• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I have reloaded for over 25 years. I reload everything from .380 ACP up to 30.06 Winchester. I even reload the 7.62x54R bullet for my Mosin. I started out with a RCBS Special 5 kit. I then upgraded to a RCBS Rock Chucker and finally added a Dillion 550B progressive. I still have all of the presses mentioned. I reload .45 ACP ammo on the Dillion, and I reload everything else on the Rock Chucker . A progressive reloader is great if you shoot a lot. I usually shoot about 200 rounds of .45 ACP a week, when the weather is nice. My Springfield Armory stainless "Loaded" 1911 turned over 20,000 rounds down the pipe this past fall. It is still going strong. I reload my rifle ammo on the Rock Chucker press because I get a much more accurate reload. I do not shoot as many rifle rounds per month as I do pistol rounds. Case prep for bottleneck cartridges is where the most time is spent. Case prep for straight wall pistol or revolver brass is simple. I recommend you start out simple with a single stage press. If you find you enjoy the time required to reload, you can always upgrade to a progressive press later on. The three presses I have are used to reload various cartridges, and each works well for what I reload on it. What ever you choose, I wish you good luck and hope you have as much fun with your reloading as I do with mine.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Reloading is an evolutionary process that progresses on a learning curve. I have had 3 Dillion RL450's, two Dillon RL550b's, a Texan 12 gauge and three MEC 600jr's over the years since I stated loading in 1966. I like the progressive and turret presses and use them but we were talking about a STARTING point for learning the craft.

By learning on a single stage press then graduating to a progressive later, you still have the single stage unit to load the low volume rifle rounds like .270, .243 or 30-30. I agree that the multi stage is the way to load pistol rounds. I have 11 caliber conversions for the Dillon 550B presses but still load things like 32 S&W long on the Rock Chucker.

The main thing is to learn the craft and learn about the dies and the best way to do that is on a single stage press. I'm a retired teacher so images of the teaching profession creep into my posts. Learning reloading on a single or multistage press is like learning swimming by being thrown in deep water unprepared OR by having some instruction and practice first before entering the water. Either way, you will learn to swim.

That being said, Thumbs up to all of you! I don't care what you use to reload just so you reload. We are all brothers in that regard.

AKMike...If you can get to Baytown, we'll have classes! I'm retired so I have plenty of time!

Flash

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I'm with Roger, to each his own. I'm not a high volume shooter, so I prefer to hand inspect every round as they progress from stage to stage. The turret press gets it done for me but a Dillon square deal B is probably in the cards for 2013. I have heard of a few people who have loaded squibs and set off primers right here on this site. I can honestly say, I have never had an issue like that loading the way I do.... and I might have already quit reloading if I had, rather be safe than sorry.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I learned on my 650.
    Never had a need for single stage until I got a precision bolt gun.

"Those who appease a tiger do so in hope that the tiger will eat them last."
    -Winston Churchill

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Reloading is an evolutionary process that progresses on a learning curve. I have had 3 Dillion RL450's, two Dillon RL550b's, a Texan 12 gauge and three MEC 600jr's over the years since I stated loading in 1966. I like the progressive and turret presses and use them but we were talking about a STARTING point for learning the craft.

By learning on a single stage press then graduating to a progressive later, you still have the single stage unit to load the low volume rifle rounds like .270, .243 or 30-30. I agree that the multi stage is the way to load pistol rounds. I have 11 caliber conversions for the Dillon 550B presses but still load things like 32 S&W long on the Rock Chucker.

The main thing is to learn the craft and learn about the dies and the best way to do that is on a single stage press. I'm a retired teacher so images of the teaching profession creep into my posts. Learning reloading on a single or multistage press is like learning swimming by being thrown in deep water unprepared OR by having some instruction and practice first before entering the water. Either way, you will learn to swim.

That being said, Thumbs up to all of you! I don't care what you use to reload just so you reload. We are all brothers in that regard.

AKMike...If you can get to Baytown, we'll have classes! I'm retired so I have plenty of time!

Flash

Thanks Roger when I start working I plan on getting a single stage, and a progressive press. Since I plan on shooting IDPA and building a bolt gun. My mom lives in Dayton so I could use visiting her as an excuse to drive that direction your only 45-60 min east of her.

Last edited:

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I had a Dillion Square Deal B press set up for .45 ACP. After 6 months of use it began to act up. It would click on the handle up stroke and either a new primer would flip out onto the floor or it would drop the whole primer stack in the handle pivot area. I completed rebuilt the primer system with new parts from Dillion, but the problem persisted. I returned the press to Dillion for service. It came back working perfectly, for another six months that is. Some how it was getting out of phase. I quit using the primer feed station and began to hand seat all of my pistol primers. I eventually sold the press, warning the buyer of the flaw. The new buyer also hand seated his primers, so he didn't care that the press had a problem. I upgraded to the Dillion 550B and have had no problems in over two years of reloading.

azcooper

Infantry Forever!!!
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Abilene Texas
    I have been using a single RCBS rocker chucker since 1980. It is still going strong. It is really relaxing to reload.

DefendeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Thanks for all the info.I will start doing reloads soon.Jst gathering all the information I need now...gun show this weekend(I'm a Texan who resides in Florida).

fgarcia3441

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    SA (Sea World Area)
    My recommendation.....new loaders use single stage presses then when they learn the craft, graduate to a progressive or turret press then use the single stage unit for lower quantity large rifle cases.

I agree with Roger, start with a single stage press and than upgrade to a progressive press. Last time I check all major progressive reloading press manufacturer Dillon, Lee and Hornady are running at least 4 to 6 week behind. If you do find a progressive press make sure you are not paying a premium because of the rush. I found a retailer that had a Lee load master and they were asking $100 more than suggested retail price. I would get a single stage and get your foundation and than once everything settles down and you still want to reload buy your progressive press.
    Also the single stage press are not that slow, once you get rhythm you can do about 50 rounds in 15-20 minutes. Is not a race to load 1000 rounds an hour, you are looking for safety, accuracy and savings.

my 2 pennies

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    There are quite a few new reloaders starting out with progressives these days. The problem is that a good many of them will only learn to become handle pullers to make reloading expedient. Not only is the LEE Classic Turret a good choice to start with as it can be used single stage, you can progress to 200 rounds of handgun ammo per hour after learning the fundamentals of reloading. One of the most overlooked features of any press is Top-Dead-Center and until recently that feature was mostly used by REDDING on their presses. Both the LEE Classic Cast and the Classic Turret have Top-Dead-Center which gives precise control of OACL. Another advantage of the LEE Classic Turret as a starter press along with being able to use it as a precision single stage, is that more than likely, LEE will introduce a progressive based on the Classic Turret. Then you have all the bases covered from single stage to Turret and more than likely, Progressive and all that will be needed to convert the Classic Turret to a progressive will be an update kit. Dillon's are fine if you really feel you need to spend that kind of money LATER. Just don't ask Dillon about Top-Dead-Center because none of their Presses have it and they'll try to convince you it isn't necessary for even match grade ammo. When I do precision or +P handgun loads, they are done on a REDDING press with Top-Dead-Center and I can hold OACL tolerances on a good day to +/- .001". Top-Dead-Center has a place in automated loading and LEE has evidently discovered the virtues as REDDING has always known.

Last edited:

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    I bought my first new gun at Grant Ilsing's in Houston in 1965. Since it was a Rem M600 in 6mm Rem, it wasn't ammunition carried by every store. I started reloading on an old CH press, basically from necessity. I bought my Rock Chucker from Glenn Slade's, also in Houston, in 1972. A few years ago, I bought a Lee Cast Iron Turret and then moved up, as I thought at the time, to a Hornady LNL AP. After acquiring shell plates and etc. I have over $700 tied up in the Hornady, only to spend most of my reloading time on the older two presses. I actually use the Lee more than anything else right now, mainly because I don't have to swap dies like I have to do on the RC. I use an RCBS Lockout Die on the Hornady and mainly use that press for what I call "fodder" loaded with ball powder. On most progressives, ball powders are recommended, which is OK if you like ball powder. I happen to use a lot of extruded tube powder and flake powder that meters like gravel, so I use a scale a lot.

From reading a lot of different forums, the most common factor in Kabooms and squibs has been use of progressive presses without a powder checking die of some sort. There is a difference in reloading and handloading, handloading doesn't happen on a progressive press.

rmorgan9718

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    I started with RCBS single stage over 30 yrs. ago, and loaded everything with it. Now I have 3 Dillon 550's, and am just adding a Hornady Projector, but I still use the Rock Chucker for rifle cartridges. Just anal about some things. One item over-looked in a basic kit is a bullet puller. You are going to screw up, but knowing that will make you more observant and careful. So when you do, pull the bullet, dump the powder, and start again. One other piece you may want to invest in, especially if you will be loading more rifle ammo, is Lee's Auto Primer. I have worn out one and am on the last legs of a second one in 30+ yrs. Best investment a beginner can make for ensuring the primer is properly seated.

My $0.02 worth,
    Good luck
    Rick

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    I've broken a couple of old Lee Auto Prime handles, but repaired both with the new stye handles. It may take a little fitting, but the end product is well worth the time invested!

Top Bottom