• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2015
    Lugers are very difficult to value accurately. I keep wanting to buy one but specific items that are rare or special seem very difficult for the layman to discern.
    That's exactly the problem I'm having. So many minute details for Lugers.
    Guns International

Vec

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 8, 2015
    suburbs
    IMHO:

I like to think I've raised my 3 sons better than to sell off the firearms I leave to them when the good Lord calls me to the fold.

OP my suggestion is just store them away until a much later date, you may regret your decision to sell things from your father in the future.

Harris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2015
    IMHO:

I like to think I've raised my 3 sons better than to sell off the firearms I leave to them when the good Lord calls me to the fold.

OP my suggestion is just store them away until a much later date, you may regret your decision to sell things from your father in the future.

I'm keeping the pistol, rifle and shotgun that he taught me to shoot with. Those guns have immense sentimental value and I would never sell them. As I said before, someone else will get more pleasure from owning the guns I'm selling than I will. If I kept them, they would just sit in a gun safe. That is not what he would have wanted.

I have to say that I resent the implication that by selling these guns, my Dad somehow raised me wrong. I think I know how he would feel about this more than you, someone who never met him. Your insulting opinion in this matter is uncalled for, IMHO.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    It is entirely your decision. My comments came from my reflections many years ago after my father's death. I sold some of his guns that I wasn't interested in and regret it now. Fortunately I have a nephew that hunts and is interested in all kinds of guns. My two daughters will get a few when I bite the dirt. You know more about what's best than any of us. I just wish I had kept more of my Dad's guns in the family. Good luck whatever you do.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Call the NRA (if you are not yet a member, then join).

Tell them what you have, and they will tell you what it is worth.

You could also donate it to the NRA and have your father's name associated with the donation.

Be well.

Harris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2015
    Call the NRA (if you are not yet a member, then join).

Tell them what you have, and they will tell you what it is worth.

You could also donate it to the NRA and have your father's name associated with the donation.

Be well.

I appreciate your excellent suggestions.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    There are a couplea members here who are very knowledgeable about 1911s. OIF2 is the first that comes to mind, but there are another 1 or 2 usernames that are escaping me.

The Browning rifle will vary. If it's Belgian-made and you still have the original leather case, you are looking at some good money. I've seen Engraved Belgian models with the case go for well over $1000.

Used Pocket Berettas have gone up a little bit in the past few years. New ones are $350-400. A used Belgian-made model in very good shape can get pretty close to that number, an American-made model slightly less.

Can't help you on the Luger or the Kongsberg Colt. Best I can tell you is both will fetch 4 figures if in good shape (which yours appear to be).

Last edited:

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    The M1911 appears to be pre 1924 and could be worth some money except that it looks (in the photo) to be refinished which severely lowers the collector's value. If it is stamped United States Property, it was a military gun. If not and the serial starts with NO or No it was still military. If the serial number starts with a C it was commerical. The lanyard loop mag was probably military. There were several "brands" of military 1911s for WWI, Colt, Remmington UMC, and Springfield Armory (the federal armory not the current company by that name). If it is a Colt, you can call Colt and they can tell you the year it was made.

Really to evaluate it we need better photos with more detail. Things like closeups of the slide stop, Barrel markings, safety, trigger, and any and all other markings will help. From what I see, it has been refinished and worth 800 to 1000. If all original including finish, it would be worth 2000 or more in today's market.

And naturally, I just noticed it was a Konigsburg so I really don't know what to say about that.

Last edited:

Harris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2015
    I'll see if my camera can take pics close enough to capture the markings you mentioned. Thanks for the info and help. I appreciate it.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Where are you located? Maybe if there are a few longtime members of this forum are nearby, they can help you figure all this out in person, knowing what to look for in this firearms...

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    The Norwegian .45 is likely the most valuable of the bunch, even if it is refinished. The last one I saw sell sold nearly 20 years ago for around $600 - and it'd been heavily polished and nickled which substantially devalued it. The picture you posted is dark, but if it hasn't been excessively polished it'll likely bring substantially more than a comparable USGI .45.

Eli

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I don't think anyone was trying to say they know better what your Dad would want, but more about how some, including me, have felt after getting rid of something our Dad treasured more than us. When I pick up something he treasured that I still have, even things I never cared much about, suddenly He isn't so gone for a while.
    You are right about that rifle, that is a little beauty.
    Can't offer much on price though. Good luck with the sale. Sorry for loss.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    The Chiappa 1911 .22 is probably the least valuable of the bunch, followed by the Beretta. For a private sale, I would think you could get $200 for the Chiappa, maybe a bit more. Not sure on the Beretta as I'm not too plugged into the value on the .25's. Consider posting these on this forum, texasguntrader and then maybe take them to a gun show if you don't have luck.

I'd recommend getting the 1911 evaluated by one or more collectors / enthusiasts. Same with the .22 rifle. Value is highly variable as other posters have mentioned.

Ultimately these are your guns and it is up to you to decide what you want to do with them. I wouldn't want you to regret your decision down the line, but if they aren't sentimental to you, then pass them along. If there is no sentimental value, I'd recommend selling the following order: Chiappa, Beretta, Browning, 1911. If you don't get the kind of money out of the Browning or 1911 that you'd like (based on realistic appraisals / recommendations from collectors/enthusiasts), then hold on to them for a little while. Their value should tend to increase with time.

Best of luck.

Harris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2015
    I want to thank all of you for providing advice. I will try to get in touch with a collector or gunsmith who has some expertise with the 1911 and the Luger. I'm in west Houston if anyone knows an expert who would be willing to take a look. I'm also going to take Rebel's suggestion and contact OIF2 on this forum regarding the 1911. I have taken some more pictures of both and am posting the 1911 pics first. I can't find any numbers of any kind on the Luger - only chamber and toggle inscriptions. Thanks again to everyone for educating me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2015
    More Luger photos. These 3 are all the site will let me upload now but they are better quality pics than I posted originally in this thread. The 1911 pics are better quality as well. 021.jpg 022.jpg 023.jpg

Top Bottom