• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigbearw1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    killeen
    Hello all im new to reloading ammo and i need some advice from you guys and this is what i want to be able to reload handgun and rifle ammo i have read books and watched videos from youtube i just dont know what to get cuz there are so many out there and i want it to last for a long time

thank you for all your help on this matter
    Gun Zone Deals

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I'd start with a single stage press like the RCBS Rock Chucker. The Rock Chucker that I use most is over 30 years old. When you get accustomed to the way the dies work and how to adjust them, a progressive will work and you can still use the single stage for large rifle rounds.

That's my 2 cents. Been at reloading since about 1965 or 66 and I love doing it!

Flash

natgas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    check out the Dillon presses; tough to beat and lifetime no bs warranty

Any press will do but it's what you want to do with it that counts

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    See what your local gun store has in stock. Is it Hornady, Remington or another brand? Buy a basic reloading kit. It should include a reloading manual, small parts, a scale and a press. Sit down and read the reloading manual 2-3 times.
    Then buy a shell plate and dies, powder, primers and bullets and a kenetic bullet puller. Mount your press to a workbench and start loading. It's pretty simple if you read the manual and the instructions that come with the dies for setting them up.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    If you want high volume go progressive. If you want "bench rest" rifle rounds, go single stage.

A lot of people will tell you that you should start on a single stage, but if you have any kind of mechanical abilities, there's no need. I started reloading in 1996 on a Dillon XL650. I didn't get a single stage until a year or so ago, so I could custom tailor my .308 loads.

I'd rather walk on broken glass barefoot than load pistol on a single stage. It's frustrating enough loading 50 rifle rounds on a single stage...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I tried pistol on a single stage and wanted to drive nails in to my eyeballs.

Consider a turret press, good combination that will work well for both types of ammunition. Faster than a single stage, more precise than a progressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DannyT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Tyler
    I recently started reloading too. Didnt want to spend a fortune upfront and figure out that its not for me. I went with a Lee 4 hole turret press. Got the complete setup less reloading supplies shipped to the door for $400. This included the press, two turret plates, 9mm dies,.223 dies, digital scale, tumbler,sifting tray,auto prime attachment,Powder attachment,additional set of disk for the powder measure.I got some targets and a free bag of media tossed in by the seller. IF your interested, i can give you the shops contact information.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    Just starting out I will tell you that you can learn just as easily on a LEE Classic Turret press. Once you get the system down you should be able to crank out about 200 rounds per hour. Now, I'll turn forecaster because in my opinion it's only a matter of time before LEE starts making a progressive press based on the LEE Classic Turret. Then you'll be able to update your current LEE Classic Turret.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    We are here to help bigbear. I just bought a ton of reloading equipment and am about to start again. I will have extra items (probably enough for a good beginner set) but I haven't had time to go through it all. Once I get setup you are more than welcome to come watch and actually reload some before you buy.

bigbearw1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    killeen
    thank you all for all your input on reloading equipment and as for the invite Dawico i would love to watch someone reload some ammo in person that way if i have any questions i can ask them as they come up and thanks again everyone for all your help

SB1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2012
    Corpus Christi
    I started on a lee single stage just to get the concept down for rifle and pistol. I have a lee pro 1000 now some people hate them i love mine.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Hello all im new to reloading ammo and i need some advice from you guys and this is what i want to be able to reload handgun and rifle ammo i have read books and watched videos from youtube i just dont know what to get cuz there are so many out there and i want it to last for a long time

thank you for all your help on this matter

My Lee Classic Turret has worked great so far. Read "The ABC's of Reloading", at least the first 10 chapters, and read it again if you don't FULLY understand it. I read that book and watched countless YouTube videos before I ever bought anything. Reloading is something to approach with caution, but once you figure out how pressure works with inner diameter of casings, bullets of different weights and different powders, you should be good to go. Be patient is the best advice I can give you.

TX1980Al

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2012
    Wylie
    I am thinking about getting into reloading soon... I know there are press preferences but for the money Lee Precision II kit for $140 pretty good? I just need something for 9mm and 30-06. That amount is everything except the reloading book, dies and a scale tumbler but can add those for still total no more than $200... Any help would be good. I have read numerous posts about Dillon as well, just trying to get something that is a good quality but not a fortune for a beginner at reloading. Thanks

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    I am thinking about getting into reloading soon... I know there are press preferences but for the money Lee Precision II kit for $140 pretty good? I just need something for 9mm and 30-06. That amount is everything except the reloading book, dies and a scale tumbler but can add those for still total no more than $200... Any help would be good. I have read numerous posts about Dillon as well, just trying to get something that is a good quality but not a fortune for a beginner at reloading. Thanks

The press that comes with the kit is fine but the powder measure and scale can be challenging to say the least. It'll cost you more money but consider the LEE Classic Turret press because it will grow with you, it's easy to learn on and before long you can crank out about 200 rounds of handgun ammo per hour. For a powder measure, the RCBS Uniflow is hard to beat and I still use an RC-130 scale because it's designed specifically for weighing powder and I really don't weigh bullets very often and have another scale to use if I need to.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

I have some equipment in the for sale section that would be excellent for a beginner. RCBS equipment will last forever.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    If you are new to reloading I do NOT recommend using a progressive setup! Start with a single stage or turret and take your time learning the process.

Top Bottom