see the big deal here as carrying unsecured is a bad idea (ie sudden stops), I just toss in console and done.

Unconcealed isn't the same as unsecured. And in the console isn't always readily available.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    how is being in a retention holster that is bolted to the console not secured. If the accident is that bad then I bet your console would have opened and spewed its contents all over too.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    how is being in a retention holster that is bolted to the console not secured. If the accident is that bad then I bet your console would have opened and spewed its contents all over too.

Where did I write "a retention holster that is bolted to the console not secured"?

Top Bottom