• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    The el camino did not want to start at first. It took a couple of tries. Let her run for about 20 Minutes the temp gauge never moved
    I must have a stuck open thermostat. really didnt drive anywhere didnt need to. I remember folks in PA mixing kerosene in with their diesel but that was 20 years ago. I imagine that would screw up some of the emissions stuff now.
    Texas SOT

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My Dodge Journey sat in the driveway like a champ.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yep, none of my vehicles braved the road, my driveway has a steep incline, was afraid there might be ice trying to get back up it.
    We used my stepdaughters car after she got here.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I remember the old days of the older mechanical diesel engines would run on some of the worst diesel fuel! They could have tons of water in the fuel, and they would still run. Poorly, but still run. These newer diesel engines, fuel quality is critical for them to run and run properly, and not damage critical and expensive fuel components.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Yeah the whole POINT of diesel engines was originall that they could run on basically the dirt you scoop up from an oil leak.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Yeah the whole POINT of diesel engines was originall that they could run on basically the dirt you scoop up from an oil leak.

Pretty close! I found out the hard way how critical diesel fuel quality was some years ago, when a customer used some crappy water contaminated diesel in one of our boom forklifts. Several hours of R&R the fuel injection pump to be rebuilt, drain and flush the fuel tanks and lines, and the repair bill for the rebuilt fuel injection pump was over $4000!

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Pretty close! I found out the hard way how critical diesel fuel quality was some years ago, when a customer used some crappy water contaminated diesel in one of our boom forklifts. Several hours of R&R the fuel injection pump to be rebuilt, drain and flush the fuel tanks and lines, and the repair bill for the rebuilt fuel injection pump was over $4000!

Did you loan a customer your forklift?
    Why was he putting fuel in it?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Did you loan a customer your forklift?
    Why was he putting fuel in it?

I was the shop manager at an equipment rental business. Equipment was fueled and serviced at our place, but the customer was responsible for refueling and all fuel used during the rental period. There was a lot of our equipment that were long-term rentals.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I was the shop manager at an equipment rental business. Equipment was fueled and serviced at our place, but the customer was responsible for refueling and all fuel used during the rental period. There was a lot of our equipment that were long-term rentals.
    Ah, that makes perfect sense then.
    I only remembered you being a mechanic or something, that's why I asked.
    Thanks.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Ah, that makes perfect sense then.
    I only remembered you being a mechanic or something, that's why I asked.
    Thanks.

I wore many different hats in that career. I started out as a mechanic many, many years ago. Even when I moved more into management, I was still doing lots of mechanic work on the side at home and on my own projects. Plus even being a shop manager in a few different shops over the years, I kept up on what was going on in various related fields.

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    Decided to take my daily driver 96 bronco out and use 4wd for the first time. Learned the auto hubs were toast, and no 4wd. Returned to my rolling blackout house, and ordered a manual hub kit on my phone. Won’t be caught without again.

Started up the wife’s diesel vw beetle. It had a weak battery before the cold, and needed a little boost to start. Quick lithium jump box work, and it started right up—no gelling issues. We almost exclusively use Sam’s Club diesel in it.

Used my Raptor for winter driving and got to try out 4wd in it. Drove like it was made for the snow. Most fun was having 183 to myself at 5am on Tuesday morning on the way to work. Four wide lanes of snowy goodness. Kept wishing I had a camera running to capture the trip. I maybe saw 8 vehicles on the road, including a short stretch of 35 all the way to downtown Austin.

I grew up driving in the Midwest, and then moved to Colorado before arriving in Texas, so I feel like I know how to drive in snow and ice. It’s the other folks on the road I don’t trust. Especially those cursing around with their emergency warning lights on. Where did this horrible habit come from? Texas drivers Ed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Decided to take my daily driver 96 bronco out and use 4wd for the first time. Learned the auto hubs were toast, and no 4wd. Returned to my rolling blackout house, and ordered a manual hub kit on my phone. Won’t be caught without again.

Started up the wife’s diesel vw beetle. It had a weak battery before the cold, and needed a little boost to start. Quick lithium jump box work, and it started right up—no gelling issues. We almost exclusively use Sam’s Club diesel in it.

Used my Raptor for winter driving and got to try out 4wd in it. Drove like it was made for the snow. Most fun was having 183 to myself at 5am on Tuesday morning on the way to work. Four wide lanes of snowy goodness. Kept wishing I had a camera running to capture the trip. I maybe saw 8 vehicles on the road, including a short stretch of 35 all the way to downtown Austin.

I grew up driving in the Midwest, and then moved to Colorado before arriving in Texas, so I feel like I know how to drive in snow and ice. It’s the other folks on the road I don’t trust. Especially those cursing around with their emergency warning lights on. Where did this horrible habit come from? Texas drivers Ed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't trust drivers who think they can drive on Texas black ice.

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    I don't trust drivers who think they can drive on Texas black ice.

You think black ice is proprietary to Texas? It’s the same black ice I learned to deal with everywhere else I lived. Know where it is usually located (shady areas, bridges, etc) and try to avoid it. If you have to drive on it, slow speed, no sudden inputs, and deal with it. Maybe it’s better you just stay off the roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    2018 JL or JK? I trickle charged my JL to help the 2 battery system. The ESS battery is always questionable but there's a way to bypass the battery.
    JK. It has a new battery under warranty, it turns over just won't start. It sits most of the time. I try to drive it a few miles every week or two but lately things have been busy. We bought it for my wife in August 2018 and it still has less than 2,000 miles. She had a stroke a few years ago and decided she doesn't want to drive again except in emergency. I'm hoping she will let me trade it on something someday but haven't convinced her yet.

miniion26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2020
    Highlands
    You think black ice is proprietary to Texas? It’s the same black ice I learned to deal with everywhere else I lived. Know where it is usually located (shady areas, bridges, etc) and try to avoid it. If you have to drive on it, slow speed, no sudden inputs, and deal with it. Maybe it’s better you just stay off the roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So true. I've always had a RWD vehicle. Not an issue, really.

TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    Drove over 600 mile this week, taking my wife to work in downtown Dallas 58 mi round trip.

I have a 2010 Tacoma TRD OffRoad, it held up extremely well, real 4X4 performance. Decent all-terrain Michelin tires for snow.

Durging my trips, I have seen a dozen ice slides from other drivers. Guys who drive like it is summer. Dumb.

Top Bottom