Wanted to test out a firearm...

Discussion in 'Dallas & Fort Worth' started by randomoutburst, Nov 12, 2009.

1. randomoutburst

randomoutburst Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    Not sure if this is the right sub-forum, but here goes:

I was looking at purchasing a new handgun. My considerations are narrowed down to three pistols, all chambered in 9mm:
    Kahr K9
    Kimber Pro Aegis II
    Springfield EMP

Now, quite unfortunately, no ranges have the Kimber or Springfield for me to test-fire. Because they cost a considerable amount of money, I'm not willing to purchase before trying.

Does anyone in the Dallas area have either a Kimber Aegis II (Ultra, Pro, or Custom) and/or a Springfield EMP chambered in 9mm which they would be willing to let me and possibly my husband test fire? We live in McKinney and are up in the Sherman area frequently so wherever you live I'm sure there's a range somewhere in the middle where we could meet. We would buy the ammo and pay our own range fees of course.

You can PM me, reply in this thread, or (best option) email me at kristencolv@yahoo.com.

2. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Did you try DFW Gun Range? They might not have that specific Kimber, but they do have Kimbers to rent.

3. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    My wife shoots a Kimber Ultra Carry in 9mm. We should make the 13th meet.

4. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Hope you take this as the friendly compliment it is, but your wife is sexy! And I've never seen her!!:patriot:

5. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    How does it do with the 9mm in the 1911 frame, heard (never seen) there have been chambering issues, has she had any issues?

6. randomoutburst

randomoutburst Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    I didn't know the Ultra Carry had the option of 9mm! Well, darn it, I may have to add another to the list. :) I would like to make it to the meet but I'm scheduled to work that Sunday. :(

txinvestigator, I'm not looking for a Kimber specifically. Their guns just happen to fit very nicely in my hands. ;) I'm only looking for 1911-style handguns chambered in 9mm, so not just any Kimber will do . If they have it, great - I just shot off an email (comment form or something) to ask if they have any of those handguns available for rent, so hopefully I'll hear back from them soon. Someone told me they were membership only, so I hadn't even checked them out until you suggested it! Next time I'll check myself before assuming a range is membership only. :rolleyes:

Still, if anyone out there has one they're willing to let me test-shoot, I'm still up for that method of testing these models.
    Thanks!

EDIT: Well, I'll be darned...Last I looked at the Kimber website I was under the impression that my choices for 9mm were more limited than they really are! My list of considerations just grew to include the Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II and Tactical Pro II. I sure hope at least one range around here has even one of these so I can try them out...

7. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

We did. Had this been my first Kimber, I don't think I would have bought another. Since the break in, 400 or so rounds, this gun is now smooth a silk and hasn't hiccuped once. Total, I think we have close to 1500 rounds through it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, we also dumped the Kimber mags and switched over to Tripp mags. Night and day.

8. randomoutburst

randomoutburst Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    Got a response: they do not have any models that I am looking for available for test-fire. So that settles it: I need a test-fire with a private individual who's willing to let me try their handgun out.

9. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Bummer, so sorry.

10. F350-6

F350-6 Well-Known

May 25, 2009
    If you like the feel of a 1911, is there any reason you're against test firing one in a 45?

My Dad bought a SCCY CPX-1 (very similar to the Kahr P9) for my mother in 9mm. That thing kicks worse, is harder to shoot and less accurate than my commander size 1911 in 45.

If you're worried about recoil, don't discount the 45 since it can be less than a 9mm depending on the weapon size & configuration.