• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    If you are new to reloading I do NOT recommend using a progressive setup! Start with a single stage or turret and take your time learning the process.

I do.
    For pistol do NOT go with a single stage.
    I agree, for pistol progressive is the way to go.

My first press was progressive. There is nothing that stops you from going slow and examining one stage at a time on a progressive.

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    At least start with a turret, a single stage will be absolutely maddening to load pistol. Heck, I'm ready to upgrade to a progressive for pistol after only 6 months.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I recommend a single stage to newbies just because they are always handy to have around. You can move to a progressive very quickly but they can be overwhelming to people with limited experience. IMO everyone should own a single anyways.

Pistol loading does suck on a single stage press though.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    Regardless of the brand name, almost every single reload topic posted on this and other reloading forums that inquires about or addresses problems some has or has had, either with mechanical failures of the equipment, process, adjustments, primer seating, squibs, etc., are from folks using a progressive setup. It is almost unheard of to hear or read of problems reloading with a single stage, and only an occasional few with turrets. That is why I would NEVER recommend that a newbie start out with a progressive. I believe that it is important to understand and become familiar with the process and that is best learned using a single stage or turret setup. YES, it is not time efficient to reload pistol ammo with a single stage, but you will learn the process and the single stage press will become a integral part of your reload bench when you upgrade to a turret or progressive. To be able to crank out 500+ .45acp rounds in an hour using a progressive setup is impressive but should not be the goal of someone getting started reloading. The goal of a newbie is to LEARN the process so he or she can be able to SAFELY crank out quality rounds that are SAFE to shoot. Just say'n.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Regardless of the brand name, almost every single reload topic posted on this and other reloading forums that inquires about or addresses problems some has or has had, either with mechanical failures of the equipment, process, adjustments, primer seating, squibs, etc., are from folks using a progressive setup. It is almost unheard of to hear or read of problems reloading with a single stage, and only an occasional few with turrets. That is why I would NEVER recommend that a newbie start out with a progressive. I believe that it is important to understand and become familiar with the process and that is best learned using a single stage or turret setup. YES, it is not time efficient to reload pistol ammo with a single stage, but you will learn the process and the single stage press will become a integral part of your reload bench when you upgrade to a turret or progressive. To be able to crank out 500+ .45acp rounds in an hour using a progressive setup is impressive but should not be the goal of someone getting started reloading. The goal of a newbie is to LEARN the process so he or she can be able to SAFELY crank out quality rounds that are SAFE to shoot. Just say'n.

Agreed. I compare it to giving your 16 year old a standard transmission V8 Mustang or Camaro as their first car.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Single stage presses will go a good job but they are tedious for handgun calibers. Get a Lee 4 hole turret. It will last for many years and you can start out using it as a single stage while you're learning and even then it will be faster than a single stage because you won't have to be changing dies and adjusting them between steps. Get a turret for each caliber you load and you'll be a happy shooter.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    I do.
    For pistol do NOT go with a single stage.

Sent from me.

+ 1

I started with a 650. I load about 12 different cal's Been loading for about 8 years.

Got my 1st single stage reloading press TODAY ! Rock Chucker Suprime........Why ?

Not to reload with !.......I got it to swage bullets.

If you can read, follow directions and pat attention to details, there is no reason to start with a single stage.

Especially if you are loading mostly handgun rounds.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Regardless of the brand name, almost every single reload topic posted on this and other reloading forums that inquires about or addresses problems some has or has had, either with mechanical failures of the equipment, process, adjustments, primer seating, squibs, etc.,are from folks using a progressive setup.
    That's not entirely fair. Simply because someone buys a progressive and then doesn't read the instructions or bother to learn how to operate it properly doesn't mean progressives are bad for newbies. A progressive can be a single stage and much more, which is why it is fantastic for everyone. Idiots who chose to jump in head first when the bottom is 3' deep shouldn't reflect badly on the rest of us or scare off those with common sense.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I'd like to share something else in this older thread.

Reloading gear isn't like other products. If you buy a toaster or microwave, after a week or so, it's used and worth a fraction of what you paid for it. Reloading gear is different. Once you invest in good gear, it's yours for life. I have gear that I bought in approximately 1967, it's still 100% usable, parts are available and I could sell it for a profit after owning it all these years. My oldest of two RCBS Rock Chuckers works great, is still worth what I paid for it back then and it will outlive me! Overall, it's a terrific investment.

I urge you to buy what's popular, however. There were some presses from back then that were complex, heavy and have today, the same appeal that Beta Max VCR tapes. For example, contrast the RCBS Rock Chucker with the RCGS "Green Machine". You can research those. Sales records don't lie. Presses that have sold hundreds of thousands of copies will be around for a long, time and retain their value.

Flash

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Check out the new RCBS rebate for 2013. Buy $300 worth, basically a Rock Chucker kit and a set of dies @ Natchezss, and get either $50 back or 500 Speer bullets.

Hint: take the bullets.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I also disagree with having to start with a single stage. The first press I bought was a Dillon 650. Take your time and study what is going on. You can easily use it like a single stage until you are comfortable with what is happening and everything is adjusted properly. Loading pistol rounds on a single stage will quickly make you suicidal. I did buy a single stage later, but only use it for low volume precision rifle rounds.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I also disagree with having to start with a single stage. The first press I bought was a Dillon 650. Take your time and study what is going on. You can easily use it like a single stage until you are comfortable with what is happening and everything is adjusted properly. Loading pistol rounds on a single stage will quickly make you suicidal. I did buy a single stage later, but only use it for low volume precision rifle rounds.

+1. Verbatim.

"Those who appease a tiger do so in hope that the tiger will eat them last."
    -Winston Churchill

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I went back through this older thread and feel that the dilemma faced by the op is what most reloaders struggle with. I would like to straighten up a few things about single stage reload presses. The guys say these are slow and annoying. They are just doing it wrong.

Progressive and turret presses give you a completed round in one or a couple of movements of the handle. Single stage presses process the brass in batches using loading blocks. I can take 100 brass cases, place them in blocks and run each operation on each piece in the block. Then the next operation is performed on each piece. Later, all cases are charged with powder then all have a bullet seated. You can run a lot of rounds but you process them in batches instead of one round at a time.

Done correctly, a hundred rounds can be run very quickly and quality control ESPECIALLY in powder charges is extremely good. In the charging operation, I take a light and look at each powder charge in the cases. If one has a high or low charge, you can see it instantly! The major plus side of running cases on single stage press is that the loader really learns how the dies work and how to adjust them.

On a progressive or turret press, a powder cop or other brand of sensing rod can check your charges as you load but they tend to pick up powder as you use them and make a mess on the press. A few grains transferred to the primer seating stage gives you dented primers. I have two of those sensor units and prefer not to use them.

My recommendation.....new loaders use single stage presses then when they learn the craft, graduate to a progressive or turret press then use the single stage unit for lower quantity large rifle cases.

We definitely disagree.

Flash

Last edited:

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    You can pull the arm 3x more often on a single stage or get a good progressive and be done with it.

I've loaded 15-20k on my Dillon 650. I wouldn't load a pistol round in any other way.

These loads shoot better than I can.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357102284.569758.jpg

-Winston Churchill

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    You can pull the arm 3x more often on a single stage or get a good progressive and be done with it.

I've loaded 15-20k on my Dillon 650. I wouldn't load a pistol round in any other way.

These loads shoot better than I can.
    View attachment 17468

-Winston Churchill

thats what I want.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357171046.628828.jpg
    1000 that I cranked out this afternoon.

-Winston Churchill

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357254639.678330.jpg

Oh shit. Ran outta bullets.

-Winston Churchill

Top Bottom