• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    My wifes grand cherokee drives awesome in snow. My truck needs new tires but it did fine despite that

My four wheeler was fun to drive as long as I wasnt getting hit by the north wind we have right now
    ARJ Defense ad

TexasBB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2014
    Drive my 2020 Silverado set to Auto 4WD every day with no issues whatsoever. Very impressed with the Auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Forgot the AntiGel and my dually said unh unh. Started fine Sun but Mon nope. Waiting for Tues-Wed and 60 deg. Wifes Tahoe had no problems. Of course neither one have left the driveway, no need except for stir-crazy.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    If you plug a block heater in do you think you still need anti gel? Not a great diesel expert.
    Maybe...Depends on where the fuel gelled at. not any help if the filter or lines were frozen.

Having lived up North most of my life, I’ve always had block heaters in all my vehicles, but this 2018 Duramax had a recall on the heater and it hasn’t been fixed yet....but I’ll be calling tomorrow to complain loudly.

Last edited:

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I looked at my Ford diesel manual and they kind of suggest warranty issue if you add anti gel. My first diesel.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I looked at my Ford diesel manual and they kind of suggest warranty issue if you add anti gel. My first diesel.

my ”go to”:

This is all I could find on Wednesday (and it worked after a few hours):

This is another option but best used at fill up to remove water:

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    Both of my cars have Michelin PS4S tires on them. They did not move. My wife’s Tahoe did fine on the couple short runs we had to make, helping friends with pipes, etc. Worst part was getting back up our driveway... it’s inclined and was covered in ice.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My work truck (diesel) had no problems but I had been running fuel treatment in it.

Added treatment to the new truck (diesel also) but it was too late to cycle it through the lines. Let it sit until Tuesday and it still didn't want to fire but finally did.

Both 4x4 (6x6?) duallies and no problem with either on the roads even pulling my work trailer. Came in from out of state Sunday and back out Wednesday.

Plenty of experience driving on ice covered roads really helps. I can't stand going that slow but sometimes you have to.

Family's gassers had no issues either. Good opportunity to show the kids how to do a proper donut (I mean show them how to drive on the ice).

miniion26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2020
    Highlands
    With the great Texas Freeze of 2021 almost behind us, anyone have lessons learned from this painful week?

I have a couple:

1. Totally screwed up and forgot to stock up on diesel anti-gel. My Diesel pickup went down and took me a day to get it running when I finally located some anti gel (used Sea Foam). I generally keep some Power Service (white bottle) on hand to put in the tank when temps drop but forgot to restock my stash. I won’t be in this situation again

2. With my truck down, I was relegated to driving my daughters 2018 Subaru Forrester. I had never driven a Subaru in the snow. I took that buggy through the deepest snow I could find (8-10” drifts) and it never missed a beat and barely spun a tire!

I grew up driving Jeep’s in New Hampshire. I’ve lived in Alaska and Montana for over 15 years between the two. I’ve owned Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Isuzu, and Ford 4X4’s. That little Subaru with basic all season radials is as good as any of them in deep snow, I swear!

Thinking hard about replacing my wife’s Accord with a new Subaru this summer.
    Are your filters clear of water? I do not run any additives, and my diesel starts right up. Did the same for 2 years in PA mountains. Also, glow plugs working 100%? One of them missing a bit, then you're done.

Last edited:

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Are your filters clear of water? I do not run any additives, and my diesel starts right up. Did the same for 2 years in PA mountains. Also, glow plugs working 100%? One of the missing a bit, then you're done.
    I change the fuel filter regularly (every 12K ish) but may have gotten some crappy fuel.

I can’t tell you about the glow plugs. I do cycle them a few times when starting cold on cold days.

PA sells #1 diesel in the winter months, but TX only has #2.

I do plan on replacing the fuel filter soon.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    With the great Texas Freeze of 2021 almost behind us, anyone have lessons learned from this painful week?

2. With my truck down, I was relegated to driving my daughters 2018 Subaru Forrester. I had never driven a Subaru in the snow. I took that buggy through the deepest snow I could find (8-10” drifts) and it never missed a beat and barely spun a tire!

I grew up driving Jeep’s in New Hampshire. I’ve lived in Alaska and Montana for over 15 years between the two. I’ve owned Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Isuzu, and Ford 4X4’s. That little Subaru with basic all season radials is as good as any of them in deep snow, I swear!

Thinking hard about replacing my wife’s Accord with a new Subaru this summer.

three of my kids have Subaru’s and love them.

whodathunkit?

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    I just parked the Titan XD in the shop since it’s diesel. Just kept above freezing since we have the Jeep Wrangler. Those Nitto tires on the Jeep were made for this. We pulled 2 out of ditches yesterday taking the lady home that’s been staying in the shop/barn. She’s got electricity now so they can stay warm. Everyone was very appreciative. There’s still a lot of snow on the roads in the outlying areas less traveled. Today should make a big difference. We will get above freezing for the first time in over a week? Hell I’ve lost track....

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I have never had problem with any vehicle in snow. You get traction in snow.

I have never seen a vehicle that can drive on Texas black ice. You get no traction on wet ice.

For sure.

Snow traction is all about tires. Ice traction doesn’t exist.

All that slush turned to ice as I was driving around 6p last night.

Nearly hit a fire hydrant at less than walking pace, it was a wild 20-second ride, the suburban just slid on it...reminded me of this scene LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom