• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    I miss having a Blows and a HomeDespot across the street from each other. They both used to advertise a 10% discount below anyone's advertised price. It cost them a bunch.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    There was a story floating around that the wife of the Home Depot guy started Lowe’s because HD didn’t carry enough decorating stuff and mostly had building contractor stuff. Not sure if it is true, Lowe’s has more decorating stuff vs manly stuff

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    There was a story floating around that the wife of the Home Depot guy started Lowe’s because HD didn’t carry enough decorating stuff and mostly had building contractor stuff. Not sure if it is true, Lowe’s has more decorating stuff vs manly stuff
    Lowe's started about 30 years before HD. It started in N Wilkesboro, NC. Their second store was in Sparta, NC, just a few miles from where I grew up.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    Lowe's started about 30 years before HD. It started in N Wilkesboro, NC. Their second store was in Sparta, NC, just a few miles from where I grew up.

Lowe's was founded in 1921 by Lucius Lowe in Wilkesboro, North Carolina, as a small hardware store. Lowe died in 1940 and the business was sold to his brother Jim Lowe. In 1943, Lucius Lowe's son in law, H. Carl Buchan became his partner.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    You can frequently avoid the 'in stock' dilemma by checking online. The website will tell you how many they have on hand, and where it's located. Of course, the website in-stock data is only as good as the info that's input, so it's certainly no guarantee.

If Home Depot offers free delivery for the item(s) I want, I frequently order that way. It magically appears on my front porch in a day or two!

When I worked retail for a company with online shopping, I would always say, "if the system says we have 10 in stock, just assume the actual number is 1." :)

OldPhart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2017
    Orangefield
    I've got the Lowe's 5% credit card....I don't do that much anymore. I got out of the habit of shopping at HD when I lived in Cali. The ones closest to to where I lived were infested with day-workers. Aggressive, especially with women alone. One even had a covered pavillion with vending machines, a food truck and outhouses for them. Lowe's had none of that. Better quality of employees also.
    Out here, neither of them do seem to put up with day-workers. What a difference!

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    From my experience, all the different Lowes account types have the same 10% discount, and they don't stack. I have the military benefit, my wife has a contractor account, and my daughter gets an employee discount. However, it's 10% no matter which accuse use.

Lowe's and Home Depot used to only give the discount on Veteran's Day. It was always up to the individual location to offer it year round. But that must have changed since adding veteran status to online accounts.
    On several occasions Lowes has refused to offer a military discount as they said it didn't apply to discounted items. I then purchased the items at Home Depot.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    By 'Day Workers' do you mean people desirous of work like you take them home, at noon buy them lunch and they do things like prune tree limbs, dig out stumps, etc. and at the end of the day take them back to HD?

But act: "Aggressive, especially with women alone"

Who would hire such 'super undesirables' as they sound more like criminals than 'day workers'.

I would never hire one unless they had references from a trusted source.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Rewards accounts cost you, they don’t pay you. This goes for store accounts, credit cards, you name it. Back to tools.

For corded stuff I usually buy yellow and cordless is red. Unless I absolutely need it, I don’t buy a tool unless it’s on sale and I get the .mil discount. I also generally avoid tools listed as special purchase packs as most of them include too much crap I won’t use.

Starting next month, I’m going to go thru hand tools to make one big set and weed out the duplicate 10mm deeps, non Craftsman MIA, etc. Moving forward, I’m looking at a couple of hand tool lines to find my next brand to start filling what few gaps I have. Honestly that’s air and metal working tools, mostly.

My next big project is going to be a lot of metal work; rivets galore and building wiring harnesses. That project needs a real shop though.

I could use a couple of deep 10mm. Just sayin.....

What is it about that socket?

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    By 'Day Workers' do you mean people desirous of work like you take them home, at noon buy them lunch and they do things like prune tree limbs, dig out stumps, etc. and at the end of the day take them back to HD?

Who would hire such 'super undesirables' as they sound more like criminals than 'day workers'.

When I lived elsewhere if you stopped your truck near the group of laborers 3-4 of them would simply attempt to get in your truck, almost shoving other laborers out of the way. In my broken spanglish I had to tell them I didn't have work for them I was simply looking for a place to park. It was a little scary even as a male multiple men trying to get into my vehicle, I imagine that would be terrifying as a woman. I have seen 3-4 men just hop inside a truck and because the vehicle's doors weren't locked they got in and just sat there until the driver told them to get out which they did.

OldPhart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2017
    Orangefield

Out here, there are enough neighborhood kids willing to work for gas money. All I've got to do is return with some construction materials or put the word out during the week and it gets handled. I also make sure they have plenty of water, snacks or whatever they prefer. They have a home to go to and will be able to eat if they don't get any odd jobs. In Cali, they are trying to support a family of 6 or so with what they make at HD, hence the aggression. Probably the same in Dallas/Houston/San Antonio.
    Just today, my wife hit a pothole and wrecked a tire. While she was on the phone with me, a guy in a wrecker stopped and changed her tire for free....Wouldn't take a dime; just gave her a card and said just recommend me to your friends.
    The difference between Cali & Texas is night & day my friends.

Edit....I know Outlaw Star from another board...he speaks the truth. I forgot about that rush if your doors aren't locked.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Lots of contractors hire those guys.

Best practice is that if yo see a big group of men, don't drive by them.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    I had a similar experience at COSTCO.

I've been a loyal Sam's Club customer for 25 years and thought it might be nice to also have a COSTCO membership. So, I decided to check it out.

I walked into COSTCO with the idea that I could simply pay the membership fee, maybe sign a few documents, and start shopping. To my surprise, it wasn't that straightforward. I was presented with various membership tiers like Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and more. I was asked to fill out multiple documents, page after page, detailing all sorts of benefits. They even wanted to discuss potential future travel and incentives. Forty-five minutes later, I was feeling overwhelmed and just wanted to go home.

I informed the staff that I wanted to cancel the process as it was taking much longer than I had anticipated on a Saturday morning. Cancelling the documentation and initiation fees took another 30+ minutes.

In the end, it simply wasn't worth my time to go through such a lengthy and complicated procedure.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Ozzman,

Thanks for the 'heads up'.

If ever a CC is built nearby, I'll avoid it as I will not 'willing' give participate in such presumptuous information collecting.

The nerve...I'm sure some mba thought up all that garbage...

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    When I first got membership at Sams and Costco, it was a simple process. I thought I would use each a year and decide which to keep. Each has advantages.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Ozzman,

Thanks for the 'heads up'.

If ever a CC is built nearby, I'll avoid it as I will not 'willing' give participate in such presumptuous information collecting.

The nerve...I'm sure some mba thought up all that garbage...
    And they probably got a healthy bonus for thinking it up. In 2022 alone Costco raked in $4.2BBBillion from membership fees alone. Why not collect data and sell that for a few hundred million too? What are you going to do? Stop shopping at Costco?

Top Bottom